The Photography Show 2016

Going on Saturday have a list of things I must not buy....:LOL:

Would be good to meet up with fellow TP members if there's a meet up.

Can anyone remember what the food prices were like last year?

If it's anything like the food at Crufts, or indeed anything I've been to at the NEC, it will be the cheapest nastiest ingredients the caterers can lay their hands on and priced at the highest possible price they can get away with. I'll be taking my own, and not just because of the cost.

If it's anything like the food at Crufts, or indeed anything I've been to at the NEC, it will be the cheapest nastiest ingredients the caterers can lay their hands on and priced at the highest possible price they can get away with. I'll be taking my own, and not just because of the cost.

Interesting you should mention Cruffs, I did actually wonder if dog food was being dished up one year! Hopefully the new caterers have improved with the reorganisation.

Im off to this on the Saturday with the Mrs.
Booked it few weeks back but now only just seen the parking prices, 12 quid for the day :(
There's savings to be made, depending how creative you want to be.

You can go and park in the train station for about half price, or you can go to another local station further out, park for free and just get train tickets to the NEC (I haven't checked the prices)

There's savings to be made, depending how creative you want to be.

You can go and park in the train station for about half price, or you can go to another local station further out, park for free and just get train tickets to the NEC (I haven't checked the prices)

Yeah I read about the train station is only about 6 quid per day but also read you need to get there before 9am or it gets full on a Saturday.
I was gonna head down there for about 10:3ish but will see what its like.

Does anybody have any experience of getting tickets for the Adobe theatre?

The website says tickets will be available each day from the front of the theatre. There are a few sessions I'd like to see as I've booked for two days. Will I be able to pick up multiple tickets for the same day or will there be some sort of limit? Are there normally long queues?

Last edited:

Food wasn't too bad last year, I only tried one place which was slightly over priced but a reasonably decent meal.

The coffee outside the event on the other hand was the worst I've had in my life.

Well I got my Show and Train tickets last night. ☺

Got to leave at stupid o'clock in the morning. My first call is to the Nikon stand as the D500 is the reason I'm going. Got to handle it to make the wait not seem so long.

Anyone there tomorrow?

Last edited:
We're going up tonight and will be there tomorrow and Sunday (hopefully).

but now only just seen the parking prices, 12 quid for the day :(

For some reason car park staff seem to go home before the show finishes (or have at least twice in the past) so always pay for your parking on the way out (for some reason people queue on the way in to do it) and then if you leave near the end of the show there is a fair chance the staff will have buggered off and it will cost you nothing :)

I'm a bit disappointed... I'm sure when I checked the web site earlier in the week it said the online discounts would be available until the 18th. I wasn't sure when I would be able to go, but when I tried to book yesterday, the online discounts had disappeared, and only the exorbitant "on the day" prices were available. So sadly they won't be getting my ticket money this year... :( :( :(

I'm a bit disappointed... I'm sure when I checked the web site earlier in the week it said the online discounts would be available until the 18th. I wasn't sure when I would be able to go, but when I tried to book yesterday, the online discounts had disappeared, and only the exorbitant "on the day" prices were available. So sadly they won't be getting my ticket money this year... :( :( :(
I only bought my ticket yesterday, though it was about 3 am, and they still had the cheaper price. I also found an NEC discount code and got an extra £4 off. ☺

I'm currently sitting outside waiting for it to open. Lots of people going past in weird costumes on their way to the Comicon.

It's a shame the pre-booked tickets can't be used on any of the four days rather than only on a certain day you have to decide when booking. It would make it much easier to book in advance as it's likely anyone could visit on one of the four days rather than be tied to one day only. If you buy advanced tickets you are supporting the show whatever happens so a little leeway may help visitors actually go rather not go at all.

Interesting you should mention Cruffs, I did actually wonder if dog food was being dished up one year! Hopefully the new caterers have improved with the reorganisation.
Sadly it wasn't a great culinary experience this year!

Anyone spotted any good deals yet?
I was on the Sigma stand looking at the 150-600mm (I think) and asked the chap if I could feel the weight, he showed me two versions, one heavier and more expensive than the other, but he said they come with a free 1.4x converter at the show. I don't know how much they usually are, but sounds like a good deal.

Anyone spot any deals on the Nikon 85mm 1.8? Heading to the show tomorrow

The prices seemed pretty consistent but I'm pretty sure I saw one place doing them for £300 refurbed and another at £275 (or I might be mixing it up with Calumet Drummond Street, 3 hours sleep and lots of travel are not a good mix).

I went today and looks like there is 10 to 15% off street prices at most places.
I was looking at a Monfrotto tripod bag and at Manfrotto stand it was 40 quid but as the Calumet stand it was 27 quid, 5 quid cheaper than there site so worth looking round.

The my favourite mag stand is doing year subscription for 45 quid, 10 quid cheaper than the site and you get a Lowpro Nova Sport 35L AW bag with it, they say its worth 90 quid but more likely about 50/60 quid and its in orange.

My main reasons for going were to check out Gitzo tripods as I want to replace my aging Manfrotto, so that was useful as I talked to their guys and I now know what I need, also to talk to Loxley about print options and to go to some talks.

Was considering getting a Lee filter kit but wasn't tempted by any prices on offer

Back