Theft Protection

Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to Orlando in September on honeymoon and plan on taking my brand new last week Canon 5D MKII, Canon 24-105mm USM L-Series kit lens, Canon 70-300mm USM telephoto lens, Canon 50mm prime lens, 580EX II Speedlight etc whilst visiting Disney to capture the visual magic.

We will be taking a wheelchair for my (soon-to-be) wife to sit in whilst travelling around the park. We need a camera bag/security combo suitable to sit on the back of the wheelchair (using the handles) and to stop the bag being opened/taken from the wheelchair.

So far the only realistic option I have come across is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PacSafe-Sec...TF8&colid=2EWB5QB3MGYAA&coliid=I2QP6CSDI7U9F5

Once option I dismissed was from that guy who sells speedlight light modifiers, who offered a collection of caps which enabled you to secure lenses etc, but these were expensive and looked fiddly (lots of keys involved).

I was surprised when I started my search to discover how easy it was to steal items from a bag with zips on it (even if padlocked) by stabbing the zip with a bic pen to create an opening, take out the valuables and then lock it up again so it goes unnoticed!

Any suggestions?

I've got the 85 and 120 versions of the pacsafe (the 85 is fine for a smaller bag or rucksack, but needed the 120 for my Lowepro Nature Trekker II AW).

There is definitely a knack to getting the bag into them and getting them secured, but they seem fairly good.

Like most security devices, they are aimed at making it difficult / time consuming for a thief, rather than impossible - the downside being that using one does advertise the fact that there is something valuable inside the bag.

I should mention the idea is that it will all be secure when left by the sides of rollercoasters etc.

Surely nothing advertises expensive kit more than actually getting it out and using it in public, which is going to be the idea whilst there?

I could do with a secure bag which doesn't advertise that it is designed for that purpose, rather than an external solution.

Ideally a bag like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Geographic-NG2477-Large-Shoulder/dp/B0017X57WK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_9 but with built in security.

I should mention the idea is that it will all be secure when left by the sides of rollercoasters etc.

Surely nothing advertises expensive kit more than actually getting it out and using it in public, which is going to be the idea whilst there?

I could do with a secure bag which doesn't advertise that it is designed for that purpose, rather than an external solution.

Ideally a bag like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Geographic-NG2477-Large-Shoulder/dp/B0017X57WK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_9 but with built in security.

If it's "In the Open" then the visible deterrent side of the pacsac should work to your advantage - an opportunist thief is unlikely to want to spend time messing about trying to defeat the mesh / locks - to big a risk someone will challenge them.

The risk is, instead, that someone will instead report the bag as 'suspicious' and security will want to know why someone has locked a bag to a rollercoaster and left...

What happens if someone makes off with the wheelchair while your on the rollercoaster etc.

This is a possibility, any ideas?

Well, if you're using a packsafe, the cable that goes through the opening in the mesh bag should be plenty long enough to loop through the wheelchair's wheel (IE Sit the bag in the packsafe in the wheelchair, then loop the cable through the big wheels and back to the bag - the padlock secures the end of the cable to the special clip that holds the mesh bag closed) - bag is secured to the wheelchair, which cannot be wheeled away because of the cable through the wheels.
May be less likely to scare security as well!

Excellent. What shoulder bag would you recommend me getting to make it easy to access my kit whilst walking along but keeping it protected in all weather and with enough padding to stop it all being bashed about? Needs to be big enough for the kit I mentioned above and several filters, memory cards, a blower, microfibre cloths, spare camera batteries and aa/aaa batteries.

I need to get this before I know which size pacsafe to get.

Not sure if you have camera to insurance, but if yes, then if it gets stolen from the wheelchair that you have left unattended, then your insurance will be void. You won't get a penny for it.
I would consider getting good P&S instead of investing in extra security, new bag etc.
I wouldn't take the risk.

As for the bag, I love mine ThinkTank airport essentials.

Thanks for the reply. I will be checking on the insurance side of things, but your suggestion to get a P&S is not particularly useful as that wasn't part of the original question.

The bad you use looks good for carrying kit around, but I need something that I can keep to my side so I can grab kit quickly and change it without taking off the bag, finding somewhere stable to get kit out etc. This means less time messing about and more time taking photos. Also the ability to do this with one hand instead of two has its advantages.

So what shoulder bags would people recommend?

I tend to only use a shoulder bag when I'm not going to be actually carrying it much, preferring a rucksack if I'm carrying gear fro any period of time.

Have you considered one of the 'sling' backpacks (EG Lowepro Slingshot)?

Only way to be sure is to not leave it, leaving that amount of equipment unattended, no matter how you secure it is asking for trouble and I doubt any insurance company would cover you for equipment unattended.

If you must leave it, then tie a big dog to the wheelchair, or get a decent should bag, Think tank are the best ones.

I already have the Kata 3N1-20 Medium Sling Backpack but find it too awkward to get kit out on the go.

What happens if someone makes off with the wheelchair while your on the rollercoaster etc.

We went there a about 10 years ago and we pre-booked an invalid scooter for use at the parks.

You then avoid all the queues for the rides as you can go to the ride 'exit point' and you get on the next run of the ride. The scooter is also in a secure area and there are ride staff watching over it for you.

We went there a about 10 years ago and we pre-booked an invalid scooter for use at the parks.

You then avoid all the queues for the rides as you can go to the ride 'exit point' and you get on the next run of the ride. The scooter is also in a secure area and there are ride staff watching over it for you.

This is kind of what I thought. Any more recommendations on shoulder bags? I have others bags for LOOONG treks, but like I say I need something I can get everything out of easily. The Kata 3-in-1 Slind bag is good for getting the body out, but taking out the lenses is a different matter and if doing it from over hip height (as intended) is cringe worthy because they are either fiddly to get out or likely to end up on the floor because they are loose.

Ploddles said:

Last time I went to any theme park any bags left were at your own risk. I wouldn't rely on minimum wage joe to keep an eye on your bag especially when busy.

Any more recommendations on shoulder bags? I have others bags for LOOONG treks, but like I say I need something I can get everything out of easily. The Kata 3-in-1 Slind bag is good for getting the body out, but taking out the lenses is a different matter and if doing it from over hip height (as intended) is cringe worthy because they are either fiddly to get out or likely to end up on the floor because they are loose.

I can tell you what I use - the HRPC Rucksack (with a padlock) and various packsafes (85, 120, Stashsafe and independant cabling).

However, to echo previous posters, the weakpoint in all of this is the padlock (google padlock shim or key bumping). I can break my own security in less than 10 seconds and I am not a professional thief.

The reality is that if you want security then keep your camera around your neck, I have as much security as I can afford - I can kid myself that it is worth it, but the reality is that it is only a deterrent - and not a very good one in all fairness.

Right, as I'm on a deadline I have ordered the most suitable bag for purpose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Classified-250-AW-Shoulder/dp/tech-data/B001H33VW8/ref=de_a_smtd
Lowepro Classified 250 AW Shoulder Bag for DSLR, Laptop and 2-3 Lenses - Black

The only question now is, which pacsafe do I need for this size bag:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PacSafe-Sec...VFP8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1344344233&sr=8-4
PacSafe 55 Secure Protector for Backpack or Bag

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PacSafe-120...TBFU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344344233&sr=8-3
PacSafe 120 Secure Backpack & Bag Protector

Not sure if this is helpful,

But I have a lowepro flipside 400aw and there's only one access to the main compartment and that's against your back. Took mine into a market in turkey with out a second thought

I cannot believe that your considering leaving your kit unattended while going on the rides, that in my opinion is madness and a recipe for disaster :eek:

Investigate if there are secure locations that you can leave your kit while on rides would be my suggestion rather than buying any bag that is marketed as secure/safe as you can almost guarantee that criminals will be experts on identifying bags like that as a prime target, you may as well have a big sign over your kit shouting knick me :bang:

Matt
MWHCVT

Don't leave it on the wheelchair unattended whatever you do!!

A few years ago we were in the Orlando Parks with our then much younger kids in a Buggy (A Nice expensive one about £300), which was left in the buggy park at a ride, on returning after the ride to the buggy park the expensive buggy was gone, and after contacting security who came over we found the only buggy left to be a ratty $10 Walmart special!.

Security advised its very common there, locals come in with a cheap Baby buggy, and shop for the more expensive ones in the buggy park leaving the the cheap one behind, they also get the bonus of whatever is in the bags as well,

Security said it happens multiple times a day, so if its happening to buggies, then Wheelchairs are do doubt fair game as well!!!

I have the 85 - which I use for my smaller backpack, and the 120, which I use for a Nature Trekker AW II

I woudl say the 120 will be a lot bigger than you need - an 85 will certainly be big enough, the 55 may be big enough.

(Link to 85 on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacsafe-85-Rucksack-security-device/dp/B000ZPD6I8/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1344369933&sr=1-3-catcorr)

The middle sized one also happens to be the most expensive... I just have no idea whether the smaller one would be big enough!

I've not read all your thead, but I am disabled and use a wheelchair I used a crumpled bum bag for my camera and one lens at that time I only had three lenses so choose what I needed and just went with that,

You can get a buggy clip to secure buggies I assume they'd work on wheelchairs

When we go back when dd is older I think we'll make it just the one big holiday stay on site and spend alot of days rather than do to much in the few days we had

Now I assume you'll be talking your wife's blue badge because you can get priority queuing and reduced entry to Disney. I forget what else you can ask for but the ticket that stops you needing to queue was brilliant

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Looks like a good idea (but perhaps not going to help in this situation because the wheels are quick release).

I still don't know which size pacsafe mesh to get!

Not sure if this is helpful,

But I have a lowepro flipside 400aw and there's only one access to the main compartment and that's against your back. Took mine into a market in turkey with out a second thought

I too use a Flipside 400 AW (amongst other bags). I must say I do like the security of having the only opening to my equipment behind my back at all times.

If it helps, I can get my Tamrac Expedition 6X (which is huge) in a Pacsafe 55 (just!).

Back