Time for a Macro Thread. Post your Macro shots here.

Mmmmmm..:thinking:

What the hell is this on my sofa.. Me thinking it could be a moth but not sure..:help:

moth-head.jpg

mothy.jpg

gotta get me a macro lens :bang:

I wanna join in!

Dude, get some extension tubes. Tis all you need.

Taken this afternoon with the D200 and Sigma 180mm macro.

CBG_0029.jpg

Hi,

These are my first attempts with some cheapo tubes I got off ebay for £8 :) The DOF with these things seems to be tiny so I was trying to use stop the lens down to get a better DOF, consequently I had to shoot at ISO 1600 and the images are noisy. All were taken with my cheap 28-105 attached to the tubes, they aren't up to the standard of the other images on here, but for the price I can't complain.

Any tips/tutorials on how to use these tubes properly ? trying to get things in focus is a nightmare, and how do I calculate what ratio I'm getting with these things ?

A bee
A-bee.jpg

Another bee
Another-bee.jpg

A hover fly
Hover-Fly.jpg

Not bad for £8 at all :)

If the ratio is important to you take a shot of a ruler and work it out:)

As to tips - DOF and focus are just as you described. I found it much easier using a 70-200 lens as you can move to approx focus with the tripod then fine focus with the zoom action. If it is Canon you are using set the lens to f8 or f11 using the dof preview button trick before putting it on the tubes (fit lens normally, set camera to f8, press dof preview button and hold it down whilst removing lens). Oh and flash will help too.

I hate you lot with your fancy macro lenses and where do you get all these bluddy bugs from???? I not talking to you lot any more!!!:cautious: :sulk: :coat:

And here is a fly enjoying his lunch

100crop_007.jpg
[/QUOTE]

the fly is just perfectly nasty, id love to see a crop of the eye and the green body and hairs, eugh creapy:puke: :puke:

Hi - I love looking at all the professional macro stuff here :puke: - I'm sure I'll get round to buying some expensive kit eventually :shake: - I got some cheap close up lenses & heres a test with all three on my 50mm f1.8 - I don't think its too bad for under £20 (?)

seiko_50mm_plus_close_up_1_2_4_small.jpg
[/IMG]

Paul (y)
BTW the image is maaheesiive in original size on my Flickr :wacky: here

PaulBoy said:
Hi - I love looking at all the professional macro stuff here I'm sure I'll get round to buying some expensive kit eventually

You still have some detail in there for a 50mm cheapo lens Paul.:)

busterboy said:
You still have some detail in there for a 50mm cheapo lens Paul.:)
busterboy thanks - yeah don't get me wrong I'm well impressed I just wish it was as easy getting a bug or butterfly to stay as still as my broken wris****ch! :LOL:
Paul

mrgubby said:
OT.

Did you star that out or was it a forum filter:thinking:
Would have been the filter....fill the missing letters ****

Some sort of hairy catterpiller but who knows what...:shrug:

Check out those eyebrows..:LOL:

Catterpiller=50001.JPG

Catterpiller=60001.JPG

catterpiller=1.JPG

KenCo1964 said:
Would have been the filter....fill the missing letters ****
... What he said - never crossed my mind tbh ...
busterboy WOW! The original "hairy beastie" - Paul (y)

Would I dare post these up? :cautious: Oh well, might as well! My first macros! :D (If they can be considered that :shrug:).

Just the 350D with kit lens. :puke:

Edit: ok, maybe it's not macro - just a close crop. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

bee1.jpg

bee2.jpg

The tiny screw that fastens the side cover on your computer.:)

macro-screw.jpg

busterboy said:
The tiny screw that fastens the side cover on your computer.:)

I recognised it before I read the title , must get out more :shake:

busterboy said:
Wow.. I take it that is frost on the leaves..:)

It looks like jewellery glittering there, Very good..:clap:

Only just noticed this - cheers!

Yeah, it is... I used my Sigma 50mm macro. Nice lens, although the working distance for 1:1 is v. close

I use it all the time, but rarely as a macro - I was gutted not being able to do anywhere-near macro with my first lens, but then when I got a macro lens I never really bothered with it! :shrug:

100crop_007.jpg
[/QUOTE]

that one of the fly enjoying lunch is a superb shot hacker, may i ask what lens you used (y)

I used the Sigma 180mm macro, bit of a heavy beast but a cracking lens.

Dunno what this critter is.. A spider of some description but who knows..:shrug:

spider=1.jpg

More macro samples. You only get better with practice..:p

macro-pencil.jpg

macro-watch.jpg

Back