Tit with new lens *A few more added*

Looks like a good copy you got yourself there Dave,nice bold colours, nice and sharp. With regards to the head, I may have kept the highlights back just a touch more in PP,but still a pleasing image.

Agree with Rich - whites are a bit cooked and contrast is harsh. That could be the light though..

As for the shot - the bird could do with shifting right a bit and some space to the left.

Agree with Rich - whites are a bit cooked and contrast is harsh. That could be the light though..

As for the shot - the bird could do with shifting right a bit and some space to the left.

It was sunny, but I do have a habit of slightly over-sharpening (to others eyes), and yes agree with more space needed on left. Thanks for the input :)

Last edited:
I would be well pleased also David, love the Blacky and Woody.

thanks for these, yes my favourite is the blackbird (composition wise) as well. Wonder how this lens will compare with the new Canon 100 - 400

Nothing at all wrong with the D300 mate, is this the new version or older version of the lens?

I know these are not on a par with some of the excellent shots in the section of the forum,

Don't be intimidated by the bird forum, we've sadly lost some posters here because they have been ... a good set, with the chaffinch and woody being my favourites.
I had the 80-400 AF some years ago and though a bit slow was very creditable for image quality :)

Thanks again all :)

It's the new version Ade.
Thanks Dave, how do you find the AF speed on the lens?

On a D300 it could well be a very good combo.

Thanks Dave, how do you find the AF speed on the lens?

Rapid! Although I've not tried it on BIF yet, going to give that a go tomorrow if the weather's any good. The VR is impressive to me too as my only other VR telephoto is the Mk.1 70-200. This is much much better.

Don't be intimidated by the bird forum, we've sadly lost some posters here because they have been

....At first I found some of the 'TP bird crew' a bit harsh and very tethered to rules, but I nevertheless listened even when I didn't always agree and I have learnt a lot from them. Furthermore, I have applied some of what I have learnt to other wildlife photography. One thing though, and that is that I usually only post my bird pics here if I'm very pleased with them in some aspect or if I need advice.

I like the woodpecker and the first robin pic best but if I could only choose one it would be the woodpecker shot.

Last edited:
....At first I found the 'TP bird crew' a bit harsh and very tethered to rules, but I nevertheless listened even when I didn't always agree and I have learnt a lot from them. Furthermore, I have applied some of what I have learnt to other wildlife photography. One thing though, and that is that I usually only post my bird pics here if I'm very pleased with them in some aspect or if I need advice.

Glad it's working out well for you ... IMO it's a shame if some are discouraged from posting because of "harsh" remarks :)
What do you do with your images that aren't your best?

Glad it's working out well for you ... IMO it's a shame if some are discouraged from posting because of "harsh" remarks :)
What do you do with your images that aren't your best?

....I have now edited my post to read "some of the 'TP bird crew'..." as not all of them are harsh.

I bin the images which either aren't my best or which don't have a useful value to my learning process. Shooting exclusively large RAW encourages regular clean ups! Of course, some of my 'best' will later be succeeded by better best shots but I'll still keep those. I tend to upload some of my 'best' shots on Flickr and it's interesting to see the fluctuations in my progress, especially as I am now learning a new Canon 7D Mark II.

Back