The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

If you do get any orbs and they bother you, you should look at the sensor upgrade.
1.03 ( to me) didnt really do anything to fix the orb problem, they were still there, not that I saw many to be honest. 1.03 and the new sensor on mine shows a little noise at iso 100, but then, the orbs are gone and images still look great.
If orbs are not an issue, you could stick to 1.02 till you eventually get the sensor change. They will probably do the software update at the same time so you should get a much better camera back.

Allan

My wife called Fuji at noon and waited for 30 minutes to get through to chase return of my X10. Came off the phone at 12.30 after they told her it should be back today. At 12.35 it arrived - talk about timing. The chap on the phone didn't seem to know the detail about what had been done but the job sheet said CMOS sensor replaced, focal scale adjustment and fully tested.

So I was was downhearted as I had (very nicely) asked them to look at my tatty LCD screen about which I have mentioned before on this thread BUT when I took the camera out of the box it looked like the whole LCD screen has been replaced. So it now doesn't look like a marked badly fitted protector which it had before.

The camera is the same as I had sent - well the same serial number. It is immaculately clean, the on/off and zoom ring works more smoothly and all in all looks like brand spanking new.

So onwards and upwards if I can get some shots soon (y)

Found this one taken before my camera was sent off. Straight out of the camera but was on scene flower mode. Very colourful.

TPX10thread.jpg

Well after debating about getting the Sony NEX-7, to upgrade from a NEX-5, I came across this thread at the weekend, and having got through about a 1/4 of it, I ordered one yesterday and here it is sat on the table, saying " Take me out and see what I can do!" Thanks to Duncan for starting this and for all the fantastic shots people posted, that helped me decide. Am looking forward to playing with this.

the shelter, third from last, has a lovely quality about it.

Now I have mine back I have forgotten all the stuff I read on how best to use it. Well it has been three weeks and three days since I last touched it :bonk:

If you do get any orbs and they bother you, you should look at the sensor upgrade.
1.03 ( to me) didnt really do anything to fix the orb problem, they were still there, not that I saw many to be honest. 1.03 and the new sensor on mine shows a little noise at iso 100, but then, the orbs are gone and images still look great.
If orbs are not an issue, you could stick to 1.02 till you eventually get the sensor change. They will probably do the software update at the same time so you should get a much better camera back.

Allan

Thanks. I think I'll just keep as it is until something bothers me. :shrug:

I went through my images from vacation looking for orbs and this is the only thing I could find close. Is this an orb? It seems to have some starburst affect to it. You tell me...

7587312028_36c6e4f6ab_c.jpg

Well my Fuji X10 is just about to go back Fuji again. :/

This time round for what i think is a problem with the aperture blades, what I've noticed is when using video mode the other day & the aperture blades change automatically under different lighting conditions, there is a noticeable black flicker in the video as it changes, I've also noticed since getting the sensor changed the chatter from the blades is alot louder than it use to be.

Couple of other problems I've also noticed is the distant scale isn't very accurate on mine either, plus i noticed 2 tiny scratches on the screen that was not there before sending the X10 in I always stick a screen protector on mine, but was silly enough to remove it before sending the camera off the first time.

I've emailed Fuji and they sending me out a box, I love this camera but the problems it has is beginning to wear thin on me.

I went through my images from vacation looking for orbs and this is the only thing I could find close. Is this an orb? It seems to have some starburst affect to it. You tell me...

It doesn't look like a 'real' orb to me but I sure is not a pixel peeping expert :nuts:

Well my Fuji X10 is just about to go back Fuji again. :/

This time round for what i think is a problem with the aperture blades, what I've noticed is when using video mode the other day & the aperture blades change automatically under different lighting conditions, there is a noticeable black flicker in the video as it changes, I've also noticed since getting the sensor changed the chatter from the blades is alot louder than it use to be.

Couple of other problems I've also noticed is the distant scale isn't very accurate on mine either, plus i noticed 2 tiny scratches on the screen that was not there before sending the X10 in I always stick a screen protector on mine, but was silly enough to remove it before sending the camera off the first time.

I've emailed Fuji and they sending me out a box, I love this camera but the problems it has is beginning to wear thin on me.

I think the trouble is now feeling very nervous about every little noise combined with a much closer inspection of the images from the camera. All in all it could spoil the enjoyment of ownership. I've never bought a previous camera with such feelings - Being serious.

Fuji should offer counseling - Joking.

Expecting delivery today of Mrs Yellowbelly's new X10. Hope it comes soon so I can check it is Ok and have a play, er .. I mean set it up for her:D

You cant tell at that size, for certain, need a pixel peepers 100% to know for sure.

I have made my self a new strap fixing. that is quickly removable and much more comfortable for holding the camera.
Two loops of 2mm braided nylon cord (could hold my weight) sewn, bound and finished with a bead of araldite resin.
Two stainless steel Clever clips from true utility (£1.50 each)
http://www.trueutility.com/pocket-tools-store/Key-Ring_Accessories.html

These clips are exceptionally strong ( much more than the usual moulded zinc alloy)
They would hold any camera with ease.

copb-cord-web.jpg

Hello, just wanted to say "hi" and to enter myself into your community. I too own a x10 for about 2 weeks now and i am learning its features. Not so happy with such a low usable iso, but i knew that a small sensor will not be as good in low light as my dslr. I read all 91 pages of this thread and it was a pleasure to learn so much from your experiences. And without the bashing and endless arguments you see on other forums...
Well, guess i'll be posting some pics anytime soon then :).

Another first time poster here. I bought my X10 largely on the strength of the review here, and I haven't been disappointed.

Welcome to Bogdan and Mark (y)

Yes very friendly bunch on here so get your photos uploaded and fire away if you want help. I am sure you will get the answer/s. Not many from me as I still have L plates on my X10 :nuts:

I have made my self a new strap fixing. that is quickly removable and much more comfortable for holding the camera.
Two loops of 2mm braided nylon cord (could hold my weight) sewn, bound and finished with a bead of araldite resin.
Two stainless steel Clever clips from true utility (£1.50 each)
http://www.trueutility.com/pocket-tools-store/Key-Ring_Accessories.html

These clips are exceptionally strong ( much more than the usual moulded zinc alloy)
They would hold any camera with ease.

copb-cord-web.jpg

Nice but my concern with that is that the metal hooks on string like that could easily hit the lens/screen... Only if you're not careful of course! :)

Nice but my concern with that is that the metal hooks on string like that could easily hit the lens/screen... Only if you're not careful of course! :)

Before I read this forum I never even thought about (always) taking care NOT to scratch or mark any of my cameras. Now I am paranoid. Not sure why but it may be because of thinking one day I may want to sell and try another camera?

But Terry you sure are inventive (y)

Before I read this forum I never even thought about (always) taking care NOT to scratch or mark any of my cameras. Now I am paranoid. Not sure why but it may be because of thinking one day I may want to sell and try another camera?

But Terry you sure are inventive (y)

If that is a worry it would be very easy to make the cords a little shorter, then the clp can not reach the lens, even when the lens cap is off and lens retracted. However in pracice. I have a screen protector, and the clips can not reach the lens when the camera is on.

The camera is more comfortable with them at this length.

Just a quick update re my X10 sensor repair. Been off for a few weeks now so I gave them a a call. Apparently the sensor replacement has been done, but they are holding it back as a new software update is coming out due to the sensor so they are installing that next week and will have it sent out.

Anyone else aware of these software update?!?!? I miss my X10 :(

I get too muddled up to remember - to be able to fill you in.

In the old SLR days I can't recall any of this stuff going on :nuts:

Just a quick update re my X10 sensor repair. Been off for a few weeks now so I gave them a a call. Apparently the sensor replacement has been done, but they are holding it back as a new software update is coming out due to the sensor so they are installing that next week and will have it sent out.

They did a software update when they sent mine back last week... I have no Idea if they mean yet another one.???
I know they have recalled a lot of cameras that have had their sensor replaced for this software update. I suspect your camera is in that queue.

Finally pressed the button on one of these.
Fuji refurb at £274.98 using discount code P10FEB15

Can't wait, gonna have to re-read the thread for the best tips.:)

Welcome to the elite club :clap:

I starting reading this thread in the very early days but I am a great believer in reading the user manual - no matter how threadbare. I tend to take screen shots, of what is important to me, then crop and put into a word doc.

Im still waiting for my camera to return from Fuji.

I'm now starting to worry about the repair causing more problems down the line :(

Im still waiting for my camera to return from Fuji.

I'm now starting to worry about the repair causing more problems down the line :(

Don't worry... mine will be starting it's third trip to them on Friday.
They will sort it eventually.....and I think I probably hold the record....:cool:

A vast majority are sorted in a single trip....

Hi

Newbie here! It was this thread, and the imminent arrival of my (2nd hand) X10 that prompted me to join. Has anyone bought the book by Alexander S White - The Photographers guide to the X10? Is it worth it, or are there any others that you could recommend?

Thanks in advance

Jason

Hi

Newbie here! It was this thread, and the imminent arrival of my (2nd hand) X10 that prompted me to join. Has anyone bought the book by Alexander S White - The Photographers guide to the X10? Is it worth it, or are there any others that you could recommend?

Thanks in advance

Jason

Welcome, Jason! Great camera and an inspiring thread; so many wonderful images and so much good advice, too.

I bought the Alex White book. I'm reasonably pleased that I did; the manual is not too bad but in many ways is just obscure. I've found the White book a good read; my intention was (is) to read it twice, but I've got distracted, partly by work stuff, partly by the blighters on the Film and Conventional forum, who have led me astray!

I should say that on a couple of detailed points this thread has suggested that White is wrong. Nevertheless I'm pleased I bought it. I got the print book after buying the PDF ebook, on a deal where he refunded the ebook price once the print book came available. I suspect that deal isn't available now that the book is listed in the UK. It did take a few weeks to come, suprising for a print-on-demand title.

Can't blame you at that price. Mine arrived from the same place a couple of days ago and it is absolutely pristine. I'm currently enjoying playing with it and annoying Mrs Y by snapping her at every opportunity. (I've never grown up and I am determined never to do so ;))

Back