Captive Thought I'd better see if the neglected soft-box worked ok

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
So I bought a soft-box 8 months ago............and forgot I bought it - still pristine in its packing in the garage!! Terrible state of affairs!!

Found it by mistake tonight so gave it a quick trial run with my sb900.

First one, shot of my eldest before bed

Bedtime 2 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Second one, same again

Bedtime 3 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Third one, same again but using the manual focus Samyang 85 f1.4

Bedtime by Sir SR, on Flickr

And I then put the D800 on a tripod and gave my youngest a trigger......

Selfie!! by Sir SR, on Flickr

Glad I found it - will use it properly at some stage (was just guessing manual flash power - forgot about the light meter I had - next time!)

Thanks for looking

Shaheed

Last edited:
Yeah! But smaller than the 120 octa and it's an umbrella design with inner diffuser so it's quick to put up/down!

Seems to work ok with the sb900!

I think these are simply fantastic Shaheed.
From what appears to be a simple setup you have achieved lovely results.
I know we shouldn't comment on the models but your little models are just lovely, their spirit and sense of fun really shine through in these.

We're you using the flash with rogue flash bender as a fill light too?

Iain

I think these are simply fantastic Shaheed.
From what appears to be a simple setup you have achieved lovely results.
I know we shouldn't comment on the models but your little models are just lovely, their spirit and sense of fun really shine through in these.

We're you using the flash with rogue flash bender as a fill light too?

Iain

Hi.

Thanks for taking the time to look/comment.

The flash bender was being used for a bit of fill. My kids are very cheeky but they were excited as they got to have a go using the camera/trigger!

It was a very simple set up, quick to put up and more importantly, away when the wife came home.

S

Just a few more examples of this guys talent

Lovely photogenic kids and a great portrait photographer :cool:

Cheers Tony!

I'd so love to have some studio space but until the lottery is won, its the plain wall in the bedroom!!

Nice shots. Plain wall seems to be doing the job. I just wonder if there is scope for a roller blind to be put up for a change of background?

Nice shots. Plain wall seems to be doing the job. I just wonder if there is scope for a roller blind to be put up for a change of background?

To be honest, I've got some vinyl in the garage but it's big and takes a little while to set up. I have a pop up background which I'll occasionally use.

I like using this particular wall as it's quick and simple - means the kids aren't too bored waiting, and it's less to clear away at the end!

Last edited:
right, this is what amazes me. There are so many (me included in my early days) that think this type of shot requires a studio with a fancy light set up.....

Yet we can clearly see that it doesnt. It just needs imagination, practice and skill (photography and editing) and dedication. It is a fantastic example of what can be created by a skilled photographer.

beutiful shots, colours and editing....the first one for me is wonderfull. The background colour against the clothes coupled with the little girls pose is cracking. I would blow that up and have that on the wall if it were mine.

The only thing..and this is something i have read and NOT what im good at so dont think im critiqueing, is the double catch light. Might be worth removing the smaller lower catch light.I wish my little buggers would stay still long enough for this type of thing..!!!!

What size is that sofbox out of interest.

Last edited:
right, this is what amazes me. There are so many (me included in my early days) that think this type of shot requires a studio with a fancy light set up.....

Yet we can clearly see that it doesnt. It just needs imagination, practice and skill (photography and editing) and dedication. It is a fantastic example of what can be created by a skilled photographer.

beutiful shots, colours and editing....the first one for me is wonderfull. The background colour against the clothes coupled with the little girls pose is cracking. I would blow that up and have that on the wall if it were mine.

The only thing..and this is something i have read and NOT what im good at so dont think im critiqueing, is the double catch light. Might be worth removing the smaller lower catch light.I wish my little buggers would stay still long enough for this type of thing..!!!!

What size is that sofbox out of interest.

Hi

thanks for commenting, very kind words (too kind really!)

I think its a 60 x 90 softbox from bessel http://www.bessel.co.uk/acatalog/60cm-x-90cm-Speedbox-S-Fit-5060339961507.html#SID=22 (i'm still a little embarrassed to have forgotten/neglected it for so long!).

Please don't apologise for crit - I'd still be crap if it wasn't for helpful crit.........and this is the crit section. I usually put it at the end of my posts but haven't in my last few - "all crit/comments general musing welcomed and encouraged" - but it still applies

I know what you mean about the double catchlight - in fact I cloned the little one of some of the pics on the computer but not these ones I'd put up!

We haven't decided on pics to put up on the wall yet - waiting for the holy grail of one of the two of them together!! Also we might be redecorating soon so will wait for those. Almost certainly will get a copy to the grandparents though!

Thanks again for your kind words

Shaheed

I have no issue with double catch lights.

Thats a great shot mate.

She's a great, natural poser and you are lucky in having "models" in your family who dont seem to tire from having their photos taken

You should see the aggro trying to get a picture with mine.

Proper "Kevin & Perry" attitude lol

Thats a great shot mate.

She's a great, natural poser and you are lucky in having "models" in your family who dont seem to tire from having their photos taken

You should see the aggro trying to get a picture with mine.

Proper "Kevin & Perry" attitude lol

Cheers Tony - Sophia posed for me because she wanted to take a pic of me - put the d800 on a tripod and she took a pic

Sophia's Portrait of Daddy by Sir SR, on Flickr

Jessica was excited by triggering the camera herself so after I took a couple of her, I gave her a trigger and she had fun! The result is in the first post titled Selfie!

I tried to make it less boring for them and let them see the results.

Shaheed

Works a treat mate. No get it outside for some ocf work..

I'm on the fence with them - I have a triflector which gives that unique set of catch lights. I've just uploaded one with it removed now!!

I love my Triflector... love all the catchlights, make the eyes sparkle! Only good for women though, and they not to great for fuller faced ladies.

So the eldest wanted another pic tonight - scared me a little as she suddenly looks very grown up and not so much a little girl!! Same set up as yesterday!

Dotty by Sir SR, on Flickr

Ta

S

Back