The Rosetta Nebula

Very nice work :)

Nice, you certainly get a lot of detail out of the short exposures

Without using guiding, long exposures are prone to stretched stars and if that's the case, forget about trying to bring out the detail in any Nebula.

I am trying to find the limits of my tracking mount and, subject to clouds keeping away, it is possible to get the equivalent exposure time by using lots of shots.

I've only guided once since I started this hobby and that was with a 360mm scope using 2 minute subs. The same target unguided using 1 minute subs showed no degradation of image quality.
What tracking mount are you currently using?

I've only guided once since I started this hobby and that was with a 360mm scope using 2 minute subs. The same target unguided using 1 minute subs showed no degradation of image quality.
What tracking mount are you currently using?
I had a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6-GT mount, 550mm scope and Astro cameras for over 6 years. I always used guiding and could take exposures over 5 minutes.
But the gear was not getting used due to set-up times. So I sold all of it in January and went back to basics.

I got the Benro Polaris mount as it does not need Polar Alignment and uses your mobile phone for initial positioning (GPS) and GoTo. Once on target, it tracks pretty well but I am still learning its limits. I am using an M4/3 camera and a 300mm f/4 lens (which is 600mm FF equivalent) so tracking accuracy is critical. That's why I am taking short exposures. I can set up and be taking images in less than 5 mins so now there is no excuse for not using it.

Last edited:
Back