The other side of Vegas

Name
David Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Well the computer problems finally seem to be over so I thought I'd pop these up from my search for last weeks 52. There has been a lot in the local media about the homeless 'problem' and the mayor has been trying to move them out of the city completely in quite controversial methods. I went down to the homeless corridor, which is only 10 minutes walk from the top of Vegas strip. I spent around 30min or more chatting to these guys. The elder of the 2 was very eloquent and had a Masters in English Literature. It was quite a humbling experience to hear about their fight for survival and the manner they are treated by the local authorities. What was even more worrying was that there were a large amount of people that were dressed in nice clothes and had nice tents and camping equipment. Apparently all part of the growing number of people who have been forced out of their homes due to the current economic crisis with no option but to pitch a tent on the pavement at night and job hunt during the day.

Thanks!

the funny thing is #5 is my favorite being into running trainers always draw my eye :)

The trainers were screaming at me to be shot! I really wanted to do a lens change and get some dramatic wide angle shots with the shoes in the foreground but there was no way I was getting the bag open to change lenses with some of the characters that were in the area! All I was thinking was, you can tell a lot about a man from his shoes...

Fantastic images and a printable story to boot, ever thought about aproaching a paper with it?

Mind if I ask, how did you go about aproaching them before snapping away?

Fantastic images and a printable story to boot, ever thought about aproaching a paper with it?

Mind if I ask, how did you go about aproaching them before snapping away?

Thanks, hopefully there's something in the pipeline on that front. As far as the approach was concerned, My jobs given me a lot of training for approaching people in much more dangerous situations than this so I suppose I'm lucky!

I hope you gave them something for their time (y)

Great set and good story. I had no idea.

Believe it or not, they wouldn't accept anything from me. They had some cheap snacks and drinks and just wanted to share that with me. Very humbling experience.

Nice shots they have a real documentary feel to them :) I was reading up on Vegas as I'm looking at moving out that way later on this year/early 2010. I read something about a homeless problem but didn't realise it was so closely related to the recession.

cheers! I drove through this area again today and there were hundreds of homeless around. Obviously the mayor wants to clear them out so it doesn't affect the tourism, but I think real help for these guys should be at the top of the agenda.

Excellent. Tells a story.

Nice one!

Thanks guys!

Great set, as has been said could easily make a good human interest story in a paper!

that's very kind of you to say!

thank you!

Back