The younger, or more timid generation.

Working in power presses, only so much danger can be removed, it can never be 100% safe. Some of my work colleagues would refuse to work in power presses because they were frightened of them.

View attachment 277091
This is me working inside a 1000 Ton power press a few years ago. The yellow pillars in the corners are safety props, there's one in each corner on this particular press, to stop the press ram free falling should the compressed air supply fail. What you can't see above my head is a huge lump of metal, probably 5 ton or more, bolted to an inner ram. If the bolts failed clamping that 5 to weight to the inner ram, there is nothing other than the casting flange from preventing it falling right through and crushing me.
Some quake in their boots at the thought of working under that, especially in a noisy, busy press shop, and the press you are in can shake from the vibration of 100's of other presses turning over around you.
I have encountered younger generation who think getting a cut at work is a big deal, running off to the medical or find a first aide for a plaster and treat it as a badge of honour. I just wrap a tissue round it with masking tape and continue working.

:) , love the photo. Reminds me of my days of crawling under big old Scammell and Volvo trucks, while being held up just on commercial trolley jacks, without props, can't believe I did that. o_O

Can't seem to login to Netflix for some reason, will keep trying as I really do want to watch that programme.

Maybe you need a Young Person™ to help you with the controls... ;)

Maybe you need a Young Person™ to help you with the controls... ;)

Back in the days of the VHS, non of us adults could work the new machine. Plonk it down in front of the children, they soon had it up and running. So yes, you are correct there. :)

Can't seem to login to Netflix for some reason, will keep trying as I really do want to watch that programme.
It's well worth watching in my opinion. Some old footage of Mk1 Cortinas on the production line. Even after car production ceased at Dagenham in 2002, some of the car body assembly area in the stamping plant was still there in 2013 when we closed and some of it looks familiar to me. In the end credits they talk to some of the women workers at the time the film was made plus some original old news footage of the women being interviewed at the time. If nothing else the film gives an insight into the working lives of people in the 60's.

It's well worth watching in my opinion. Some old footage of Mk1 Cortinas on the production line. Even after car production ceased at Dagenham in 2002, some of the car body assembly area in the stamping plant was still there in 2013 when we closed and some of it looks familiar to me. In the end credits they talk to some of the women workers at the time the film was made plus some original old news footage of the women being interviewed at the time. If nothing else the film gives an insight into the working lives of people in the 60's.

You have got me salivating now, as I love those old cars. I usually watch old car clips on YouTube, favourite being HubNut. I will certainly get it on after, I think it is a problem with the password. But missus is sorting it out. :)

How has this supposed lifestyle contributed to the fact that houses are now eight to ten times the average salary? Which is the real reason you need two salaries to buy a house.
It's not the real reason you need to salaries to buy a house! The interest rate on mortgages is a fraction of the cost it was back in the day, in fact in living memory. It's never been so cheap, so get over the x average salary bit, it's the actual monthly repayment cost percentage of toady's average wage that you need to compare. I bet, in real terms, that's actually less than it was in the 70s or 80s. If so, that's your argument blown out of the water, isn't it? :whistle:

Last edited:
If so, that's your argument blown out of the water, isn't it?
In post #143 I pointed out that there is an enormous difference in the average wage / house price ratio between the north of England and London. There's also a very large difference between average incomes and income extremes; most especially, again, in London.

This is a very complicated issue and there are no simple answers to the question of affordability, even if you limit discussion to a defined area, such as a single county or even a single city.

How has this supposed lifestyle contributed to the fact that houses are now eight to ten times the average salary? Which is the real reason you need two salaries to buy a house.
As I've mentioned before When we bought this place, ( mid 70's ) I was on "average" wages, the house it self was 11k
twice my yearly salary. However the interest rate was around the 16% mark, we took a 10 year mortgage and paid it off.

Even at above the so called average wage 45 years later, there is no way in hell I could afford to by my own place these days even with the minuscule interests rates.

And as an aside, with a little money in the bank the interest rates are not worth talking about. Those of a certain generation, got screwed both ends.

Last edited:
And as an aside, with a little money in the bank the interest rates are not worth talking about. Those of a certain generation, got screwed both ends.

My income has been buttons for over ten years now since I left full time paid work. My only income is from savings and the interest rate is dropping ever further through the floor by the day. I'm ok but there are millions who aren't and I think it's often forgotten that there are many more savers than debtors. I think that's still true and if it is I wish something could be done for those who've lead a lifestyle which has allowed them to save a bit with the hope that those savings could provide some sort of income in the future.

This next bit wont be popular but I'll say it anyway.

I know many people who plead poverty but they have no idea what the word means. They have multiple large screen TV's, smartphones on contracts, tablets, computers and multiple gaming devices and so do their children, plus they drink, often there's recreational (or hard) drugs, their diet is crap and they seem to feel free to spend money they haven't got. Season tickets for the local team? Really?

Describe a smartphone and gaming free lifestyle or suggest they spend some booze and drug money on cleaning products and I might as well be talking to a wall and I wouldn't even try to suggest they buy the ingredients and cook some decent and cheaper food.

As I've mentioned before When we bought this place, ( mid 70's ) I was on "average" wages, the house it self was 11k
twice my yearly salary. However the interest rate was around the 16% mark, we took a 10 year mortgage and paid it off.

Even at above the so called average wage 45 years later, there is no way in hell I could afford to by my own place these days even with the minuscule interests rates.

You "well off" oldies. :)

Not forgetting the old 'puddin' basin' as well as 'short back and sides' done with manual clippers - army style. Good old dad - not. ;)
Followed up a quick 'singe' with the lit taper....not me but seeing dad getting his haircut in the late 50's to early 60's. We used to visit my grandmother in North London and his barber was there. I recall seeing there was something in a frame on the wall signed by Monty.... the barber saw service with the Desert Rats.

Reactions: Sky
Followed up a quick 'singe' with the lit taper....not me but seeing dad getting his haircut in the late 50's to early 60's. We used to visit my grandmother in North London and his barber was there. I recall seeing there was something in a frame on the wall signed by Monty.... the barber saw service with the Desert Rats.
I'd forgotten about the singe. Never knew why they did that.
Also,
"Something for the weekend sir?" :)

My dad was a barber, trouble is when you're a kid you can't go somewhere else, you have to live with Jason Kings choppy north sea hair piece till you're old enough to choose you're own stylist.
That was a funny old day when I came home with a hair do, cut by somebody else....:rolleyes:

Regardless, I never saw him melt hair, bryll cream yes, matches....no

This next bit wont be popular but I'll say it anyway.

I know many people who plead poverty but they have no idea what the word means. They have multiple large screen TV's, smartphones on contracts, tablets, computers and multiple gaming devices and so do their children, plus they drink, often there's recreational (or hard) drugs, their diet is crap and they seem to feel free to spend money they haven't got. Season tickets for the local team? Really?

Describe a smartphone and gaming free lifestyle or suggest they spend some booze and drug money on cleaning products and I might as well be talking to a wall and I wouldn't even try to suggest they buy the ingredients and cook some decent and cheaper food.

I do remember growing up as a child, most of our neighbours were in the same position. We were all poor, the days of borrowing a cup of sugar, or a bit of butter etc. Most people had to rely on a friend / neighbour, or family member, if you had a lean week. There were no food banks, but I think some did use a charity of some sort.

We had no fancy gadgets back in the day, hey you were lucky if you had an indoor bog. :)

Did a small shop this morning, and I went queue up. An older woman who was hobbling along, dashed in front of me. Yes, some old people do behave badly. :mad:

My elderly neighbours, whom I love dearly, are offended by the sight of gay people, to the point where they will turn the TV off they feature in something they’re watching. They also struggle to empathise with the plight of immigrants and refugees. If being emotionally vulnerable/open means being able to empathise with people who are different from you then I’m happy to be a snowflake.

My elderly neighbours, whom I love dearly, are offended by the sight of gay people, to the point where they will turn the TV off they feature in something they’re watching. They also struggle to empathise with the plight of immigrants and refugees. If being emotionally vulnerable/open means being able to empathise with people who are different from you then I’m happy to be a snowflake.

Isn't empathy a strength, though?

I wonder how they would react to being nursed in hospital by a gay immigrant? I wonder if their opinions would make them refuse treatment?

That is one area that you average youngsters of today, is much more accepting. Your average person many years ago, was not that accepting and open. I have always been accepting of all people. :)

I have always been accepting of all people. :)
I haven't. I've evolved gradually from not far off Alf Garnett to understanding that my phobias are my problem and that I shouldn't try to make them someone else's. Although I now accept and respect people from other groups, I suspect it's a journey that's not over yet...

Trying out traditional Indian dress at Swindon Mela 10D CAN_4389.jpg

I do remember growing up as a child, most of our neighbours were in the same position. We were all poor, the days of borrowing a cup of sugar, or a bit of butter etc. Most people had to rely on a friend / neighbour, or family member, if you had a lean week. There were no food banks, but I think some did use a charity of some sort.

We had no fancy gadgets back in the day, hey you were lucky if you had an indoor bog. :)

I think the definition of being hard up has been stretched beyond anything people could have imagined pre 2000. I started work in 1978 and even then most of us youngsters had next to nothing as did our families. I remember buying my first calculator for college and then my first decent calculator which cost about three weeks wages.

These day when people with a car, multiple large screen tv's and games consoles and smartphones on contract whinge about being hard up I just bite my tongue.

Oh and where I am you can buy a three bedroom semi for £100k-150k with front and back garden and garage. If you're willing to live elsewhere terraced houses can be had between £20k-£30K and semis with front and back gardens from £40k and up. Going upmarket a detached 3 bedroom house can be yours for £125k.

Last edited:
I think the definition of being hard up has been stretched beyond anything people could have imagined pre 2000. I started work in 1978 and even then most of us youngsters had next to nothing as did our families. I remember buying my first calculator for college and then my first decent calculator which cost about three weeks wages.

Still, this? What are you trying to 'prove' here? That you had it 'tougher'? It's all relative isn't it. Yes, there are more comforts, more labour saving devices, more this, more that, and significantly; far more easy credit. But there are still stresses and strains of everyday life. Far less job security now, for one. Far greater proportional burden for most people trying to buy their own house in any city or town with anything near decent prospects. Etc etc etc. But we've done this. This now seems to be some kind of willy waving contest to see who had it tougher. It's very boring. Bottom line is, for all your protestations of hardship, there are people on this planet now who don't have access to clean water, healthcare, education and all sorts. In 2020. Which makes them far tougher than you. So stop whinging and sit down and have a cup of tea. If you were really tough, you wouldn't be whining on about it all the time... ;)

Still, this? What are you trying to 'prove' here? That you had it 'tougher'? It's all relative isn't it. Yes, there are more comforts, more labour saving devices, more this, more that, and significantly; far more easy credit. But there are still stresses and strains of everyday life. Far less job security now, for one. Far greater proportional burden for most people trying to buy their own house in any city or town with anything near decent prospects. Etc etc etc. But we've done this. This now seems to be some kind of willy waving contest to see who had it tougher. It's very boring. Bottom line is, for all your protestations of hardship, there are people on this planet now who don't have access to clean water, healthcare, education and all sorts. In 2020. Which makes them far tougher than you. So stop whinging and sit down and have a cup of tea. If you were really tough, you wouldn't be whining on about it all the time... ;)

Welcome back.

Prove anything?

I thought I was being perfectly clear but obviously not so I'll spell it out even more clearly.

Anyone pleading poverty or merely needing to prioritise needs to take a look at their own lifestyle and spending and cut back where cut backs can be made. No one needs multiple TV's and games machines, the whole family don't need smartphones on contracts, no one needs a season ticket to the local sporting team. Changing things around is often possible. I used to have a GF who couldn't pass a coffee shop on her own without going in for a coffee and a slice of cake let alone when she was with her mates. Her whole life went on a credit card and she paid the minimum every month. There's an army of people who live like that.

The rest of your post is just argumentative ill thought out mindless noise which would be easy to counter but isn't worthy of my time. I've learned that from other exchanges with you.

Sorry.

These day when people with a car, multiple large screen tv's and games consoles and smartphones on contract whinge about being hard up I just bite my tongue.

Oh and where I am you can buy a three bedroom semi for £100k-150k with front and back garden and garage. If you're willing to live elsewhere terraced houses can be had between £20k-£30K and semis with front and back gardens from £40k and up. Going upmarket a detached 3 bedroom house can be yours for £125k.

I do think things were harder back in the day, I am just happy todays youngsters don't have it as nearly as bad. Yes there are plenty of families struggling at the moment, but I still think things were harder back in the day. Your average youngster today would not be seen out in a pair of trainers that cost less than £100 or so.

Growing up as a child, you could not pick and choose. You had to make do with hand me downs. Or possibly stuff that was donated by a charity. Just thinking now, we were so grateful for anything we got, and we valued anything we were given.

Welcome back.

Prove anything?

I thought I was being perfectly clear but obviously not so I'll spell it out even more clearly.

Anyone pleading poverty or merely needing to prioritise needs to take a look at their own lifestyle and spending and cut back where cut backs can be made. No one needs multiple TV's and games machines, the whole family don't need smartphones on contracts, no one needs a season ticket to the local sporting team. Changing things around is often possible. I used to have a GF who couldn't pass a coffee shop on her own without going in for a coffee and a slice of cake let alone when she was with her mates. Her whole life went on a credit card and she paid the minimum every month. There's an army of people who live like that.

The rest of your post is just argumentative ill thought out mindless noise which would be easy to counter but isn't worthy of my time. I've learned that from other exchanges with you.

Sorry.

Lordy lordy lordy. They don't like it up 'em, Mr Mainwaring... Ok I'll step back from this now, cos I'm bored and there's censorship on this forum. But it is ironic, that someone claiming young people whinge and moan about stuff, is whinging and moaning about stuff...

Laters innit.

Ooh me Lumbago...

[Shuffles off to tend vegetables]

Last edited:
Being a child and getting promised a tatty old coat by an older family member, and crying when I did not get it. Could you imagine that today? No, neither could I. Your average youngster would scoff at the thought, of wearing an older family members coat, that was old tatty and full of holes. But when you have nothing, you are grateful for anything you get.

Lordy lordy lordy. They don't like it up 'em, Mr Mainwaring... Ok I'll step back from this now, cos I'm bored and there's censorship on this forum. But it is ironic, that someone claiming young people whinge and moan about stuff, is whinging and moaning about stuff...

Laters innit.

Ooh me Lumbago...

[Shuffles off to tend vegetables]

To be honest, most of us are right moaners. I am probably one of the biggest moaners on here, but I would still like to get along with everyone. :)

Welcome back.

Prove anything?

Sorry.
It’s s just utter drivel and it’s everyday, give us all a rest please

Being a child and getting promised a tatty old coat by an older family member, and crying when I did not get it. Could you imagine that today? No, neither could I. Your average youngster would scoff at the thought, of wearing an older family members coat, that was old tatty and full of holes. But when you have nothing, you are grateful for anything you get.

The problem is that you're comparing apples with oranges. There will still be kids today being forced to wear tatty old hand me downs and there were kids back in your day who would have had all the latest toys. You're comparing the poor kids of your generation to the more privileged of this one. There were privileged kids in your generation and there are poor kids in this one.

I'm bored and there's censorship on this forum.
You do like to get your little digs in don't you?
Salt and vinegar with that?
Censorship applies to people's posts, that are not polite to others, and those that take a thread off topic just for arguments sake.

I repeat from page 2 of this thread

Quite ironic that the young are portrayed by some of the older generation as wimps and scared of their own shadow.
Boot on the other foot now the old daily fail reading moaners are s***ting their selves

I do think things were harder back in the day, I am just happy todays youngsters don't have it as nearly as bad. Yes there are plenty of families struggling at the moment, but I still think things were harder back in the day. Your average youngster today would not be seen out in a pair of trainers that cost less than £100 or so.

Growing up as a child, you could not pick and choose. You had to make do with hand me downs. Or possibly stuff that was donated by a charity. Just thinking now, we were so grateful for anything we got, and we valued anything we were given.

I'm the youngest of three and the others are girls. Imagine how I felt starting work in hand me downs. Those floral summer dresses were cooling though under my leather welding apron.

Oh and where I am you can buy a three bedroom semi for £100k-150k with front and back garden and garage.
Double that and you could buy our 2 bedroom flat and a few grand change. You won't get a garden or garage, but you will get use of a communal drying area.

Back