Thermal socks

Layers, as with all other clothing. Try a pair of Bamboo socks under your existing thermal ones. Personally I wouldn't go back to 'normal' socks after trying Bamboo ones just because they're so much more comfortable.

I've a pair of 'heat holders' which work well. To be honest they're a bit too toasty if I wear them with my neoprene Muck boots in anything but snow and ice. They're thick though so not really suited to footware sized for a thin sock if that makes sense.

I had a pair of Alpaca socks which were lovely and warm without being really huge.

I had a pair of Alpaca socks which were lovely and warm without being really huge.
Surely they come in packs of 4?
( sorry :coat: )
I work outside in some quite harsh environments from time to time and tend to wear generic "ski socks"

Muck boots, as mentioned above, are the thing if you can wear them. Good to -40 degrees with only medium socks.
Referring to neoprene lined Muckboots which do not cost 3 figures. I think I paid about £50 for mine.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Aigle boots. The uneducated call them wellies, but they're not. Neoprene lined and toasty as hell. No special socks needed. Only drawback is that they cost 3 figures. But you can stand in water all day and be dry and warm. They also have a proper boot sole, not the welly type so you can walk just about anywhere in them.
I'm taking them to Iceland as my main outdoor footwear.

Muck boots, as mentioned above, are the thing if you can wear them. Good to -40 degrees with only medium socks.
Referring to neoprene lined Muckboots which do not cost 3 figures. I think I paid about £50 for mine.

Think my Muck boots cost about £70 if memory serves me right.

Really warm and obviously waterproof so good for getting in the water and snow.

They're no substitute for a walking boot though or Para boots that the OP wears - horses for courses.

I've a pair of 'heat holders' which work well. To be honest they're a bit too toasty if I wear them with my neoprene Muck boots in anything but snow and ice. They're thick though so not really suited to footware sized for a thin sock if that makes sense.

I've just boght a pair of those "heat holders" today and they seem brilliant so far. Not sure how well they are going to hold up in the wash though because of the fluff inside, still wearing them from earlier.

I bought a pair of Aigle boots. The uneducated call them wellies, but they're not. Neoprene lined and toasty as hell. No special socks needed. Only drawback is that they cost 3 figures. But you can stand in water all day and be dry and warm. They also have a proper boot sole, not the welly type so you can walk just about anywhere in them.
I'm taking them to Iceland as my main outdoor footwear.
Are they any good for Aldi and LIDL as well?

thanks for the heads up time to get mine out of the garage ,forgot i had them

I suffer greatly with cold hands and feet. I found a few things that help. Socks I like thick wool sock of a fine thread. I got some cheap Jeep ones for xmas that work great. If your feet are going to get wet try a set of sealskinz socks. The key is your socks and boots can NOT be to tight. As soon as your start wearing tight footwear you will be in trouble. But also don't forget about your legs. Get your self some fleecy leggings. They still breath but will keep your legs warm. If your legs get cold you have no hope in having warm feet.

Back