The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

is £205 a good price ?

Am really torn. The rx100 is technically much better - it's smaller, bigger sensor, better in low light etc but I have no urge to pick it up so it sits in a draw...

I used to bung the xf1 in the car and it went everywhere..

If you liked the XF1 why not go for an XQ2? Plenty of refurbs available at the moment.

Very kind, thanks.

I have a "need" for an articulated screen nowadays because I have issues with my knees, meaning that if I crouch down I can't get back up. Not ideal at 44

Am trying to find examples of the x30 useage - doesn't seem to have been very popular ? Is that due to the sensor size compared to that that the competition offered ?

Very kind, thanks.

I have a "need" for an articulated screen nowadays because I have issues with my knees, meaning that if I crouch down I can't get back up. Not ideal at 44

Am trying to find examples of the x30 useage - doesn't seem to have been very popular ? Is that due to the sensor size compared to that that the competition offered ?

It was damned by feint praise... those who use it love it. It is my first choice camera these days.
if your priority is pixel peeping and never use conventional controls, then perhaps other cameras might suit you better. Now the price is so low I was considering buying a second as back up.

Very kind, thanks.

I have a similar problem, dodgy knees run in my family so yeah, articulated screen was a must for me too.

I'm not so sure why the x30 didnt do better. It's in a funny place between a point and shoot for the lay person, and "better" dslr/csc's. It seems the only people to look at it are enthusiasts like ourselves, looking for a "take everywhere" body.

The rx100 was the main competition, with a larger sensor and much smaller body I guess most people swung that way. The x30 was just a little bit too chunky to throw in a pocket...

I chose the x30 for the fuji colours/tones, the flippy screen, but most importantly the evf, which the rx100 lacked. Having tried the rx100 before getting the fuji, I didnt regret a thing. I LOVED my x30, it's a shame I sold it to fund my x-t10.
If the x30 had an apsc sensor, i'd probably never have bought another camera in my lifetime, I liked it that much.

I have an em1 with the 12-40 pro, sigma 30mm f1.4 and 40-150 pro for pixel peeping. But I do travel a lot and like to have a camera with me. I loved the feel of the Fuji images and as detailed as the rx100 are, I think they're a little clinical and cold if that makes sense ?

Up and out bright and early with the X10, got some nice photos and video. Noticed that the screen has a slight wobble, when composing. Does this in both video and photo mode. Must say, I have never noticed this before.
You are probably noticing the IS doing its work.
Just viewed a video, after the wobble in the LCD screen. The finished video also wobbles, a bit like a jelly. :(

Haha - I did the same. Had some wine then thought " oh, I'll buy one " and they had all sold. Will try to use the rx100 a little more..

Off out and about into the City Centre, with the Fuji X10. Lets see if I can capture anything interesting :).

Just viewed a video, after the wobble in the LCD screen. The finished video also wobbles, a bit like a jelly. :(
I would try it again to check .
if it still does it, it may be a problem with the IS

I would try it again to check .
if it still does it, it may be a problem with the IS
Been out with it today, doing both photos and video. Had the odd wobble now and again, maybe the Image stabilisation has gone. No point getting such an old, and inexpensive camera looked at :).

Never seen the appeal of the x100's myself.. What am I missing? To me they just seem like an x-txx series body with a lens glued to them, for a lot more money...

As someone who owned a Konica Hexar, I can see the appeal. But, like the Hexar, I know I won't use a camera with just a 35mm lens so I won't buy one.

Hi all,

My daughters XF1 has developed the sticky aperture blades problem, luckily towards the end of her time in Peru.

Is there anything DIY that can be done? I'm not sure it's worth getting it professionally repaired.

Hi all,

My daughters XF1 has developed the sticky aperture blades problem, luckily towards the end of her time in Peru.

Is there anything DIY that can be done? I'm not sure it's worth getting it professionally repaired.

Have Fuji refused to fix it? They were good about repairing mine (and so they should - the number of failed units indicates a faulty component/design flaw).

Hi all,

Certainly not worth paying money out for a fix. Not sure if there are any DIY fixes, that can be done.

Have Fuji refused to fix it? They were good about repairing mine (and so they should - the number of failed units indicates a faulty component/design flaw).

I haven't asked them yet. Maybe I should. I assumed as it was out if warranty that it would be my responsibility.

Thanks for the replies folks.

It might be out of standard warranty but there's a good argument under SOGA that it was defective when bought.
No harm in asking them.

I have considered a lump hammer but that might just be my frustration!
Been there myself, only remnants I have left of my XF1, are the battery , charger , strap, oh and the lovely photos it took.

At the very least, have a go yourself and document your efforts. If you succeed, post a guide. If fuji wont do it you have nothing to lose. :)

At the very least, have a go yourself and document your efforts. If you succeed, post a guide. If fuji wont do it you have nothing to lose. :)
I did the same, I recorded myself taking apart my failed XF1. Could not use the video content, too much foul language.

A few of the Saddleworth army day including a stitched pan.... all on X30.

Far from ideal for shooting aircraft.

Quick question for X30 users - I currently use an X10 for my studio work, but have to enable the external flash menu option, I have this preselected in one of the 'custom' options on the 'mode' dial but this doesn't seem to exist in the X30 (recently looked through the manual online) that is to say both custom modes or the ability to use external flash units, I use a remote trigger in the hot shoe. Anyone know if this can still be done with the X30?

I just plug my Nissin i40 into the hot-shoe and it works. Presumably this is one of the improvements over the X10.

Can those knowledgeable on this thread help, please... my sister wants me to video her getting some training on her horse in an indoor school. She'll be riding round the edges of the school in a rather large oval (I guess) and the instructor will be in the middle. So she'll sometimes be quite near and sometimes far away. Quality does not have to fantastic, just enough so she can view her lessons later and see what she and the horse are doing. Options are the X20 with its zoom or the iPad for simplicity (she uses a Mac) but no zoom.

The X20 manual doesn't seem to say much (AFAICS) about video, eg how long a video can be made, what formats (and limitations thereof for viewing on a Mac, iPad or TV), etc. Is there any advice you can give me? I'm favouring the X20 on a monopod at the moment, assuming I can get her and horse better in frame by zooming in when she's far away and in when near, and swivelling as she passes by. But any hints welcome... Thanks

Can those knowledgeable on this thread help, please... my sister wants me to video her getting some training on her horse in an indoor school. She'll be riding round the edges of the school in a rather large oval (I guess) and the instructor will be in the middle. So she'll sometimes be quite near and sometimes far away. Quality does not have to fantastic, just enough so she can view her lessons later and see what she and the horse are doing. Options are the X20 with its zoom or the iPad for simplicity (she uses a Mac) but no zoom.

The X20 manual doesn't seem to say much (AFAICS) about video, eg how long a video can be made, what formats (and limitations thereof for viewing on a Mac, iPad or TV), etc. Is there any advice you can give me? I'm favouring the X20 on a monopod at the moment, assuming I can get her and horse better in frame by zooming in when she's far away and in when near, and swivelling as she passes by. But any hints welcome... Thanks
For video I would go with the X20. I have the X10 and it produces pretty good video, I am assuming the X20 is similar. I tend to pick my focal length and stay there, as too much zooming in and out makes it hunt for focusing. I keep mine on center focus, rather than continuous. Video recording time is 29 minutes, and it is in the H.264, MOV format.

You can also choose a film simulation, and use exposure comp, while in video mode.

For video I would go with the X20. I have the X10 and it produces pretty good video, I am assuming the X20 is similar. I tend to pick my focal length and stay there, as too much zooming in and out makes it hunt for focusing. I keep mine on center focus, rather than continuous. Video recording time is 29 minutes, and it is in the H.264, MOV format.

You can also choose a film simulation, and use exposure comp, while in video mode.
Thanks John, we'll experiment with this. We've got until Thursday to get it sorted.

Back