The Lovely Helen - My first portrait shoot

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
A girl I used to get on the school bus with 9+ years ago asked me via Facebook recently to take some photos of her. Seeing as she is incredibly hot and a lovely person (yes I am now in love with her as we had an AWESOME evening together) I thought it was a perfect opportunity to get my first portrait shoot out of the way.

I made a few mistakes during the shoot which has resulted in a few areas out of focus, but it was all very much a learning experience for both of us.

Feedback very much appreciated, as harsh as you like :)

1//
3630188518_82113592c2.jpg

2//
3630201922_094a72a5cb.jpg

3//
3629378691_7d9afd76ce.jpg

4//
3629385357_18e2b7ea12.jpg

5//
3630195840_aff1616227.jpg

6//
3630191002_7f192a8a27.jpg

7//
3630185688_33286cb8d2.jpg

8//
3629366831_b4ee12a847.jpg

Hair on the left was out of focus so I tried a crop:

9//
3629367897_65f9857bc5.jpg

4,5 and 7 for me please

great shots and good luck if the romance blossoms ;)

Well, she is recently single after a 6 year relationship. I am recently single after a 2 year relationship.

We have been speaking loads though and we get on so well. I can't stop thinking about her :(

Thanks for the comments though :)

i like them all but 2, 4 and 7 are the ones that stand out for me.
Btw, she is hot(y)(y)

great work, she seems very comfortable with you...clearly you need to see her again to get some more practise

Easy fav shot for me - out of a super set, it has to be number 7. You did a great job there, nice one.

She could easily be a model, very attractive lady.

3 and 6 for me mate really natural portraits with cracking colour and well balanced flash.

This one was a bit of a laugh, just a joke pout she did. I like it, but that is probably because I fancy the pants off her.

What are your thoughts?

10//
3630629978_51307261c3.jpg

I also processed a few more in the style of the no. 7 as I had some really positive comments about it.

11//
3629870941_71e2eb86d0.jpg

12//
3629872953_2b30fa7304.jpg

Last edited:
Good shots, yes. But let's face it, you'd have to be a pretty rubbish TOG with a really crap camera to take a bad photo of her.

But...

IMHO, I think you might have just over cooked the PP on some of those shots.

But...

The second to last one on post 21 is a really excellent shot. The best of the lot.

Good shots, yes. But let's face it, you'd have to be a pretty rubbish TOG with a really crap camera to take a bad photo of her.

But...

IMHO, I think you might have just over cooked the PP on some of those shots.

But...

The second to last one on post 21 is a really excellent shot. The best of the lot.

Yeah I think that is my favourite one as well. I'm glad I went back to process it.

Thanks for your comments. I was concerned that I had over done some of them, but being my first shoot I couldn't help but go for some of the less natural looking shots (y)
Out of interest, could you point out which ones you think are overcooked so that I can go back and see what I did that caused it? I would really appreciate it, thanks.

I can't wait until next time now, I know there is LOADS of room for improvement and learning but I really appreciate all of the positive and constructive comments, thank you all :wave:

Thanks for your comments. I was concerned that I had over done some of them, but being my first shoot I couldn't help but go for some of the less natural looking shots (y)
Out of interest, could you point out which ones you think are overcooked so that I can go back and see what I did that caused it? I would really appreciate it, thanks.:

No. 4 is the one I think is mostly over done. Just a tad too much smoothing and popping. Makes it look a little un natural, and if nothing else, she has a very natural type of beauty which I don't think suits smoothing. Smoothing is more for 'Jordan' type of model I think.

I'm pretty sure you'd get away without any PP on those shots. You lucky bugger! :)

Surprisingly the only smoothing I really did was to remove stray hairs around her face. I guess some may have happened naturally as I tweaked other things :)

very simple but the results speak for themselves.

her eyes most certainly pop and the great choice of colour of clothing to compliment her hair

no.7 for me. great classic shot (did you stand there fanning her to get the movement? :))

great allround set.

very simple but the results speak for themselves.

her eyes most certainly pop and the great choice of colour of clothing to compliment her hair

no.7 for me. great classic shot (did you stand there fanning her to get the movement? :))

great allround set.

Thanks oli, very much appreciate all the comments.

I think that was just a bit of luck as the wind picked up. It does all come at a price though, it knocked my softbox over at one point but I caught it against a wall just before my Flash smashed to pieces :p

With a subject like this - I would say it would take at least 20 sessions to get some really good shots. ;)
Let's know how you get on!

With a subject like this - I would say it would take at least 20 sessions to get some really good shots. ;)
Let's know how you get on!

(y) I think you're right.

I have some ideas for some more shots. These were very much keeping it simple head and shoulder shots so I would like to be a bit more adventurous next time.

Number 1 & 11 for me. The rest are very good but those are my faves.

Really nice set there mate and she is stunning, tell her if she ever comes down to cardiff and needs a guide around the city i'm willing :p

Hope ya get what ya want

Chris.

well i think you did extremely well! you must be chuffed, i'd be!
I hope things continue to go well with this girl, you know the whole 'oh yeah lets me meet up for a shoot, i need some new facebook pics anyways...' is just an excuse to spend time with ya! hehe.

4 & 5 leap out at me. She has fabulous eyes and natural poise. Well done!

Back