The iPhone 8 and X cameras.

I've had iPhones for years and am sticking with the 6s as it has a headphone socket.

I have recently got an Android for a work phone (after Blackberry and Windows phones) and I have to say it is fantastic, much prefer it to iOS and I am seriously considering swapping myself and would have done already if I wasn't stuck in the Mac ecosystem (arrgh!). Basically Apple hardware is amazing, probably the best but their software is generally poor compared to Google (especially maps, which is one of the most important apps for me) and my new Android phone shows how far Google have moved, come on Apple!!

In reality I suspect I will remain stuck in Apple world but if I were starting from scratch I would get a Windows laptop and an Android phone.

If I gave my grandad an android tablet or iPad, I would have to set it up, including the WiFi connection for him and I would install WhatsApp for him at the same time.

So how do you install Whatsapp on an iPad? Step by step instructions would be nice...

No idea, I don't use apple devices because I find the OS horrible and restrictive on all of them.

So how would you set it up for grandad as you posted?

You weren’t just posting uninformed rubbish, were you?

:rolleyes:

I would look it up, as I am able to follow instructions. (iMessage would be useless as I don't have an apple device to contact him).
WhatsApp only works on phones not tablets, even iPads (not sure about Android tablets but think not) with SIM cards. You can use a web interface on a tablet and there are some third party apps that claim to work but not easily whereas iMessage just works. FB messenger works OK on iPads though it's a phone app.

WhatsApp only works on phones not tablets, even iPads (not sure about Android tablets but think not) with SIM cards. You can use a web interface on a tablet and there are some third party apps that claim to work but not easily whereas iMessage just works. FB messenger works OK on iPads though it's a phone app.
Then the webapp would work. But iMessage simply cannot work to communicate with anyone who does not have an apple device.

Then the webapp would work. But iMessage simply cannot work to communicate with anyone who does not have an apple device.
That is not entirely true since it just sends SMS to non Apple devices, however I agree that is not necessarily free.

That is not entirely true since it just sends SMS to non Apple devices, however I agree that is not necessarily free.

But that is using SMS protocol, which all phones use, not the iMessage APN protocols.
But that's what I said! You said iMessage " cannot wirk to communicate with anyone who does not have an Apple device" and I said that is not entirely true since it just sends SMS ...... etc etc.

Bizarrely he doesn’t quite get that, and just keeps repeating the same mantra over and over, the original comment was that iMessage was a good thing only on iOS, he is either slightly obtuse or just not able to comprehend the original statement...

My point is that it isn't that special.

So explain what else does the same job with the same amount of setup required...

Perhaps also educate us on alternatives to FaceTime that also just work without any setup required and can be operated by oldies with less than 5 minutes instruction (which was also mentioned in the original post made that you replied to).

Last edited:
When did email become an instant messenger that requires no setup on a device?

I could almost consider calling you stupid for that strange idea that iMessage is just email...
I didn't say it is just email. But it achieves the same, unlimited text and sending images free of charge. And with notifications on email apps it is as good as instant messaging with the integrated contacts linked to the accounts that you setup the device with.

I didn't say it is just email. But it achieves the same, unlimited text and sending images free of charge. And with notifications on email apps it is as good as instant messaging with the integrated contacts linked to the accounts that you setup the device with.

Except it’s not email.

I’m visualising you about waist deep in a hole as you continue digging ;)

Except it’s not email.

I’m visualising you about waist deep in a hole as you continue digging ;)

You said explain what else does the same job with the same amount of setup required. Email does. It is setup in exactly the same way, when you enter your details the first time you use the device.

So when you buy a phone your email just works? No setup required?

And it’s as easy to use as iMessage? You just type a message and click send and it’s gone, you then receive an immediate delivered report? It even works if the other person doesn’t have an email account set up (as a lot of oldies don’t use email)? And if the other person doesn’t have email on their old Nokia 5110 the email still arrives in their text messages?

I wish I knew how to set up email like that :cool:

You said explain what else does the same job with the same amount of setup required. Email does. It is setup in exactly the same way, when you enter your details the first time you use the device.

Except it doesn’t work in the same way, does it?

This was a discussion about sending messages over wifi without mobile data, which iMessage cannot do to all devices.
Well not really, this is one of those threads where the OP (you) makes a announcement that he is not going to buy product X. I've never really understood those posts, there are tons of things I am not going to buy but I've never felt the need to announce any of my non-purchases ;~)

And how does that change the fact that it (and FaceTime) is a unique advantage for iOS users?
It's not really an advantage if you can achieve the same thing with a different app.
Well not really, this is one of those threads where the OP (you) makes a announcement that he is not going to buy product X. I've never really understood those posts, there are tons of things I am not going to buy but I've never felt the need to announce any of my non-purchases ;~)
The original post was about how I thought the cameras in the new iPhones were interesting but ultimately gimmicky advancements that I thought detracted from photography. My explanation about why I don't use apple products was not the main point.

I'm not going to buy a Porsche :)

It's not really an advantage if you can achieve the same thing with a different app.

Except you can’t, it’s not email, you could continue digging or just say you don’t like it, and that is the reason you won’t use it. You don’t have to make things up to justify your dislike...

Except you can’t, it’s not email, you could continue digging or just say you don’t like it, and that is the reason you won’t use it. You don’t have to make things up to justify your dislike...
I can instant message more people on FB messenger than you can on imessage. There are more fb messenger users than iOS users and I can video call on there too.

I can instant message more people on FB messenger than you can on imessage. There are more fb messenger users than iOS users and I can video call on there too.

So Facebook messenger works to people without Facebook? And doesn’t need an app installed on the phone to work?

Dig....dig...dig...

imessage doesn't work to people without an apple device. SMS is not an imessage. Facetime doesn't work to non apple users.

So what does that have to do with the statement that iMessage is a unique advantage to iOS users?

Dig...dig...dig...

This thread has nothing to do with the cameras on the iPhones anymore, as intended.

Well, you have been arguing like an obtuse android fanboy in an effort to justify your personal dislike...

Are you going to answer the last question?

Back