The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Received my red XF1 (£129.99) and red case (£31.99) from Amazon yesterday. Beautiful looking camera but it came with a flat battery and an Italian battery charger. The instructions were Italian which doesn't matter too much as the manual can be easily downloaded but I couldn't power it up. So it is on its way back to Amazon as it would appear that all the Amazon ones are EC sourced and you take pot luck on which country it comes from. As the battery charger has an integral plug, it cannot be used with a mains lead from the box of a thousand battery chargers!

The case looks beautiful and is very well made but it is not leather. It is plastic, albeit very high quality plastic and it clearly states on the box that it is " Material: Polyurethane".

I would recommend purchasing from Currys if they have any stock left as you can examine your purchase without all the faff of sending it back and, unless you don't mind paying over the odds for a lovely, but plastic case, look at a much cheaper alternative.

Anyone with an xf1 noticed light leak on the LCD.

The first I ordered was pretty significant and the second I have just inboxed has some top right too.

Seems a few have mentioned it online. It won't effect photos, it may just be me being too nit picky!

I haven't used mine yet so haven't noticed anything. Lol. Will keep an eye out.

Was hoping to get out and about today but as always, it's chucking it down! :(

Landwomble, I had looked at them previously, they look like a nice addition, especially at that price! Just wondered if anyone had one and could comment on it? The stupidly expensive ones further down look great but 50quid is nearly half the price of the camera!!!

Mine both came with charged batteries, UK chargers and English manuals.

Not had any problem re light leaks on either.

Never liked (n)ever ready cases so the slip out one suits me far better but that's obviously a matter of personal taste. Looks like the extra bulk (I know it's not huge but the extra the case mounting tripod screw adds) might stop it slipping into a shirt pocket. Significantly cheaper than a genuine one.

Someone I've mentioned the Currys deal to had a look online and they don't have many left.

Mine was charged and all english from currys. Box was open though and no seal present.

My box had no seal nor any evidence of there having been one so I'm not sure if there was supposed to be one. The plastic bag the camera comes in had a seal though.

Had to go to the dentist today:eek: Bad news for the toothy-peg that's been giving me gyp over Christmas but weather was nice and tried out the auto bracketing on the XF. Noticed there's a film speed bracketing mode as well. Anyone ever tried that?
Here's a couple that I ran through Photomatrix. Both shots are -1,0,+1

Rugby School... didn't use the de-ghoster properly so there's some movement in the twigs!
Do you mean the Multi Expo in Adv mode, 2 shots ? where is the film speed bracketing ? < found it, did not think it had brk, that's good will give it a try

H

Last edited:
My box had no seal nor any evidence of there having been one so I'm not sure if there was supposed to be one. The plastic bag the camera comes in had a seal though.
The box itself was not sealed but everything else inside had a seal on it

My battery was flat, first couple of charges it went flat again fairly quick, seams to be ok now

H

Mine was sealed from Currys, came with a charger with snap on UK and US plugs. First use the battery died really quickly but after a couple of cycles it's spot on and lasts a decent amount of time!

Suprising there are so many differences within the boxes. My 3 pin charger bit slides in and had no euro bit. (Technical term...)

Battery was charged last night then removed from the charger and replaced and charged again. Will comment on battery life once I've had a go.

Do you mean the Multi Expo in Adv mode, 2 shots ? where is the film speed bracketing ?

H

Hel,
the auto bracketing modes are in the menu...........
Menu - No3 - Continuous - Scroll down and you've got....
AE Bracket
Iso bracket
Dynamic range bracket
and Film Simulation bracket.

I've only used the AE bracketing so far.

Suprising there are so many differences within the boxes. My 3 pin charger bit slides in and had no euro bit. (Technical term...)

Battery was charged last night then removed from the charger and replaced and charged again. Will comment on battery life once I've had a go.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, if battery life's the same as the X10.
Luckily (or should that be , astutely ) Fuji has used the NP50 battery for years so I've got spare batteries for my F200EXR, daughter's F80EXR and the X10.:)

Hel,
the auto bracketing modes are in the menu...........
Menu - No3 - Continuous - Scroll down and you've got....
AE Bracket
Iso bracket
Dynamic range bracket
and Film Simulation bracket.

I've only used the AE bracketing so far.
Yeah got it now but thanks

H

Luckily (or should that be , astutely ) Fuji has used the NP50 battery for years so I've got spare batteries for my F200EXR, daughter's F80EXR and the X10.:)

The battery life in the XF is rather less than the X-10 - unless you keep the review screen turned on on your X-10! When I bought my X-10 second hand, it came with a few spare batteries which now live in a SanDisk neoprene pouch alongside a couple of empty cards. Since LiIon batteries suffer less from any memory effects, I tend to charge them when I get home (if I remember) and rarely need to swap them during a day. I also tend to use small capacity cards (my baby printer doesn't like SDHC) and very rarely fill one before the contents get dumped onto a computer.

I wasn't over the moon with the battery life on my X20. Bought another battery. Main issue seems to be when using the flash.

Overall, it's a a cracking camera.

Cheers.

Ok, so... first use of the XF-1 and i'm relatively happy. A definate change to my 'old' Sony a37! I shot in JPEG and didn't do any RAW files so can't compare, but they're 'OK' at the basic settings with regards to colours, sharpness etc. I guess i need to fine tune it a little. I'm used to processing RAW files so it was a little different. It was the first shot for my ETC project i'm doing so wanted something out of the rain. The lighting was poor and my general newbie-ness to photography and the camera didn't help. :eek:

Here is the shot i came up with:

Original
by David Raynham, on Flickr

And here is the photo after my interpretation of 'The Joiner Effect'

The Joiner Effect

Can't wait to use it again!! :)

Ok, so... first use of the XF-1 and i'm relatively happy. A definate change to my 'old' Sony a37! I shot in JPEG and didn't do any RAW files so can't compare, but they're 'OK' at the basic settings with regards to colours, sharpness etc. I guess i need to fine tune it a little. I'm used to processing RAW files so it was a little different. It was the first shot for my ETC project i'm doing so wanted something out of the rain. The lighting was poor and my general newbie-ness to photography and the camera didn't help. :eek:

Here is the shot i came up with:

Original

And here is the photo after my interpretation of 'The Joiner Effect'

The Joiner Effect by David Raynham, on Flickr

Can't wait to use it again!! :)
That looks good to me, As I've noticed with mine there is some noise/ artifacts when you up the size in the dark areas

I'm not convinced I could get many keepers for prints but early days yet

H

I'm not into prints, but I know what you mean. I need to have a play with the settings and see if I can perfect it a little more. I was wondering if a small camera like this could keep me happy without a dslr but I doubt it will be too long before I jump back into the dslr pit... :eek:

I've just picled up an XF1 as a repalcement for the familys broken P&S. I wanted something with more creative control but still fits in a pocket. it is larger than the old Panny but so far I'm impressed especially the negligible delay. I don't think the user interface is that intuative but no doubt I will get use to it. camera cost £129 in sale and picked up a matching case. easy sell to the wife as she had already fallen for the retro looking cameras especailly the Fuji models ;-)

Bit of sharpen but mainly what you're seeing is clarity whacked up high. Sky is a bit overdone with the blue which appeared when I dropped a grad ND filter in LR on it. Fairly quick and dirty edit...!

Picked up mine today. First impressions:

- It looks really nice
- Lens switching thing is really not much hassle at all (hopefully it won't get worn out)
- Image quality seems very good for a compact - night shots at f1.8/ISO 800 without flash are pretty damn impressive
- Build quality is reasonable but not amazing. I'm happy for £130 but I wouldn't have been if I'd paid anywhere near the original price. It doesn't feel anything like as 'premium' as my brother's LX7 IMO (though he paid at least double what I paid for the XF1)
- As mentioned the case isn't leather (despite being described as such by Currys) and I would agree it's a bit overpriced. Quite like the leather strap though and I needed a case so I'm not too unhappy.
Overall I'm pleased but haven't put it through it's paces yet.

Purchase one today, the image quality is good, but i am having a slight problem with the build quality. Has anyone had a problem with the battery door? The one I have seems to lock in position OK, but if you touch the door it appear to come away from one of the locking lugs, leaving it slightly loose and proud.

Yep, take it back, mines flush and doesn't move at all. Infact I like the locking mechanism. Better than just a click.

I haven't found any issues with build quality up to yet... wouldn't want to drop it though!

Looking forward to just taking it out with me and getting a few snaps of the dogs and family.

Look forward to seeing them David, still undecided on whether to get one or not :thinking:

Hi Andrew. I decided to get one so I can carry on my projects having sold my DSLR. At £130 I'm sure I could easily make my money back on eBay as they're still advertised at full price on there. Some even at £285 which is ridiculous. I probably won't ever sell it tbh as it's a great camera that can come everywhere with me and offers full manual settings should I ever need them (I usually shoot aperture priority) and is capable of half decent shots.

Alas, today, it's raining again so it looks like another day of inside stuff for the projects.

Needed a shot for my 52 project so thought why not see what it can do...

All shots were grab shots and i'm a bit miffed the LINEAR train track shot wasn't a little better composed as i'm not quite in the middle... bugger. I also didn't get chance to see if i could have exposed better for the sunrise as it is very blown. What would be the best settings on the xf-1 for this type of shot?

So, here are three from this morning with it. All hand held whilst trying to control two dogs. :rolleyes:

Linear

Linear

stary eyed suprise

Had the chance to play with my x20 pano mode this morning. Little bit of tweaking in Lightroom. Pretty happy with image quality but the horizon is a bit bumpy but thats obviously down to me. What I done was changed the the direction of the pano so it was effectively a portrait pano then flipped the camera on it's side and shot it landscape (for a higher resolution image) would also work the other way round for a portrait pano :)

X20 Cob
by the milster, on Flickr

Had the chance to play with my x20 pano mode this morning. Little bit of tweaking in Lightroom. Pretty happy with image quality but the horizon is a bit bumpy but thats obviously down to me. What I done was changed the the direction of the pano so it was effectively a portrait pano then flipped the camera on it's side and shot it landscape (for a higher resolution image) would also work the other way round for a portrait pano :)

X20 Cob
by the milster, on Flickr
I just had a quick try at that and it looks to work well, more height and looks (on led) to be better stitching

H

Back