The Invitation

Maybe me but I just don't get what it is supposed to be?
Ink well with a feather quill , Invertation written then sealed with a red wax seal matrix , Wax melted by the candle , Not sure where the mask comes into it ?

Ink well with a feather quill , Invertation written then sealed with a red wax seal matrix , Wax melted by the candle , Not sure where the mask comes into it ?

Masked ball?

Whatever. I like it. Well set up and taken Ryan :D

That's a lovely image, very nicely done.
Nicely done
Thanks guys!
I leave the interpretation to the beholder although I had a sort of vintage masquerade ball theme in mind with the title. I thought it sounded better than 'An Arranged Bunch of Junk from my Drawers'. ;)
Masked ball?

Whatever. I like it. Well set up and taken Ryan :D
Phew, Nail on the head Alan! Thanks:D
Glad it didn't evade everyone although I might have to rethink my title if it is causing confusion for a significant number of viewers.

Thanks guys!

I leave the interpretation to the beholder although I had a sort of vintage masquerade ball theme in mind with the title. I thought it sounded better than 'An Arranged Bunch of Junk from my Drawers'. ;)

Phew, Nail on the head Alan! Thanks:D
Glad it didn't evade everyone although I might have to rethink my title if it is causing confusion for a significant number of viewers.

TBH Ryan I thought it was screamingly obvious and although I'm quite old now I'm not actually old enough to have been to a masked ball :D

It is IMO a nice picture and well set up and taken.

TBH Ryan I thought it was screamingly obvious and although I'm quite old now I'm not actually old enough to have been to a masked ball :D

It is IMO a nice picture and well set up and taken.
I have been subjected to too many period dramas my missus seems to love, think its bleeding through to my photography...

Thanks again :)
Looks good.
Cheers Dominic!

I have been subjected to too many period dramas my missus seems to love, think its bleeding through to my photography...

Thanks again :)

Cheers Dominic!

Look at it this way... In another 100 years time people will still recognise what that picture is about.

Very nice still life style capture Ryan, liking this one very much.

There are some that claim photography is not art.
I think you've come up with an image that refutes that opinion totally!
Very well done

Great stuff Ryan.

I like the story telling & mood you've created here.

Gaz

You've put a lot of effort into this Ryan and it shows. Love the lighting and POV.

Nice! Constructively the white strobe brings it into the 21st century, perhaps some warm filters or more candle light for a more period feel?

Very nicely done, theme is well interpreted.

first of all, apologies for taking nearly 2 months to actually say something about the picture... I did spot it early this month, and made a note to come back here and say my 2-pennorth, but life's been a little busy...

First of all, the Title - The Invitation - perfect, sets the stage perfectly for this image.

IMO the better still life shots should be something that manages to tell a story from a single frame... A friend of mine who worked in films used to say they were like the "keyframes" in a storyboard. This image certainly tells its own story - The Mask being feathered and ornate almost certainly would be a ladies mask, the make masks being more likely un-adorned with feathers, and probably either relatively plain, or decorated in metal filigree work - as always, the object of the male at a ball/dance being to be a plain canvas to allow the ladies beauty to be highlighted (much the same reason that black tie / white tie is relatively constricted in its appearance today - not to outshine the ladies apparel) The mask in itself is a wonderful "prop" and I love the contrast between the Black Feathering and lacework around the eyes, and the warm orange/red of the contrasting colours. The Darker nature of the colour scheme adds a touch of mystery to the proceedings, as Dark or Black masks are usually considered to denote personality traits including elegance, authority, dignity, sophistication, mystery, and seduction.
So, we have some lady, perhaps a slightly more mature widower, writing a form of invitation to presumably her Gentleman of choice. The Ornate nature of the seal implies that the family is well to do, and I would have expected the Quill to be either Swan of Goose primary (from the left wing, if the writer was right-handed)

The Writing implements and note being on a small salver is a nice touch too.

And so to the things I'm not 100% onboard with

Honestly, while I can see, from a photographic and ease of set building aspect, how the Black Corduroy sheet for the backdrop AND the tablecover works, I think that the shot deserves a bit of dark polished wood under the salver, and some more traditional wallpaper as a backdrop, perhaps a dark green and set back from the table enough to be losing the light. Fabric in the way of say some dark velvet curtaining would also be a possibility. Certainly not however corduroy, as to be honest that was more associated with middle to working class peoples clothing rather than opulent country house furnishings.

None of the last paragraph takes away from the Image as it stands, but IMO sometimes the background and table can often set more of the scene than the props themselves.

Seriously ? The stuff I wrote above was cut down from maybe 5-6 paragraphs of a story that sprang fully fledged to my mind on the first sight of this image... Honestly, I do sometimes find myself amazed at the lack of imagination and insight some people exhibit on a forum thats ostensibly about an artistic and creative media.

fortunately, it does seem that in this case, it IS "just you"...

Masked ball?
Very nicely done, theme is well interpreted.

Technically, While I don't normally "do" technical critique, as it's usually covered by more "gear-oriented" people in the thread, and I think my time is often better spent in a more artistic (there-i've said the A Word) appraisal, I do find myself thinking ever so slightly that

...the white strobe brings it into the 21st century, perhaps some warm filters or more candle light for a more period feel?

I can only speak for myself, but lots of my still life work has candles in it, and they're an absolute PIG to work with. To get the effect of actual candle-light, you end up having to shoot in really low light to get the rendering of the light from the candle-flame onto the other props - meaning you often have 20+ second exposures. Then have to do another one with a "blip" of flash to freeze the candle flame as during the 20 second exposure, you'll have all kinds of "guttering" blur to the flame shape. No wonder most of my more successful images have actually had the candle just extinguished rather than being made a feature of.

I'd agree though that the reflections on the black mask feathers particularly could do with being a slightly "warmer" white.

Please take my criticisms in the spirit intended - I enjoyed this photograph so much, I've been waiting nearly 2 months to get a spare hour or so to give it worthwhile critique - its IMO way up there as one of my favourite images of the year, and you should be rightly proud.

Back