Tips for shooting at Airshows?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to Farnborough airshow on the 20th with a mate, also into photography and hoping people have some tips as in,

- Capturing high speed aircraft
- Camera Settings ( If any major changes are needed)
- What to shout other than "Im going to be sick!" to get past thick crowds :LOL:

Etc

Many Thanks.

James,

Was at Fairford yesterday in rather "entertaining" conditions and here's what settings I had/use for airshows on my 40D:

TV mode 1/800 (which I slow down to 1/200 or 1/125 for prop planes for some nice blur)
AI Servo Focus Mode
High Speed Burst Mode
Cloudy White Balance
Centre Point Metering
Writing to JPG (keeps more room in the buffer I think)
ISO - 400

Also - practice panning, and take shots mid-way through your 'pan' rather than all the way through. Keep the panning smooth and steady and going from right to left or whichever axis the camera is coming.

Can help in terms of crowds and tips to get them out of the way I'm afraid - perhaps a helpful elbow in the back to encourage them out the way! :bat::bat:

If I've missed anything don't hesitate to ask!!

Matt

If the crowd is a bit deep, put your bag down and in a voice loud to be heard say
"thats funny? It should have gone off by now!!"

If the crowd is a bit deep, put your bag down and in a voice loud to be heard say
"thats funny? It should have gone off by now!!"

:LOL::LOL::LOL::naughty:

Don't try and fight to the front - stand back from the crowd-line (even 10-15m should be enough) Gives you more room, and a better angle methinks.

Fast jets = fast shutter speed. This one was 1/1000 of a second...could have done with being even faster though!

187467344_82b7e760dd.jpg

As mentioned, for spinny things (rotors or props), 1/125 will give you a nice blurring effect

Point yer camera up;)

You're a Nikon user, so shutter priority at about 800-1000s for fast jets, 100-125s for props.
Iso 200-400 usually. Get yourself a bigger lens hired than you have. Or buy a 70-300mm vr. A great lens for the money.
I'd lend you my 200-400mm. But you know how it is....... ;-)
Be warned though, shooting fast aircraft is very addictive. Other area's of your photography will suffer!

Kev.

All the above and take out all the not required kit from your bag to lighten the load, two lenses and cards, plus your batteries should do it...

Was a duxford yesterday and wish I done as above as my back is moaning at me know..

Shutterman

for crowd problems take a ladder ,seems to be the norm,never done it myself though

And dont forget you can get some interesting shots that are not just aircraft whizzing round look in the crown I am sure you will find plenty of unusual opportunities there as well.

Cheers everyone - Yeah, hoping the weather is OK :LOL:

Lens-wise - Biggest I've got is the 55-200mm so that'll have to do. I'll lean forward when shooting :LOL:

Back