The Scafell Mountain Range

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
The highest ground in England is mostly shot from the Wasdale side given the views down the lake are fantastic - however the views up the Eskdale Valley are equally superb, perhaps even more spectacular although quite a bit out of the way for most.

I shot these from the top of Hardknott fell (which is immediately opposite the Scafell range) after visiting the Eskdale Needle (will return in better light) however as I was leaving the sky and conditions went a bit mental for 15 mins, cue ditching the tripod once again! For handheld's off a suspect lens in gloom at ISO 600 odd they've come up surprisingly well. At first I thought the whiteish blob on the top left of the squall in pic.1 was sloppy brushwork but after checking the RAW it's there as well so I've left it in, must have been the curious light.

Scafell Squall by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

The Scafells by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Scafell in Mono by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Tremendous mountain light Stuart, the first shot really floats my boat!
Cheers Nick, got very lucky the last two trips to the fells I must admit! Need to have a wander up to the Great Moss in the distance, you been up there? Looks a tremendously desolate place.
Awesome different views to the norm they dont even look like the UK (y)
Thanks Anthony (y) aye people need to get away from the typical views a bit with this stuff, it's out there you've just got to be willing to explore a bit. I'm very lucky living local but I'm amazed some of these spots aren't shot more often.

Cheers Nick, got very lucky the last two trips to the fells I must admit! Need to have a wander up to the Great Moss in the distance, you been up there? Looks a tremendously desolate place.

I have, it's the wildest feeling place in Lakeland. There are some great cascades on the upper Esk but it was long before I was a photographer when last I went so I don't know how photogenic they are. A grand place to be all there same. Good luck for tomorrow ;)

I have, it's the wildest feeling place in Lakeland. There are some great cascades on the upper Esk but it was long before I was a photographer when last I went so I don't know how photogenic they are. A grand place to be all there same. Good luck for tomorrow ;)
Cheers Nick, yeah the cascades look quite enticing and definitely worth an explore

#2 for me Stuart great capture light to die for, I see where you are coming from with regards the tripod and iso it does show within the sky in #1 maybe a slight noise reduction in that area?...Thanks for sharing
Kevin

More cracking work Stuart

Said it before, I'll say it again - all excellent shots.

Absolutely outstanding mate

1&2 are stunning!
Thanks very much chaps
it does show within the sky in #1 maybe a slight noise reduction in that area?...Thanks for sharing
Kevin
Thanks Kevin, yep spent an age scrutanising the noise as i've done a fair bit of reduction already, I think you're right with one, I'll go back and do a bit more on the sky as it's an easy enough fix and shouldn't compromise the sharpness of the image if its just in that area (y)

Very nice set Stuart and that light is great

Excellent set, love the mono (y)

Absaloutly superb Stuart, the contours, light and shadow across the first two is breathtaking! It must have been a sight to behold! I bet you were floating on air coming back down the mountain.
What a wonderful set, the mono is lovely of course but it has been eclipsed against the other two. If you really pushed me for a pick it would have to be No2.
Exceptional work!(y)

@69Bonni to be honest i came down the mountain fretting they were blurred, as most frames when the light turned were shot at 1/60 on a crap lens which will barely autofocus! It's great off a tripod but useless in anything other than bright conditions so I was just pleased half of them weren't soft as my hands were freezing so quite tricky to hold still.
@dekeyboy @Norkie thanks alot

@69Bonni to be honest i came down the mountain fretting they were blurred, as most frames when the light turned were shot at 1/60 on a crap lens which will barely autofocus! It's great off a tripod but useless in anything other than bright conditions so I was just pleased half of them weren't soft as my hands were freezing so quite tricky to hold still.
@dekeyboy @Norkie thanks alot
Yes I can see how you would be, you can never be sure what you have actually got till you throw it on the screen can you! You got the right result in the end though mate(y)
BTW what's 'Autofocus?':sneaky:

Haha yeah I know what you mean but when you can't feel your fingers auto focus was the only option!
I recently sorted out some of my focusing issues. with a trip to the opticians:(

Back