Three lenses to take travelling for 7 months - what would you take?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, this is pretty much an unanswerable question but thought it would be interesting to discuss. IT will vary I guess depending on what your preferences of photography are but interested to hear thoughts, especially from those who have travelled with camera gear over a long period of time.

In an ideal world I'd probably buy a lovely m43 system but its not really an option money wise as I need to keep my SLR. I want to travel as light as possible and unfortunately a lump of my weight will be the camera gear.
I'm mainly into landscape photography though it would be nice to try some street / maybe portraits. Heading to india, asia, nz, usa, iceland
I'm thinking of taking the following:

Lumix LX7 - for more discreet situations where I don't feel happy with SLR out, will nearly always be on me and is a very capable little camera.
5D mkII - might upgrade to 6d before I go depending on what I save
16-35 F4IS - will be on the camera most of the time, excellent for landscapes / street
50mm f1.8 - weighs nothing, and fun for night / portraits / etc
tameron 70-300 VC - for pretty much anything else, I quite like taking landscapes with teles. I bought this to take over my canon 70-200f4 due to less conspicuous colour and worth less so happier to leave in backpack and reasonable image quality for price

I've considered taking my 85mm f1.8 prime instead of 70-300 and 50 but I think I've decided on the above - what are your thoughts?
I was also going to take this tripod which I have to say is plain awesome (http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/velbon-ultrek-ut-43d-tripod-review) but at 1.5 kg thinking of taking a much lighter mini one so if I want to do some long exposure shots I can still do so. I'm planning on backing up my photos etc using my galaxy note3 and hard drive and doing simple raw editing on it until I get back to my mac (again to save weight).

Over a long period I'd want two bodies in case one fails.

I'd take the 5dII/6d and 16-35 50mm and 70-300. Buy a cheap crop body as a spare, 16-35 would work well on that too.

If I had to take one lens, one body I'd take a 24-70f2.8 and FF body

a good shout, thanks for the reply. the 24-70 usually lives on one of my bodies too. If I was limited to one I'd be tempted to do the same though it is a heavy bugger. Good point about a backup body but I can't justify the weight really. Worst case scenario I'd post home and my other posted out somewhere. Realistically I'd be keeping the SLR with 16-35 with me in a day bag or locked up in a safe most of the time so as to not leave too much value in my backpack

Depends what you shoot, I'd find a 16-35 a bit wide but depends on your style. Personally, I'd just take a 24-70 and one body in that case. Its wide enough for most things and just gives a bit more reach but for travel one body/one lens is quite liberating. I am off the Rome and Athens. I am taking a D800 and 24-70F2.8 plus filters/tripod

Alternatively the 16-35 and 50 you could make work.

make history be creative and take an M8 and 35mm or the Fuji X100 or similar ...... one lens one body ..... or one fixed lens, (not zoom) on a body

ST4, like you say can't really go wrong with that range. Have a great trip!

Bill, you are totally right, I've toyed with that idea so many times but can't get passed the idea ill miss some great shots - although i=I realise I will probably get ones I wouldn't have otherwise. It would be great to push my photography somehow and develop further and maybe thats the way to go. I know until someone invents an 8-400 f1 lens you are always going to be limited in some ways and totally appreciate how nice it is shooting prime only, my 85 is my favourite lens normally. I've looked back through my holiday photos in the past to try and figure out what focal lengths I tend to get most keepers at and its the wider end generally hence the 16-35. I might try going out for a day with the lens locked to 35mm see how I find it.

Reactions: ST4

Bill, you are totally right, I've toyed with that idea so many times but can't get passed the idea ill miss some great shots - although i=I realise I will probably get ones I wouldn't have otherwise. It would be great to push my photography somehow and develop further and maybe thats the way to go. I know until someone invents an 8-400 f1 lens you are always going to be limited in some ways and totally appreciate how nice it is shooting prime only, my 85 is my favourite lens normally. I've looked back through my holiday photos in the past to try and figure out what focal lengths I tend to get most keepers at and its the wider end generally hence the 16-35. I might try going out for a day with the lens locked to 35mm see how I find it.

Don't. Use a zoom to your advantage, let the gear you have work for you, not against you. If you shoot these wide angles, use it. Only you know the answer to the question. Enjoy the travel, to say I am jealous is an understatement.

Don't. Use a zoom to your advantage, let the gear you have work for you, not against you. If you shoot these wide angles, use it. Only you know the answer to the question. Enjoy the travel, to say I am jealous is an understatement.
cheers :) Yeah I've been able to wangle a career break so I'm really excited just a case of saving like mad now.

Three lenses I take everywhere 17-40. 24-70 and 70-200 maybe with a2x teleconverter. Could manage very well with just the 24-70 and 2x though

cheers :) Yeah I've been able to wangle a career break so I'm really excited just a case of saving like mad now.

I was planning a similar thing in a few years. I'd take a loan of around £8k and go to the US/Canada/Alaska/Iceland in spring/summer. I'd pack a ziess 21mm, D800/D610 and 24-70 plus filters and maybe my new 70-210mm. Big kit bag but you want to ensure you have the compositional freedom and optical quality to work with the subject matter and light.

You won't miss it ……. it should inspire you ….. just do a little research on others who have done that … it could be a unique photographic experience if you are brave

The RD1 would also be good ……… I prefer my 28mm Zeiss on my M8 to most things …… even though the M8 is really only good for ISO 160/320, you can shot hand held at any shutter speed ……….I think I'd do that ……. maybe regret it for the first week then realise that it is so small, handy and thought provoking that you would become hooked on it. Take a load of stuff with a DSLR and unless your are travelling a 4 star levels will become a bind

Low MP's so onto a small device easily …….. RF in B & W is always attractive and different …….. not too noticeable so far more acceptable in "social" situations ……… you will come back with some great images

You can always take the LX7, Canon S100 or super zoom similar with you as well ……. great back up or for different type use

The above would hardly take up any space

Last edited:
You won't miss it ……. it should inspire you ….. just do a little research on others who have done that … it could be a unique photographic experience if you are brave

The RD1 would also be good ……… I prefer my 28mm Zeiss on my M8 to most things …… even though the M8 is really only good for ISO 160, you can shot hand held at any shutter speed ……….I think I'd do that ……. maybe regret it for the first week then realise that it is so small, handy and thought provoking that you would become hooked on it. Take a load of stuff with a DSLR and unless your are travelling a 4 star levels will become a bind

Low MP's so onto a small device easily …….. RF in B & W is always attractive and different …….. not too noticeable so far more acceptable in "social" situations ……… you will come back with some great images
have to say thats my concern, theres no point in bringing all the kit if you don't have it on you when you are presented with a shot. I'll be backpacking so travelling light is key. The idea of taking the 50 along is that I could potentially just take that out of a day.

I was planning a similar thing in a few years. I'd take a loan of around £8k and go to the US/Canada/Alaska/Iceland in spring/summer. I'd pack a ziess 21mm, D800/D610 and 24-70 plus filters and maybe my new 70-210mm. Big kit bag but you want to ensure you have the compositional freedom and optical quality to work with the subject matter and light.
do it, it seems so hard to do until you decide to

still too big and bulky for a "back packer" - plus charger and batteries etc., remember
indeed, maybe that is what I need to accept. I'm just looking at some shots from my 70-300 and wondering if I really need this, maybe I'll ditch it. tempting to switch the 50 and that for the 85

Last edited:
This would be hard to beat for versatility and size...

Fuji X-T1 (+ maybe an X-E2 backup)
Fuji 14mm 2.8
Fuji 23mm 1.4
Fuji 56mm 1.2

However if I had the space I would take my existing kit quite happily...

Sony a7
Sigma 35mm 1.4
Zeiss 135mm 1.8

This would be hard to beat for versatility and size...

Fuji X-T1 (+ maybe an X-E2 backup)
Fuji 14mm 2.8
Fuji 23mm 1.4
Fuji 56mm 1.2

However if I had the space I would take my existing kit quite happily...

Sony a7
Sigma 35mm 1.4
Zeiss 135mm 1.8

I couldn't agree more about the fuji setup, I think their stuff looks amazing and love the form factor. Interesting you'd take a 135, any particular reason? I've got an 85 and 135 and wasn't sure which one would be more useful.

Hardly on the same scale, but I spent three weeks touring New Zealand's south island in 2007 - a very dusty place! I wanted to shoot landscapes, general tourist stuff and wildlife so took my 30D and 40D plus 10-22, 17-55 and 100-400. I think I may have taken my 50/1.8, but did not use it once. The 17-55 I used only a handful of times out of over 2,000 shots. Basically I could have made do with just the ultra wide and the long lens, and with one body for each it meant no need for swapping lenses, no dust concerns and each camera set up to suit the lens on it without having to keep reconfiguring settings with every lens change.

Obviously everyone has their own needs and wants, but if I had to do it again, with the kit I have today, it would probably be my 5D2 and 24-70/2.8 with 5D3 and 100-400. That's the lightest I would want to go whilst still covering all the bases and having a modicum of backup.

As good as a single body and prime lens might be for some things I wouldn't want to restrict myself so much for such a journey. It's fine for a day out, perhaps, but not for months of photography if you have diverse tastes.

Hardly on the same scale, but I spent three weeks touring New Zealand's south island in 2007 - a very dusty place! I wanted to shoot landscapes, general tourist stuff and wildlife so took my 30D and 40D plus 10-22, 17-55 and 100-400. I think I may have taken my 50/1.8, but did not use it once. The 17-55 I used only a handful of times out of over 2,000 shots. Basically I could have made do with just the ultra wide and the long lens, and with one body for each it meant no need for swapping lenses, no dust concerns and each camera set up to suit the lens on it without having to keep reconfiguring settings with every lens change.

Obviously everyone has their own needs and wants, but if I had to do it again, with the kit I have today, it would probably be my 5D2 and 24-70/2.8 with 5D3 and 100-400. That's the lightest I would want to go whilst still covering all the bases and having a modicum of backup.

As good as a single body and prime lens might be for some things I wouldn't want to restrict myself so much for such a journey. It's fine for a day out, perhaps, but not for months of photography if you have diverse tastes.
new zealand is a part of the trip I'm most looking forward to get stuck in on. I think the tele might be right back in the bag

I'd take my A7 and manual lenses, 24 or 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f2 and I'd also take my GX7 and probably 20mm f1.7 and maybe also my G1 and 25mm and 45mm f1.8.

I might even settle on my G1 with 14-42mm for good light shooting between ISO 100 and 400 where IMVHO the image quality is excellent and my GX7 with 20mm f1.7 for low light shooting. If really pushing the boat out I suppose the humble 14-42mm could make way for a 12-35mm f2.8. Maybe two small cameras, one with a standard zoom and the other with a wide aperture prime would be enough.

I've been to Kazakhstan a few times and both the urban areas and interior were wonderful but there just wasn't the opportunity for much picture taking. Ditto Thailand this year. I'd love a dedicated photography trip.

I couldn't agree more about the fuji setup, I think their stuff looks amazing and love the form factor. Interesting you'd take a 135, any particular reason? I've got an 85 and 135 and wasn't sure which one would be more useful.

I had a Fuji setup for my honeymoon (X-E1, 14mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4, 60mm 2.4), really couldn't fault it, such a small, light package but all the controls you could need and great JPEGs out of the camera (important for me as I was transferring to iPad and uploading as we went).

As for the 35/135 combo, the 35 covers 95% of my shooting, so I like having something completely different to compliment it occasionally and I love a telephoto perspective, so the 135 is the lightest/smallest practical option. 85 just isn't enough for me, plus my Zeiss 135 is just unbelievably good and with the a7 can be cropped to the equivalent of 200mm and beyond very comfortably if needs be.

If I was feeling brave I would just take a Sony RX1 and plenty of batteries, super compact but stunning image quality, plus you would get a common feel and perspective across the whole trip, which I think would give a nice feel when viewed as a set.

I had a Fuji setup for my honeymoon (X-E1, 14mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4, 60mm 2.4), really couldn't fault it, such a small, light package but all the controls you could need and great JPEGs out of the camera (important for me as I was transferring to iPad and uploading as we went).

As for the 35/135 combo, the 35 covers 95% of my shooting, so I like having something completely different to compliment it occasionally and I love a telephoto perspective, so the 135 is the lightest/smallest practical option. 85 just isn't enough for me, plus my Zeiss 135 is just unbelievably good and with the a7 can be cropped to the equivalent of 200mm and beyond very comfortably if needs be.

If I was feeling brave I would just take a Sony RX1 and plenty of batteries, super compact but stunning image quality, plus you would get a common feel and perspective across the whole trip, which I think would give a nice feel when viewed as a set.

Sounds like a great setup that Fuji, unfortunately not really an option for me due to financial constraints . RX1 is supposed to be superb. Have to say love my lumix LX7 as a slightly bigger cheaper option.

for backup body you could get a canon film slr that weighs very little?, I'm sure they made cheapo plastic ones. Ofcourse you should be able to just buy another dslr if you somewhere vaguly civilised :)

I loved using a leica, so that is a good pick, really wonderful, canonika really bleh by comparison

I'd suggest sigma dp or ricoh gr too

If it was me? A DSLR , 12-24mm (landscape), 35mm (general) and 85/135mm (portrait/tele). Small, light compact tripod. Less choice, less time required to think about what to use, more time to think about how im going to compose the shot.

Unless this is some photography expedition or project I don't think I wouldn't bring a second body- you have a very good compact cam- that's a good enough backup, failing that you have a smart phone, and depending on location you can just purchase a DSLR from a shop if you are desperate.

The 5D II will be fine, put all your funds into what's important for this trip - transport and accommodation.

If it was me? A DSLR , 12-24mm (landscape), 35mm (general) and 85/135mm (portrait/tele). Small, light compact tripod. Less choice, less time required to think about what to use, more time to think about how im going to compose the shot.

Unless this is some photography expedition or project I don't think I wouldn't bring a second body- you have a very good compact cam- that's a good enough backup, failing that you have a smart phone, and depending on location you can just purchase a DSLR from a shop if you are desperate.

The 5D II will be fine, put all your funds into what's important for this trip - transport and accommodation.
Good advice. My 16-35 covers the first two. Is that an 85 and a 135 or one?

Good advice. My 16-35 covers the first two. Is that an 85 and a 135 or one?

85 or 135, depends on which one I haven't used recently. Well for me, the 16-35 doesn't cover what I need, ultra wide for tight areas and perspective. A 35mm prime as a light , discrete street option. It isn't right or wrong, it's a matter of personal preference and knowing what your preferred focal lengths and shooting style.

What about a travel lens like the tamrons, it means spending cash but it could be worth it on a 7 month trip

Whenever i travel (with a 7D) i take my 10-22, 24-105 and my 100-400 in my new F-stop tilopa BC.

Whenever i travel (with a 7D) i take my 10-22, 24-105 and my 100-400 in my new F-stop tilopa BC.
No fast apertures there, but you can hardly complain about focal length coverage. A 40X zoom range with only a tiny gap is not too shabby at all. :)

Its sure as hell not perfect, even as comfy as the Tilopa is, 8+ hours of hiking around Yosemite and it starts to feel real heavy, especially with 4 litres of water and a tripod clipped on.

The only time i've wished for a larger aperture is on the 100-400 when shooting Elk in a relatively thick forrest, i had to bump the Iso to 3200 to be able to shoot handheld at 350mm, which is way out of the 7D's comfort zone. This is why im considering a 5Diii next year and swapping out the 10-22 for a 16-35. I dont think i will have too much of an issue cropping down to gain back the long end of the focal range from the FF over the crop, and any disadvantage will be outweighed by a better high iso performance and the ability to use a faster lens for darker landscape stuff (The 16-35).

Rich

Not on the same scale, but just retureed from a week's intesive safari and although I took several len's used the following
70 ~ 200 f2.8 80%
24 ~ 70 f2.8 15%
16 ~ 35 f2.8 5%

Hope this helps

Back