The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Been out with the Sony FE 70-200mm f4 G OSS today... here are some snap's I took....

DSC01480.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC01488.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC01494.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC01498.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC01566.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC01602.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC01657.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC01799.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

More can be found on my Flickr account.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/rizvanhussain/sets/72157645595820056/

Last edited:
A7+Minolta 50mm f1.4. Feeding the squirrels...

Last edited:
I have discovered that there seems to be no depth of field preview system on the A7 when using it with a LEA4 adaptor and a lens with no manual (physical) aperture setting or am I missing something? It's OK with the kit lens which is my only native FE lens. Camera is on A mode and live view display setting effect is on.

A7+Minolta 50mm f1.4 @f8, I think...

This is a shot of York that anyone who's been there has probably taken and it's nothing special in itself but it's sharp across the frame and looks lovely and I'm impressed that an old 50mm f1.4 that cost so little can produce such good results :D I couldn't ask for more sharpness.

I received Canon FD 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 today but haven't used them for any real world shots yet. First impressions from test shots with a Novoflex adapter are that the 28mm is ok, the 50mm is better than the Zuiko but not quite as sharp at f1.4 as the Rokkor and the 85mm is sharper than I thought it'd be at f1.8 (I'd read that it was soft wide open) and better than the Zuiko but not as good as keeping the fringing down as the Rokkor f2 at f2. So, out of my manual lenses the only real differences are between the 50mm f1.4's and 85mm f2 and 1.8 lenses and the Rokkors are the winners for sharpness and lack of fringing.

As I now have Rokkor, Zuiko and Canon FD's I've promised myself that I don't need any more old manual lenses.

I might get a FD 135mm later.

FD 85mm f1.8 @ f1.8, 100% (GF wont let me post whole image :D) It seems to have suffered by coming via Photobucket and looks a lot sharper on my screen. Anyway...

Last edited:
Hi fellow A7/A7R/A7S owners....

Just a heads up for you to save a few pennies.....
found some genuine Sony (W) batteries for sale on eBay for only £24.99, bargain as they usually go for £39.99.
I have nabbed 3 :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201121779007

Hurry before they are all gone.

Cheers

Riz :)

Still twice the price of the third party ones. But good deal if you only like Sony stuff.

Treated myself to some new glass. Nothing exciting but will serve me just fine.

[URL=http://s390.photobucket.com/user/robj20/media/_DSC0736.jpg.html][/URL]

Canon FD 70-210mm f4 and a Cosina 100mm f3.5 MC MACRO

I really fancied the Sony 70-200 but i just cant justify it for a lens i will barely use. Probably take the 70-210 out for a spin at weekend.

Hi gang quick one , just found a place that needs me to photographise (actual word ??) really wide so question , what is the widest I can go on my a7 ? I'm looking now and I love legacy so any help appreciated , the images will probably end up b&w probably .....help ( budget is an issue rite now ) thanks

Hi gang quick one , just found a place that needs me to photographise (actual word ??) really wide so question , what is the widest I can go on my a7 ? I'm looking now and I love legacy so any help appreciated , the images will probably end up b&w probably .....help ( budget is an issue rite now ) thanks

28mm f2.8's seem to be easy to find at around £30 and a 24mm f2.8 can be had for around £100 or so but anything wider seems to cost more.

Have you thought about making a panorama stitch?

You could get a Samyang 14mm for any mount for under £160. Just pick up the appropriate dumb adapter for £8.

No. Im considering the Samyang, all depends on what Sony have in store for the UWA.

Some example stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/14/

For the money and quality i dont think Sony is going to come close to these. It comes in E-Mount as well, if your not interested in using it anything else. Plus the interface will be 100% unlike some adapters.

Last edited:
Some example stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/14/

For the money and quality i dont think Sony is going to come close to these. It comes in E-Mount as well, if your not interested in using it anything else. Plus the interface will be 100% unlike some adapters.

That lens looks rather good..... might be useful for astra photography?
I have yet to buy any legacy MF lenses.... :eek:
Do I really need them? mmmm my Sony lenses cover a wide focal range with great quality.

24-70mm f4 OSS
55mm f1.8
70-200mm f4 OSS

Next I am hoping for a Macro lens and a Tele-converter (TC) .... what else could Sony release in the future that could be worth getting?

I gave up waiting for a macro lens, plus macro is a lens where MF is better so may as well get an old lens.

UWA is the one i'm wanting now, i love them for car shows get some great shots of the stationary cars, plus for landscape and night time work.

I'm searching for a samyang now any tips on locating one , I'm in Nottingham ?

ukdigital are the official stockist if your after a new one.

Am currently working through this thread, but In the meantime ....

What compact, fast, AF, primes in the 24-35mm range would I have the option of if I went for an A7??

Just the 35mm, anything else will need an adapter or be cropped.

The Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 is one of the sharpest lenses ever tested but I am not sure you can call it compact...
I suppose it could be considered compact compared to its rivals.
The as mentioned the 35mm f/2.8 is a good lens too and half the thickness of the 55mm.
Another wide prime should be announced later this year. :)

Hi fellow A7/A7R/A7S owners....

Just a heads up for you to save a few pennies.....
found some genuine Sony (W) batteries for sale on eBay for only £24.99, bargain as they usually go for £39.99.
I have nabbed 3 :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201121779007

Hurry before they are all gone.

Cheers

Riz :)

Please AVOID, got the batteries today and I'm going to demand a refund as they seem dodgy. Highly likely these are extremely good counterfeits.

:(

A bit off topic but...

I'm keeping MFT for the foreseeable. I have a G1 which mostly gets used with a 50mm macro and I have a GX7 with 20mm f1.7 which gets used when I want a small AF camera. I also have a 45mm f1.8, 14-42mm and 45-200mm, just in case.

For me MFT compliments my A7 just as a RF or quality compact complimented my film SLR's. I suppose a Sony Nex 6000 would do the same job but MFT is what I have :D and I don't see any image quality issues with the G1 at low to mid ISO's or with the GX7 and all ISO's up to very high.

Last edited:
As I have rare permission to use a few shots :D ... A7 + Minolta 50mm...

If it was me standing there it'd be a completely different image :D

100% crop, from a different shot :D

Last edited:
As I now have...

Minolta 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5.
Olympus 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5.
Canon FD 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8.
Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro, Minolta fit.
All via Novoflex adapters.

Any interest in a long and boring geeky sequence of test shots and thoughts on comparisons?

No, too long winded and difficult to compare on a screen.....:) However you might post a selection of your finest examples and tell us which is used. Which ones do you consider a winning performance in its field.....

As I now have...

Minolta 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5.
Olympus 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5.
Canon FD 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8.
Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro, Minolta fit.
All via Novoflex adapters.

Any interest in a long and boring geeky sequence of test shots and thoughts on comparisons?
Wow, that's quite a collection of legacy glass :)

Back