Timelapse

Name
Gabriel
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this is the wrong section but here's my first timelapse video.

I know about the typo at the start which I've left for reasons you can figure out :D

I had to shoot it inside because it said it would rain (it didn't :tumbleweed: ) so sorry about the reflection.

My settings were:
Full manual
1600 shots
4 second intervals
22 aperture
1 or 1/4 shutter speed

Equipment and software is listed at the end.

I'd love feedback but please go easy since it's my first time

Thanks

Something I want to do but havent. I would say you need nd filters though to balance the shots

How would that work? How would you know which one to fit? How would you know WHEN to fit them? Besides, the light and dark is just the clouds moving over the sun, and trying to remove this would make it look unnatural. You could achieve the same effect by just using auto exposure to keep the levels constant, and trust me... it looks crap.. far worse than letting it just happen naturally.

It's best to just shoot n a day that's not got so much contrast in the lighting.

Shooting into the light hasn't helped much either. Timings and editing seem OK though. Perhaps shoot more frames closer together, as it seems a bit choppy.

Last edited:
Nice first try. What FPS did you set the final video to? On a day like that personally I would have stuck to around 2second intervals. If it's a very slow windy day I'll use 4second intervals.

Add an nd grad to brighten up the forground.. sorry I dont see whats so hard about that. You dont have to know which accurately as any is better than nothing

Because if you add an ND to brighten up the foreground during the darker parts of the sequence, it will be over exposed during the lighter parts when there's direct sunlight on the ground. You'd have to sit there manually adding, and removing the ND grad, and as the transitions are not on/off, but smooth as the clouds pass over the sun, the effect would be horrendous flicker far worse than he has now..

@Littlemonkey photos
However, there IS a need for a ND sometimes, and that's to use as long a shutter speed as possible. If you induce a little motion blur in the stills, the playback is smoother. Also, not sure on the time between frames you've used, but I find 20 second between shots, and using a slow enough speed to induce a little blur helps a great deal, so rather than a ND grad, use a 4 stop or greater ND on sunny days so you can get slower speeds.

Here's what 20 seconds intervals looks like when played back at 24fps.

Here's a single frame so you can see the blur induced into each frame.

ozKpl0U.jpg

If you can't use a slow speed due to bright conditions, then reduce the interval between shots a little more, and render at 30fps.

Last edited:
Back