The next natural step up - 600d to ????

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had a Canon 600d for sometime now and it has proved excellent. I have a selection of good quality lens I use with it and I enjoy a multitude of type of photography.

Right now the majority of my time i taken with football photos, but the camera goes on holiday and will be heading to Venice with me soon.

But, I don't know where to go with the next step up. I don't want to spend thousands, so is it a case of spend as much as you've got; or, step up the canon ladder one or two steps?

Like to 7d, but what would I actually gain, it's been around a long time, so do I pay £500 more and look at the 6d...

The choice seems unending......

If I was to change, I'd be looking at no more than £1k having just bought a a couple of pricey (in my book) lenses.

What do you feel your current camera isn't giving you?

Indeed. You haven't said what you are looking to improve on. You mention football photography. The 7d will give you more whistles and bells in the autofocus department and gives easier access to the more advanced control settings. The model is also bigger, considerably heavier and 2 years older than what you have now. You will also lose your articulated screen, something that is very useful for those awkward shots where you struggle to get to the viewfinder.

Both cameras in the level above, the 70D and 7D, will give better autofocus ability and FPS which will be beneficial shooting sports. In all honesty, the image quality will be similar to what you're used to, but in a slicker, faster package. Build quality will be better, but they'll be heavier. Some people prefer slightly bigger cameras ergonomically, especially blokes with big hands! There's a nearly new 70D on the classifieds *nudge wink* ;)

With your budget I'd be looking at a 70D or a used 6D. Are your lenses mainly EF or EF-S as that's going to be an important factor as well ?

You are right, I should have said what I feel I was lacking, so to speak.

For me it is the speed of focus & FPS. The quality of the landscapes, family stuff are more than adequate.

With regards to my lenses, I probably have a one EF-S now as others are EF & a mixture of Sigma & Tamron.

It is more likely any lenses I add will be EF. My most expensive lens is the 400mm L Series which I've no plans to change.

7D, 70D or maybe a 1D3...?

i would also say the 70d keeps the articulated screen new tec than the 7d, but would loose fps over the 7d

Thanks for your input, very much appreciated. I'll have a look around and see what is out there. Got to be honest, I haven't used the articulated screen very much at all. But I'm now just starting to play with a little bit of macro and I suspect that is where it comes into its own.

I like macro photography and I do have a canon anglefinder. However the option of an articulated screen would be very useful at times.

Back