To part exchange or not to part exchange?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to trade in my Nikon D850 against a Nikon Z9 and am looking for the best place to to a part exchange? Is this the best way to do it (as opposed to just selling it and buying elsewhere)? Any suggestions of dealers who give a decent price?

The only way I would do it would be to sell the D850 privately to maximise the figure recovered. For some reason, they are still fetching silly prices second-hand.

Then you could buy one more cheaply from Panamoz if you're happy buying grey or pay full UK price for the best deal you can find elsewhere. PX deals are never worth it in my experience - it's always win/win for the dealer.

Although it's beyond me why you would sell the best DSLR around and replace it with a seriously overpriced mirrorless. :facepalm:

Last edited:
The only way I would do it would be to sell the D850 privately to maximise the figure recovered. For some reason, they are still fetching silly prices second-hand.

That's the only way I could get my D850, as you just can't seem to find them unless you go 'far east', so there will always be someone like me on the lookout for a good D850. Fortunately, I got myself a great one and totally chuffed with it.

Some dealers though, if you develop a pretty strong relationship with them, do offer very tempting trade-in deals (sometimes trump private deals) but you do have to do some research and have a reality check......as good as a price you might get as a P-ex it's just like changing a car, it's the price difference you pay....

Reactions: Sky

Then you could buy one more cheaply from Panamoz if you're happy buying grey or pay full UK price for the best deal you can find elsewhere. PX deals are never worth it in my experience - it's always win/win for the dealer.

Although it's beyond me why you would sell the best DSLR around and replace it with a seriously overpriced mirrorless. :facepalm:
I would sell it privately for sure but Panamoz is not cheaper for the Z9 and actually a few hundred pounds more than UK, the big difference is they keep getting stock and the UK is hardly getting any, I asked about their pricing and the answer was, GBP has taken a hit and falling this past few weeks and the demand for the Z9 is so high the price is what it is

I am looking to trade in my Nikon D850 against a Nikon Z9 and am looking for the best place to to a part exchange? Is this the best way to do it (as opposed to just selling it and buying elsewhere)? Any suggestions of dealers who give a decent price?
I do not think there is such thing as a dealer who will give the best price, it all depends what condition they think it`s in after looking at it, what their markup is gonna be and so on. I can only assume that the genre you shoot most is landscape going by the very few images you have posted in the group, if that were me then i`d keep the 850 and what you would have spent on the Z9 use against going somewhere really nice with the D850, just a thought ;)

I would sell it privately for sure but Panamoz is not cheaper for the Z9

That surprises me, but as I have less than zero interest in mirrorless stuff anyway it doesn't bother me.

Sorry, Mercurious - that's the first time I've known them to be dearer.

My past purchases from Panamoz have always been considerably cheaper than UK prices and their three year warranty is better than any other. My last purchase from them (couple of Nikon XQD cards) being well over £120.00 (each) cheaper than the UK.

Last edited:
That surprises me, but as I have less than zero interest in mirrorless stuff anyway it doesn't bother me.

Sorry, Mercurious - that's the first time I've known them to be dearer.

My past purchases from Panamoz have always been considerably cheaper than UK prices and their three year warranty is better than any other. My last purchase from them (couple of Nikon XQD cards) being well over £120.00 (each) cheaper than the UK.
Yes its a first for me too, £5680 today for body only and prices have been rising this past few weeks, again I guess mainly due to the weaker £

• Sad
Reactions: Sky

Thanks. Yes, fair point about a private sale. My choice to go mirrorless.

That's the only way I could get my D850, as you just can't seem to find them unless you go 'far east', so there will always be someone like me on the lookout for a good D850. Fortunately, I got myself a great one and totally chuffed with it.

Some dealers though, if you develop a pretty strong relationship with them, do offer very tempting trade-in deals (sometimes trump private deals) but you do have to do some research and have a reality check......as good as a price you might get as a P-ex it's just like changing a car, it's the price difference you pay....
Thanks for your advice.
I do not think there is such thing as a dealer who will give the best price, it all depends what condition they think it`s in after looking at it, what their markup is gonna be and so on. I can only assume that the genre you shoot most is landscape going by the very few images you have posted in the group, if that were me then i`d keep the 850 and what you would have spent on the Z9 use against going somewhere really nice with the D850, just a thought ;)
Thanks for this advice. Am researching deals at the moment.

You could use Ffordes who will sell on a commission basis as well as buy outright and trade-in- very fair and honest.

Back