Critique The Misty Lone Tree of Rydal Waters, Lake District

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
A beautiful morning with subtle mist around and pink sky made this pastel image of the tree for me. I opted for a square crop as I thought it suited the overall feel of the image as well.

Mornings like this have a great calming effect too

Thanks for looking,

andy

15069304657_01d0907b3b_c.jpg

Really beautiful picture Andrew, very well done yet again.

I would prefer a 6x4 portrait format cropping off from the R, but thats just my view, it's great as it is too.

lovely soft tones complimented by the tree.

I like the atmosphere but I think the image is spoilt by being cut in half by the water line and having too much on the rt.hand side.

hi, thanks for the feedback so far, and littletank, noted your feedback, didnt think the waterline bothered me that much and as for the space on the right side, I had tried various cropping options and decided this one was where my eyes felt most comfortable, if I cropped more off the right, I felt there was not enough space to let the tree breathe, hence a central square crop ta though for commenting a critique!

Like it. I feel the square crop works well, but I'd ilke to see other crops.

The tree sits wonderfully in the centre, the reflecitons suit the scene and the mist adds to the mood. The subtle sunset colours also compliment the scene.

Cheers.

Very nice. Loving the layers of trees in the background and the reflection from the subject-tree,
Like it. I feel the square crop works well, but I'd ilke to see other crops.

The tree sits wonderfully in the centre, the reflecitons suit the scene and the mist adds to the mood. The subtle sunset colours also compliment the scene.

Cheers.
thats what I thought - I cant fault the image, but being so central, i think a portrait crop would suit it more - if you dont mind andrew (you have edits switched on)

15254907531_f893b4fe69_b.jpg

hi carl, yeah i had it cropped to portrait mode and for some reason I didnt like it as I feel there wasnt enough space around the tree :) but those are my eyes! cheers though

I've spent a goodly while looking at this and Carls edit. fwiw I prefer the square crop, (sorry Carl) - it gives a sense of space without losing the tree. You have managed to capture calmness with wonderful pastel tones and just enough vibrancy in the foliage. My only complaint is I didn't take this :) Wonderful.

Absolutely beautiful Andrew.
The square crop works beautifully.

Did you take it as a landscape or portrait Andy? Nicely subdued. I'm not arguing about space either side but a taller crop might work as well. One of those that could work in a variety of ways.

Hi Mark, took it both in landscape and portrait mode, and for some reason mate, i thought neither quite worked hence square crop! Cheers,

Andy

A lovely image Andrew, something to look at when stressed for sure :)

Stunning. I have to say, I like the waterline bang in the middle of the frame - because of the strong reflections, I find it works to balance the image. I do agree that losing a wedge or the right hand side helps improve the composition for me and it also shifts the tree slightly off centre... but it doesn't change the fact it's a fab image from the start.

cheers for the feedback guys, always interesting to hear contrasting views which makes this game so fascinating!

I actually like both versions of the crop, the original captures the who scene and the alternate seems to make the tree more prominent, I know that spot well and the light can be very difficult at various times of the day and especially outside the summer period so well done, your skill shines through as always, I love the misty mornings in the lakes and the opportunities the autumn offers.

Back