Thinking of a DSLR

lawrie29

Balloons! Yay!
Name
Lawrie
Edit My Images
Yes
I have the Fuji bridge - s9600, which I realy enjoy, however, I feel that I \m missing something with not having a DSLR, but don't have much cash (none if the other half decides..)

So I am looking second hand, and have come across the 300d and the 10d. Both appear to have similar specifications at first glance, 6.3mp similar ISO (I think if I recall correctly).

I would guess that the 10d is the better product, being from the XXD range rather than the XXXd range, but would like some input.

A used 300d with kit lens is about £130, althought the only 10d I can find is MPB Photographic and is £170 with 3 batteries and no lens.

Anyhoo, for someone who has not had a DSLR before, will the 10d give me much more than the 300d?

Which is easier for a beginner?

I would probably get a nifty with the 10d, which I know will not be the easiest to use, but I have to start somewhere....better than a cheap kit lens used???

The xxD's are heaver made of titanium the 300D is more plastic BUT there is nothing wrong in that I have used one for years and won Cups at my clubs with it in fact it is sat on my shelf now with a 18-55mm lens and a tamrom 80-210mm was using it up till a few mths back. Make a sensible offer and it’s yours.
look at my flickr see some shots

I would personally go for the 10D as the controls on it will lead you nicely into the later versions should you decide to update in the future. The 10D is also a little more flexible and you'll have the chance to learn a little more on the way.

Bob

Edit...the reply was in process before Chaz made his offer of a 300D...sorry Chaz

I started with a 300D and kit lens and within 6 months of me having it, a photo I took with it was published on the front cover of a supplement for a national magazine. It can do very well indeed, it's just a little slow.

Not that that means anything really ;-) It is still a great camera and I donated it to my little sister.

If I went back to when I first got into photography, I probably would have got the 10D instead of the 300D.

The lenses are Ok, you could do much better than both for not a huge amount of cash though. The 75-300mm is pretty soft (at least the one I had was). If I had to choose between a 10D and a 300D I would pick the 10D every time.

Shell, thanks for the PM, but you have your PM's turned off so can't reply.

I would keep the S9600 even if I did get a DSLR as I use the video (hisssssss) function on it. thanks anyway

You are doing the right thing buying second hand. Most of my lenses are second hand and all are great.

Personally I would recommend the 10D given the prices you quote, although you will need to find a lens. Pick up a kit lens (Plenty for <£30) to start with.

Lawrie

What do you feel youre missing with the Fuji?

I feel a bit limited with low light shots, hence the 10d + a nifty for indoors as I tend to shoot people, family etc. the most. I do have a flashgun, bt that is a bit hit and miss as the fuji specific one for the camera is way out of budget.

I think I would also like to have a few more FPS and also a quicker autofocus, as the s9600 can be slow and a bit hit and miss.

THanks for everyones help.

20D can be quite cheap now (under £200 if you look around). After Canon releases 60D you may expect another price drop. I wouldn't buy that old rebel as they are not built to last as long and 300D had some bad build quality issues.

I started out with a 300D and liked it a lot, but it is slow to start up and has a fairly small buffer, which may be an issue depending on what sort of stuff you shoot. I never had a 10D but I gather it has better build quality than the 300D which may be worth paying for. If you do go for a DSLR then have a good look around before buying, I have recently seen a 350D (a nicer camera to use than the 300D) with kit lens go for £160 and a 20D with kit lens for £150.

Beware, it's a slippery slope. I upgraded from a fuji s7000 early this year to a canon 450d. I love the DSLR, I really do, but the fuji was an all-in one kit. with the Canon I have spent way more than can be considered sane on lenses.

Out of curiosity, why do you only mention Canon? They do make good cameras don't get me wrong, but I'm sure there's plenty more from other makers that are within your budget.

I have handled a few different models and the canons felt nicer. But then in my heart for a long time I have always wanted a canon, not a nikon or a sony. I have no idea why, some irrational reason.....suppose I should consider other brands......

I have handled a few different models and the canons felt nicer. But then in my heart for a long time I have always wanted a canon, not a nikon or a sony. I have no idea why, some irrational reason.....suppose I should consider other brands......

I think they are all good brands and you could deliberate over them for literally years without coming to a definitive conclusion over which is best for you - if you want a canon get a canon, even if it is for a mildly irrational reason! ;)

I have handled a few different models and the canons felt nicer.

I have no idea why, some irrational reason.....suppose I should consider other brands......

If it feels nicer to hold you'll probaly get on better with it. That's not irrational.

Back