The new Panasonic G3 - your thoughts

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
This looks like it has everything! Small compact body, Built in EVF, Articulating swivel rear screen, New 16Mp 4/3 sensor for better ISO, feature packed menu system, Pop up flash Better AF in video mode and 25% smaller than the G2.

To me it has just about everything I could want and it looks like it's what the GF2 should have been, In fact it's just a little larger than the GF1!

There are loads of vids on YouTube and the lucky people who are able to try it seem to really like it. The more I look at it the more I want one!!

Release date is supposed to be 17th June but that may change.

Price: Body only is £549 and with 14-42mm is £629. Available in Black, Red and White.

panasonic_lumix_g3_preview-550x394.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really see the point in it but I case it's not aimed at my type of use. One of the main reasons I prefer the larger micro 4/3 bodies is because they have a proper grip which I find essential for balancing the zoom lenses. I only ever use the pancake lenses with the GF1 because even the small zoom lenses don't balance well without the grip whereas on the larger G-series bodies the handling is fine. I don't see the point in getting rid of most of the grip on the G3 as when the lens is attached the camera is no shallower with the shorter grip.

John

Looks very impressive and well priced.

If I was looking for a m4/3 type camera, this looks like exactly the one I would go for.

I don't really see the point in it but I case it's not aimed at my type of use. One of the main reasons I prefer the larger micro 4/3 bodies is because they have a proper grip which I find essential for balancing the zoom lenses. I only ever use the pancake lenses with the GF1 because even the small zoom lenses don't balance well without the grip whereas on the larger G-series bodies the handling is fine. I don't see the point in getting rid of most of the grip on the G3 as when the lens is attached the camera is no shallower with the shorter grip.

John

With respect, John, you simply will not know for sure until you hold one in your hand.

IMVHO it looks like a good camera but I'm annoyed that some reviewers are saying that the GH2 gives better image quality and to my little mind the brand new camera should be better than the one that's been out for some time and for that single reason I've mentally put a little black mark against the G3 and I doubt that I'll be able to overcome it.:(

Dropping the focus mode switch in favour of touch screen control is a negative step for me.

Anyhow, I'm still enjoying my new G2.

With respect, John, you simply will not know for sure until you hold one in your hand.

IMVHO it looks like a good camera but I'm annoyed that some reviewers are saying that the GH2 gives better image quality and to my little mind the brand new camera should be better than the one that's been out for some time and for that single reason I've mentally put a little black mark against the G3 and I doubt that I'll be able to overcome it.

I've already used cameras with similar grips so no need to handhold another one the same, if anything the grips on the current EVF micro 4/3 cameras are on the small side already so going smaller was never going to be beneficial. The picture in the opening post demonstrates how pointless it is shrinking the grip as the total depth of the camera is defined by the lens, the current grips EVF cameras didn't go past the end of the pancake lenses so they didn't actually affect the size of bag the camera would fit into.

The GH2 is Panasonic's premium camera hence it has the best sensor, best video, features etc. whereas the G3 is the entry level viewfinder model which replaces both the G2/G10 (sitting somewhere between the two equivalently) so it was expected that the GH2 would be a better camera (as well as more expensive) just as the GH1 was a superior camera to the G2/G10.

John

Last edited:
Yeah, as I said in another thread... I understand the hierarchy and I suppose we should all be used to new cameras and upgrades that don't move image quality on one jot but to introduce a new camera with lesser image quality than one that's been on sale for some time seems a particularly cynical move to me.

Maybe if they'd moved IQ on but hobbled the features to differentiate the G3 from the GH series I wouldn't feel so peeved as we've seen that from other makers and while the G3 is doubtless better than my GF1 reading initial reports leaves a bad taste for me personally and I doubt I'll get over it.

Bad show Panasonic, go to the back of the class.

Last edited:
Unless they sort out supply issues, Panasonic will once again lose out in the market. Looks like a fair improvement on the G2 though so that's good.

As it happens I've just moved back to Nikon (partly) because I couldn't get hold of a GH2, so will be selling my G2 kit and lenses.

I'm not sure if image quality has improved with the new sensor, I guess only time will tell.

Also is there any point in me getting one if I already have the 500D? Would I be better off just buying a decent lens for the 500D?

Last edited:
Initially I got very excited over the new G3 . . . Then I sat back and re thought . . . I have a D90, which I love but use very little . . . because I use my G1 almost exclusively. I went back to basics 18 months ago, sold all the 'that will be nice to own' . . . dross! The D90 is lovely to get out every so often, despite its 'quality, entry level' tag, it is a smoooooth operator.

However, lugging a DSLR about is no fun . . . having a point and shoot in the pocket is no fun either . . . I like the option of 'knob twiddling and button pushing control' . . . Enter the G1, acquired for my partner, unfortunately she is not to happy with an SLR type camera, she likes the simplicity and practicality of P&S.

The G3 seems to be aimed at this P&S market with DSLR type option . . . it seems to me to be neither one nor the other in the sense of photographic experiences. Still to big for the true convenience of the pop it in the pocket user, not enough 'control feel' for the 'enthusiast photographer' . . . appealing to novelty in pixel peeping may be . . . flit from 'flower to flower' as the mood takes them.

Back to my G1, small enough, it spends most of its time in my man bag, as I have that with me almost 24/7, its there for quick draw use. It has limitation, what camera does not? so I work within those limitation, incidentally, I feel 'my limitation' are more than my G1, so dont feel under gunned in any way.

My job allows me a few minutes, every so often, in a day when I can relax, look around . . . is there anything worth consideration of a photograph? . . . that in its self is a pleasure, take in the surrounding, watch the world go by.

The other day, I was sitting, looking, I spied this pigeon, nothing inspiring? However when I got the camera out and looked through the 200mm lens, framed, the colours and composition were so complimentary . . . the pigeon sat for a long time, gave me much pleasure in shooting the poses, playing with the settings, getting to grips with the superb manual focus of the G1.

Since then, now over a week ago, I have reflected many times, with pleasure on those few minutes, viewed this picture many times, enjoying, what is for me, simplicity and beautiful colour . . . an unexpected moment in time, captured, no fancy high MP/ISO's. Its me and nature and my pleasure . . .

950PieogenrwP1010145_edited-1.jpg

As you may have gathered, at a personal level, I like 'Walter Pigeon' and my G1.

CJS

Last edited:
I don't like how Panasonic keep forcing touchscreen down our throats. I had a play with the GF2 recently, and after about a minute of playing around with it, I realised it doesn't even have a mode dial! I'd much rather have physical buttons I can control "blind", without having to look at the screen every time I want to change a setting.

Also interested to see how performance has improved. If there's no significant improvement, then it's not even worth bothering with IMO.

I think as an entry level camera it's a cracker, but like Michael above I really would prefer some buttons and levers. I despise touchscreens.

Lets face it though, your average joe high street wouldn't care about adjusting white balance, manually focussing or even fixing the shutter speed so it'll do just fine for them.

I'll wait and see what the rumoured top spec camera for later in the year is first.

Back