The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Hi Houston1863/stevebuk,

Thanks for the kind words :)

The area of Wales I visited is called Pembrokeshire. It’s by far my personal favourite area of Wales, ironically, exactly because it is just like the rugged beauty of Cornwall. Pembrokeshire is my second favourite area in the UK (Cornwall holds the number one spot).

PS Houston – any gems to share from your investigating? We lost our X10 virginity within days of each other ;-)

Last edited:
Hehe - hope I haven’t started something here r.e. Wales oops!

Thanks StuartH – sure is a fast learning curve! Any constructive criticism to help e.g. vignette to much or colour still to vibrant etc?

Anyone recommend a good resource that explains how best to PP an image?

Hehe - hope I haven’t started something here r.e. Wales oops!

I wouldn't worry about that... I'm not even Welsh but I wouldn't live anywhere else! ;)

Thanks StuartH – sure is a fast learning curve! Any constructive criticism to help e.g. vignette to much or colour still to vibrant etc?

Anyone recommend a good resource that explains how best to PP an image?

I wouldn't worry too much about other opinions... At the end of the day, if you're happy with your pictures, that's what counts! :) From what I've seen though, your second set has improved no end over your original one.

I would suggest using the critique sections on here and the internet in general to gauge what would be considered to be 'acceptable' processing although it's very much a subjective thing... What one person likes, another possibly won't.

Si

Hi Si,

Firstly thanks for the kind words of encouragement. After seeing your photos I hold your opinion in high regard. I think the new set evidences I listened to Duncan's critique and have come back stronger. The more feedback the better I'll become.

You are right of course, photography is art and one person’s love is the next persons hate. I'm trying to develop a style to my images that will make them unique but that’s not an easy task :-D

I've seen some lovely images on this thread, and you personally have shared some real crackers. I've not seen any critique feedback on your PP but feedback on my images has pointed out PP issues from a few members. This makes me think I still have some refining to do :)

I'll take your advice on the critique posting thread.

Thanks again - I'm really glad to have come across the talkphotography community that I have found to be a real friendly and talented bunch. I look forward from learning from you all and hopefully at some stage being at a point that I can give back and contribute in a useful way.

...thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

You're very welcome. You took some really nice pictures in Pembrokeshire! :)

Surely thats partly why we post on a forum dedicated to photography no?

Hi Stuart,

You're right, that is partly why we post on here! ;)

My point was that it doesn't necessarily matter what we think as long as the person who created the image is happy with it. I would strongly support any opinion that encourages growth or a different perspective but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

If a person prefers an image to be heavily saturated or colour popped (or whatever), then there's nothing to say that it's wrong or even 'too heavily Photoshopped'. As the viewer, we might not like an image but the person who created it probably does! ;)

Cheers,
Si

I see what you are saying but thats what makes a forum.If everyone agrreed there would be no discussion.Souldeep has also previously said he is new to pp and lightroom and admitted to getting carried away with the sliders..:D
If I posted an image that was drastically underexposed and someone mentioned it I would not be offended in the slightest.I welcome any critique good or bad as after all thats the only way we progress.Much rather someone pointed things out to me than blew smoke up my behind. It will always be tricky though on a forum such as this when commenting because as you say photography is a very individual thing.(y)

bring back arkady
the king of critique

It could also be differences between monitors (maybe monitor is set very low on colours?) They also look too strongly processed for me but then I tend to leave my photos pretty much as they are from camera apart from a bit of cropping and recovery from highlights/shadows if required.
But agree, there is no right or wrong and if that is what somebody likes then good.

Owning my X10 has put the enjoyment back into photography for me. Given I shoot for a living, the last thing I feel inclined to do is haul my heavy pro kit around when I'm not on duty. But now that I have the X 10, I have a good quality small camera which I can take everywhere, not a luxury I've enjoyed in the past. I now want to take pictures all of the time, and more to the point I don't get tired while I'm doing it. I've put quite a few personal X 10 outings on my blog recently but here are a couple:

Amberley Museum: http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/?p=5602
(if you scroll down the shots you will see that I returned the next day and shot some similar frames with my 5D Mk II}

Street scenes in Brighton: http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/?p=4898

Without a doubt this little camera is making photography fun again.

...Without a doubt this little camera is making photography fun again.

You have some beautiful work on your website Lindsay! Very impressive. :)

I've used the X10 on a couple of portrait shoots now with more than satisfactory results. The size is a godsend because it's easy to swing about in a confined space and clients don't find it intimidating when I point it at them. ;)

How would people who have possibly used both compare this to the likes of an EPL2 or GF2?. I've been looking for a small, portable camera for everyday use and am torn between 4/3 and the likes of the X10.

Some of the work shown here is very impressive indeed :)

Thanks Si. Since getting the X10 I've tried street photography, something I'd never do with a DSLR, I'd feel far too conspicuous - but with a tiny camera I can blend in with the rest of the tourists, it's a great feeling.

I have a problem doing street photography regardless of what camera I'm using... Being 6'2 and 17 stone means I don't exactly blend in! The X10 certainly helps but I could do with being a lot less conspicuous somehow! ;)

How would people who have possibly used both compare this to the likes of an EPL2 or GF2?. I've been looking for a small, portable camera for everyday use and am torn between 4/3 and the likes of the X10.

Some of the work shown here is very impressive indeed :)

Hi Dod,

I've used the GF1 quite a bit and the image quality from that was very good... I've not used the two side-by-side so I can't make a direct comparison though. As with all things like this, it would be worth trying a couple together to get an idea. :)

I think it's a brilliant little camera (obviously). It's not without its faults or quirks but there isn't a camera out there that's perfect. ;)

I've used a GF1 and found highlight clipping to be a problem and the images lacked the 'smoothness' of the X10. I've also found the X10 to be better in low light. Overall I found the X10 IQ to be better in all departments - of course there will always be an element of personal preference in such comparisons, such as my own liking for Fuji colours and the analogue look of the files.

Only thing missing for me is the lack of a histogram, blinkies etc, on immediate image review. It can be seen on playback only. Not an issue if you use the screen when composing as you can see a live histogram but I don't!

Hi Ernesto - Good news is you can switch it on during shooting mode (y) Go to the Shooting mode menu and select Disp. Custom Setting. Under that option you can select Histogram.

It could also be differences between monitors (maybe monitor is set very low on colours?) They also look too strongly processed for me but then I tend to leave my photos pretty much as they are from camera apart from a bit of cropping and recovery from highlights/shadows if required.
But agree, there is no right or wrong and if that is what somebody likes then good.

I'm using a Laptop screen and think that has a part to play in my PP issues. Looks like I'll purchase a Dell U2410 but not going to rush as it cost £££.

Hi Ernesto - Good news is you can switch it on during shooting mode (y) Go to the Shooting mode menu and select Disp. Custom Setting. Under that option you can select Histogram.

Yes, it is also available in shooting mode in one of the standard displays, but I don't have the display turned on. I like to see the histogram and blinkies as soon as I have taken the shot, make any quick adjustments and take another shot if required. I don't want to go to playback mode to see this.
I use the viewfinder for 100% of my shots so don't have the screen on and don't want to hold camera as arms length and check a histogram before the shot.

Realise this may be specific to me but other cameras tend to offer detailed info in the instant image review stage as well as playback so maybe required by others too?

Hi Houston1863/stevebuk,

Thanks for the kind words :)

The area of Wales I visited is called Pembrokeshire. It’s by far my personal favourite area of Wales, ironically, exactly because it is just like the rugged beauty of Cornwall. Pembrokeshire is my second favourite area in the UK (Cornwall holds the number one spot).

PS Houston – any gems to share from your investigating? We lost our X10 virginity within days of each other ;-)

Pembrokeshire and Cornwall are two of my favourite places in these isles too Souldeep.

I haven't been out much and certainly not like you friend and like Chris ( ernesto ) have the added issue of not being able to open my RAW files since the X10 is not ( thus far ) supported by Apple. However I will make an attempt to shoot more over the weekend and download hopefully a worthy shot or two.

Keep enjoying (y)

On the weekend I had a number of strange experiences with the X10. One major one was related to when I pushed the shutter halfway down to set focus. The image would shift to the right/up/down/left of where I was actually trying to focus. I'm not actually sure how the camera does that as I was holding the camera still. Do you know why the camera does this? No explanation of this in the manual.

the added issue of not being able to open my RAW files since the X10 is not ( thus far ) supported by Apple.

Assuming you have used the SilkyPix software provided with camera as you can open the RAW files with that?
However it is the slowest software I have come across (so slow that I am not using RAW - literally takes over 10 seconds to apply any change)

Lucky the JPEGs are so good...

Assuming you have used the SilkyPix software provided with camera as you can open the RAW files with that?
However it is the slowest software I have come across (so slow that I am not using RAW - literally takes over 10 seconds to apply any change)

Lucky the JPEGs are so good...

The JPEGs are exceptional, with a lot of latitude for processing too. I'm a RAW shooter in my job, but it's JPEG all the way with the X10 - simply because I find the X10 RAW files to be difficult to process and very noisy. No matter what I've tried I haven't been able to get as good a result as the OOC JPEGs.

Just had the hood/adapter delivered from Amazon/China and as I feared 60AW bag will not take camera with adapter fitted.

Can anyone recommend a small bag to take the camera with adapter fitted, don`t like the idea of taking the adapter off all the time.
Thanks

Back