Critique They're back!!

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok just to wind up @Tintin124 here's a Dicyrtomina I found a couple of nights ago. He's been desperate to find one for as long as I've known him ;) These will soon be out in force and I usually find them under large fallen leaves, in damp conditions. This one was in the local valley but I also find similar species in my back garden. They are pretty ubiquitous so keep looking Bryn ;)

This one is a young male:
First Dicyrtomina of the season by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

The abdominal markings help identify the species, in this case Dicyrtomina saundersi:
First Dicyrtomina of the season by Tim.Garlick, on Flick

The mottled pattern and whit socks, show it is about to moult (the "feet" have withdrawn slightly into the legs:
First Dicyrtomina of the season by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

I also found another species of springtail, this time with a more elongate body form, although complimentary colours. This is Isotomurus plumosus, and a new one for my collection (although no doubt I have seen them before, just not captured):
Isotomurus plumosus by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

The last two shots are 2 image stacks, the rest are all single images, all shot at ~7X magnification (MP-E fully extended + 1.4X extender)

BARSTEWARD.... lol :p:p:p:p

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Brilliant love the ASS shot even though its a little oof#2 Globbies are so amazing. But that Isotomurus plumosus is awesome too it would be nice to find some different ones now.

If its not a crop I think when at full magnification you are not getting sharp focus (looking a little soft) eg #5 compared to #6 which looks Tack sharp to me. But looking at #1 would guess that is 7x mag and is Tack sharp so I'm a little confused.

This may be technique and I know this is your EOS-M kit so could easily be that.

Great set and my desperation continues... :cautious:

Edit ---- Must remember to try the 1.4x TC on the reversed lens setup.

BARSTEWARD.... lol :p:p:p:p

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Brilliant love the ASS shot even though its a little oof#2 Globbies are so amazing. But that Isotomurus plumosus is awesome too it would be nice to find some different ones now.

If its not a crop I think when at full magnification you are not getting sharp focus (looking a little soft) eg #5 compared to #6 which looks Tack sharp to me. But looking at #1 would guess that is 7x mag and is Tack sharp so I'm a little confused.

This may be technique and I know this is your EOS-M kit so could easily be that.

Great set and my desperation continues... :cautious:

Edit ---- Must remember to try the 1.4x TC on the reversed lens setup.
Cheers Bryn, I agree. #5 is a crop (compare the scale size with #6 that isn't cropped) but I also think that focus is overshot past the eyes a little, so probably is more of a reason for the softness you are seeing. With some of these (especially the rear pattern shot of the Dicyrtomina) I just want to capture the key features, so I don't mind if they aren't perfect. In this instance I wanted to show the clean line running along it's back, which helps with species ID - although I will still try and make them look their best (hence a crop for composition).

I would have liked to flag these ID images as private on flickr and just link to them for reference, so they don't appear in my stream, but i can't figure out how to do this yet still enable people to view full size. Ideally, of course they would all be perfect, but i'm not that good ;)

My personal picks would be #3 and #6, the others are more ID shots as far as I'm concerned, apart from #4 where I liked the colour contrast with the leaf, despite not getting the subject from the best angle.

I am jealous, Tim!!! I always want to find them too, tho I am not as desperate as @Tintin124 :p
Don't worry Icy, they'll be load around over the next few months :)

Last edited:
Excellent Globby shots :)

They are minuscule ! Cool shots. Plenty of leaves around my way so will have to get some scruffs on and get on the ground to see I can find any. Might just be a bit paranoid of what crawls up my legs though :confused:

Cheers fellas!

They are minuscule ! Cool shots. Plenty of leaves around my way so will have to get some scruffs on and get on the ground to see I can find any. Might just be a bit paranoid of what crawls up my legs though :confused:

Yep, time to get down and dirty I'm afraid ;)

Lovely shots Tim as usual. Been out looking in the garden today in the usual D.saundersii and D.ornata spots, to no avail. They usually appear on wooden fences, benches etc, especially those that are in damper spots. They graze on the algaes etc that form and as soon as the temperatures drop a little more and it stays damp for a bit longer they'll be along in force.

You will find some soon, Bryn have no fear!

Wonderful shots Tim, amazing extreme closeups
I'm always impressed by the high mag shots you guys are doing

Back