Time for a change......

Edit My Images
Yes
Well,

It would appear the current financial climate is starting to bite into my line of work. Things are very, very quiet on the posh-house front at the moment. As such, I've now pretty much given up the photography side of my job, it's just no longer financially viable alas. I'm a little bit sad about it, but also a little bit glad too.

I wont rattle on and on for hours about that here but I'm now based mainly in the office working on the CAD side of the business and taking a healthy part in our training operation. More money too :)

The upside of all of this is that I've been given me a bit of a kick up the jacksy with regards to my own photography. I realised a couple of days ago that I haven't been out more than a couple of times shooting stuff for me (landscapes) for about 4 months or so. I've already developed more impetus to go out and do what I love doing in the last fortnight than I've had in the last 12 months!

So where do I go now?

I've had another epiphany of sorts over the last few days. I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with digital as a medium for the kind of photography I enjoy. I'm fed up with seeing the mess of HDR everywhere I look, bland photo's that have been beaten around the head in a desperate attempt to drag something out of them, faddish stuff, shocking mono conversions etc.

I'm just as guilty as anyone of the above so please nobody think that any of this is directed at them. If you'd all seen some of the god-awful stuff I used to post when I first started and some of the trash that's lurking in my albums from when I was younger you'd laugh your eyes out. We all go through phases and we all have to learn. I've never been ashamed of my photos though and neither should anyone who's brave enough to post them up here for peer review!

Ok, so there's plenty of inspirational digital stuff all over the internet and people make great images all the time with nothing more than a 300d and the kit lens. I think, however, I've lost that joyful naivety, that fresh way of looking things that makes somebodies work stand out. I'm in a rut and I need to start thinking about what I'm shooting and what I'm trying to get across with my photographs.

So,

I'm hanging onto my digital stuff for now, I may change my mind, but I don't think so. I'm about to make the leap back to film. More importantly, large format. I've been doing some looking about and the depth of feeling that you get from a negative/transparency and a good print is far beyond anything digital will ever yield I think. I miss that magical feeling that got me into photography in the first place of shooting, developing and printing your own stuff. When digital first came around I loved it and was quite prepared to tell anyone who cared to argue with me that it was the way forward and film would be dead very shortly. IDIOT.

It's going to be a long and windy road as I think I'm going to have to re-learn everything about making a decent shot but I'm up for the challenge.

Anyway, I've rambled on for long enough now and probably sound like a complete pompous ass but 'meh' I've found my passion again so nerrrrrr!

I'm off to try and find a cheap Tachihara or Shen Hao, a 90mm lens and a few darkslides. ;)

Hi... I'm a relative newbie to photography (at my late age!). There's so much to learn, and with digital for many it's far too easy to just snap away without any thought going into the image creation/creativity.

I've heard of a few folks recently that have been into photography as a profession for many years that are now hanging up their gear (or ebaying it) to get back to the roots; so no, you don't sound pompous at all ;)

It's also quite startling that people are now buying a dslr thinking that they are going to walk into freelancing and making a shed load!

I just wish my day job gave me some hours in the day to enjoy my photography!

Art for art's sake :)

May as well sell your DSLR gear as it will be worthless by the time you get back to it. I think I have a spare fiver somewhere that I can give and will help you convert your gear into your next meal............:naughty:

:D

It's great to hear of someone rediscovering their passion. Have fun.

A fiver!

I could eat for a week on that! (or drive to work for one day and have half an hours parking!)

I will sell the digi kit but I'm gonna wait a month or so til I'm sure about things. And then I'm going to get something small and pocketable digi wise to use as an aide memoire for locations and just for snapping really.

Well dude, I have to say that I'm not sure it's a great idea. Or that you've really thought it through well enough yet.

Personally, I'd go for a 120mm. ;)(y)

:wave:

glad to hear your getting out and about again mate...(y)

good luck with the film side of things..

personally i could not afford to go that way...:crying:

hope you will still post on here ...(y)

md(y)

Well dude, I have to say that I'm not sure it's a great idea. Or that you've really thought it through well enough yet.

Personally, I'd go for a 120mm. ;)(y)

Nah, 68mm & 90mm and crop away off a 5x4 neg!

Some of this is at least partly your fault. If I hadn't started playing with that damn MF gear in your studio lol.

:wave:

glad to hear your getting out and about again mate...(y)

good luck with the film side of things..

personally i could not afford to go that way...:crying:

hope you will still post on here ...(y)

md(y)

Not Overly expensive to be honest. Most of the people I've spoken to about all of this reckon because of the amount of time setting up, composing, focussing, mucking about with darkslides, reciprocity factors etc etc their shoot rate goes down form about 200 shots on digital to maybe 2 or 3 shots. However, because they've invested that much effort in each exposure their hit rate goes up in a similar style.

I figure that b&w to start with will only work out at about £2.00 or less every time I press the shutter, including developing if I do it myself. A basic 5x4 camera can be had for around £350, plenty of cheap, good old lenses around etc.

I've got some film experience so my catastrophe rate should be relativel low to start off with too ;)

Some of this is at least partly your fault.

Well I'm very glad to hear it. :D:D

Joking about lens numbers aside, you wont be wanting to crop for long I don't think. Lots of the shear joy about working with LF is seeing your vision there on the neg/tranny when it hits the light box.

It's a great idea and the ways of LF will really suit your style.

Looking forward to seeing what you produce, should you wish to share.

Gary.

If you want a real challenge and excitement,why not get a Holga :D:D. If nothing else it will definitely beat the credit crunch :woot:

Dont be too quick to sell your Digi kit, I cant afford it yet

Good luck whichever way you go (y)

I do feel the DSLR has ba.stardised the art of photography somewhat, but it was going to happen wasn't it? I agree with your comments about film shooting, it is a lot more intimate, tangiable and rewarding process. The jump from 35mm digital to LF is a big one though, but hey, just follow your gut instinct, that's where the most fun lies.

People say this, people say that...

Do what makes you happy, that's what I say! And best of luck with whatever it is!!

I would love to go back to shooting film but I doubt that I could afford it now,I was out and about on Wednesday and took the equivalent of 7 rolls of film and all it cost me was the recharge for the batteries.
I totally agree with the comments about HDR as it is really becoming a pain,anyhow the way I keep fresh is every so often take out my old M42 lenses with an adaptor to fit the 350D,stick the camera on manual and use a hand held meter to get the exposure.It makes you really slow down and I have been really pleased with results.You do however get some very strange looks from youngsters who would not know a Weston if it stood up and hit them.

Back