The Stork and the Moon

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a GIMP merge that I, with my limited knowledge of both photography and processing, did the other day.

It was the stork image under the moon image, but I guess that's obvious to everyone!

Anyway, my daughters were well impressed when I slid the opacity bar to uncover the stork! And to be honest, so was I.

I realise, however, that it's quite a 'simple' way of processing and could probably have been done much more effectively, and so I'd love some pointers for this type of processing. For example, is it possible to avoid darkening the background? - I mean that the moon image was obviously just that - the moon on a black sky, so even when you reduce its opacity you are still left with a grey cast over the background.

Any comments/help would be welcome.

Thanks

merge1 by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Hi,

Re the processing, try using a layer mask on the moon layer to 'paint' out the parts of the mask you want to show the layer below.
Not explained that very well. I'm sure there'll be Gimp tutorials on the net that show it better.

Paul.

Thanks for replying! I think I know what you mean, a bit like the selective colouring technique I imagine. You just paint out everything except the moon and the background image shows through crisp and clear.

Cheers

"Lighten only" blending mode can help with that situation, it's how I've transplanted the moon before.

Back