The top of Wales

I like the first and the fifth ones particularly. Although it's nice and clear and the scenery is stunning, I don't think the light is ideal, it looks harsh, producing deep shadows and bright highlights which have affected your middle three pictures particularly.

Is that a toposcope in the first one? I would have been tempted to get in a bit closer and make more of a feature of it. The fifth picture is a great composition and with the right light would be a real winner I think.

It does look generally amazing up there and I've seen loads of pictures where it's foggy or misty up there , it must be fantastic to be up there, when it's clear like this - I must go!

Thanks for the feedback guys.. seems these shot's aren't for everyone although I must admit I really like the contrasting light, it's a little different from the usual sunrise/sunset shots and I feel it adds a greater emphasises to the stature of Snowdon, maybe that's just me though ;-)

Simon

I've been away for a couple of weeks but I can't say I've been overwhelmed by the quality of light here in wales for quite a while now. Sometimes it HAS been clear but not that pure clarity you get with a good old north-westerly! I wonder if the lack of rain has contributed to the slightly tired looking colours of the vegetation as well?

Can't wait for a change in air mass, but it looks like we'll get that by the weekend. Here's hoping........

I like the leading lines of three and final images.
Lovely set though.

I've been away for a couple of weeks but I can't say I've been overwhelmed by the quality of light here in wales for quite a while now. Sometimes it HAS been clear but not that pure clarity you get with a good old north-westerly! I wonder if the lack of rain has contributed to the slightly tired looking colours of the vegetation as well?

Can't wait for a change in air mass, but it looks like we'll get that by the weekend. Here's hoping........

The vegetation's definitely missing a bit of rain Jerry, the hillsides are starting to take on a rather brown/muddy appearance. We have had some good light on a few days though, last Sunday the light at Cadair Idris was excellent although we certainly have had a fair amount of haze which isn't normally something you see in September. Like you I'm hoping autumn puts on a good show this year, not sure when it's likely to start though

I think it's a crying shame you didn't wait for the golden hour as I was working too late that day to get out but noticed some lovely skies...

The landscape of course is sublime and the clarity wonderful but you've dropped a b*****k in not sticking around, an opportunity wasted Simon ;)

Your trying to torture me arnt you! The place has always taken my breath away even in the P**ing rain (When i mostly used to see it).
Well of course i like them all, but i love the composition in No1 the Trig point features great in the foreground then looking down over Y Lliwedd and Lyn Llydaw stretching right across to that great horizon topped off with cloud. Lovely. This is is the one i like best from this set.

2,3 and 4 taken around Bwlch Glas? i guess, 2 shows well the staggering North face with quite a contrast against the light hitting Y Lliwedd running you along the ridge off to the clouds on the horizon. Out of those i think i like No 3 best for the wider perspective and the Llyn's then 2 for that great perspective on the North face, then No 4 that has a nice diagonal of the ridge running up to the summit and the stark contrast against the bright blue sky. Love the little white puf of cloud;).
No 5 What no train?;) Nice shot looking down Llanberis pass, Nant Peris and Llyn Peris in the distance...

Hope you havnt caught the harsh light bug off me:(. Although there is something about the bright blue skys i find compelling and you cant odds the light sometimes and it was very clear which gives you great views into the distance, which you probably wouldnt see later on when the cloud comes in.
Has there been a lack of rain over the last year up there? I noticed some of the Lakes were much lower than i had expected them to be, and as said above the greenery seemed to be looking a little tired.

Nice set Simon (request spot, please can i see some Glyder Fawr / Glyder Fach please with a touch of Tryfan).

Last edited:
I think it's a crying shame you didn't wait for the golden hour as I was working too late that day to get out but noticed some lovely skies...

The landscape of course is sublime and the clarity wonderful but you've dropped a b*****k in not sticking around, an opportunity wasted Simon ;)

Point taken Nick.. I did err on the side of caution, it's a long time since I've walked the Llanberis Path and couldn't remember how clear it would be to navigate in the dark so left the summit a bit early. Having said that the aim of the visit was to capture photos for my book with the idea of representing what a typical visitor to Snowdon might have the opportunity to photograph... few will be on the summit at sunset so this set more represents the images that the vast majority of visitors will have the chance to capture. The book needs a balance, so filling it full of sunrise/sunset/golden hour shots really wouldn't be a great idea... it would have been nice to catch some golden hour shots for my own collection though but living in the area fortunately I'll have another opportunity, especially now I realise how easy it will be to get from the summit in darkness

Thanks

Simon

Last edited:
Your trying to torture me arnt you! The place has always taken my breath away even in the P**ing rain (When i mostly used to see it).
Well of course i like them all, but i love the composition in No1 the Trig point features great in the foreground then looking down over Y Lliwedd and Lyn Llydaw stretching right across to that great horizon topped off with cloud. Lovely. This is is the one i like best from this set.

2,3 and 4 taken around Bwlch Glas? i guess, 2 shows well the staggering North face with quite a contrast against the light hitting Y Lliwedd running you along the ridge off to the clouds on the horizon. Out of those i think i like No 3 best for the wider perspective and the Llyn's then 2 for that great perspective on the North face, then No 4 that has a nice diagonal of the ridge running up to the summit and the stark contrast against the bright blue sky. Love the little white puf of cloud;).
No 5 What no train?;) Nice shot looking down Llanberis pass, Nant Peris and Llyn Peris in the distance...

Hope you havnt caught the harsh light bug off me:(. Although there is something about the bright blue skys i find compelling and you cant odds the light sometimes and it was very clear which gives you great views into the distance, which you probably wouldnt see later on when the cloud comes in.
Has there been a lack of rain over the last year up there? I noticed some of the Lakes were much lower than i had expected them to be, and as said above the greenery seemed to be looking a little tired.

Nice set Simon (request spot, please can i see some Glyder Fawr / Glyder Fach please with a touch of Tryfan).

Thanks for your thoughts Steve, glad to here they have some appeal ;-)

2,3,4 are at Bwlch Glas, one more of which I've added below. I did consider hanging around a bit longer but wanted shots from this viewpoint.. the shadows were looming ever larger around Llyn Llydaw and the light disappearing with the falling sun so that together with the potential route finding issues made me decide on this time to take the shots.

The hillsides are looking quite barren in places, it's been unusually dry this summer although that looks like it could well change in the coming days

Cheers

Point taken Nick.. I did err on the side of caution, it's a long time since I've walked the Llanberis Path and couldn't remember how clear it would be to navigate in the dark so left the summit a bit early. Having said that the aim of the visit was to capture photos for my book with the idea of representing what a typical visitor to Snowdon might have the opportunity to photograph... few will be on the summit at sunset so this set more represents the images that the vast majority of visitors will have the chance to capture. The book needs a balance, so filling it full of sunrise/sunset/golden hour shots really wouldn't be a great idea... it would have been nice to catch some golden hour shots for my own collection though but living in the area fortunately I'll have another opportunity, especially now I realise how easy it will be to get from the summit in darkness

Thanks

Simon

Lovely record shots for vast majority Simon, can you ask them to take there litter home with them too PLEASE in the book ;) I know that is high on my list of priorities for my book, And can say it's not easy in the dark especially when the mists are low therefore making any form of light/head torch diffused and useless it can get very tricky indeed trust me, so please tread careful if planning a trip to summit in the dark, if you have high pressure above and clear skys then happy days you will not run into difficulty, providing your bty's are healthy.

Kevin

Last edited:
Lovely record shots for vast majority Simon, can you ask them to take there litter home with them too PLEASE in the book ;) I know that is high on my list of priorities for my book, And can say it's not easy in the dark especially when the mists are low therefore making any form of light/head torch defussed and useless it can get very tricky indeed trust me, so please tread careful if planning a trip to summit in the dark, if you have high pressure above and clear skys then happy days you will not run into difficulty, providing your bty's are healthy.

Kevin

They'll definitely be a small section in the book about "responsible photography" Kevin, part of which is making sure you leave locations as you find them.

Talking about routefinding on my way back down.. 45 minutes from the summit and only 1hr before sunset I passed a young couple on their way up in T shirts and trainers, I couldn't walk past them without asking if they planned going to the top, they did. I politely explained that they had at least 45 minutes of climbing + 1.5hrs of descent left and that the last train had departed the summit over 2hrs ago.. they continued regardless so I hope they got back down ok !!

I think that unfortunately, because there's a train to the summit of Snowdon, people think they're out for an afternoons stroll in the park.. I can see why the mountain rescue guys get frustrated, I wasn't happy with the couple continuing on myself but you can only try !!

Simon

Last edited:
Yes Always er on the side of safety, things look very different at night and it is oh so easy to make a mistake. In the lowlands it's one thing, on the mountains a simple mistake can have catastrophic consequences, it could be the last mistake you make.
I really want to see the book so take care!

At least you warned them Simon you can do nothing more. I do think that's a consequence of these 'motorway' paths people think its a walk in the park. Until it gets dark and or the weather changes, let's hope they didn't learn the hard way. Even I carried a map and compass and the usual minimum safety kit when I went up at 13.00.

Last edited:
Happy days Simon please if you can make that section a little bigger, Last time I spoke to Nick face to face around two months ago and looking forwared to meeting him again this coming Monday, he told the story of how he managed to compose three walkers from manchester trying to Scramble off Crib Goch to the east which looks ok from ridge until you come to a cliff face, thank God he was their to get a GRIP of them and lead them to safety.

At least you warned them Simon.

kevin

Last edited:
Back