To VR or not

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys I need a little advice. I shoot a lot of sport images principally my daughters skating which is indoors in poorly lit stadiums. I have a Nikon D90. I am looking to upgrade my lens and get a F2.8 70-200mm version. There is quite a difference in price between a lens that has VR and those that don't, and give that I will be shotting predominately with the lens on a monpod, I was wondering if you think that VR is worth the extra money.

If you are shooting skating, then you will no doubt be needing a higher shutter speed, so this would in theory make VR redundant! :)

I have the Sigma version of the 70-200mm lens (Nikon fit), you are paying a load more cash for the Nikon version just to have VR. I am not saying don't get the Nikon version but before you do compare it with the Sigma first. I try and shoot wildlife and I find the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 is more than adaquate for fast focus, and for extra reach I also have the Sigma 1.4 tele converter which makes the setup work at f4.

I had the same dilemma Nikon or Sigma and came down on the side of Sigma because of cost and not needing VR, if thats any help

This converter will also go on my Nikon 70-300mm lens but it does depend on light conditions as to using manual or auto focus, the rear travel of this lens doesn't foul the converter for those interested.

Realspeed

I had looked at a Sigma lens on TradeMe which was a lot cheaper but at ths stage I did not want to cloud the issue which is why I asked about the VR. Once I have that one sorted then if VR is not the way to go then I will do the Sigma/Nikon comparision.

As purpleclouds says, VR/IS won't help with freezing subject motion.

However I think it's well worth considering on a lens of that focal length if you can afford it and plan to use it for other subjects.

Nikon don't do a 70 - 200mm F2.8 Non VR version and only the VR version. The non VR is the 80 - 200mm AF D F2.8. I think???

Oh by the way if using a Nikon VR lens on a tripod or monopod they advise the VR to be in the"off" position anyway.

hand held camera the VR to be "on" in the normal position

In a car or similar (moving) VR to be "on" in the active position

Realspeed

hey neighbour :wave:

i'm currently driving a Nikon D40 with a 18-200 VR lens and shoot a lot of sports photos ie skateboarding, rugby, soccer and windsurfing so far.

it was interesting when last weekend, i went back to the skateboard park i'd been the weekend before and all the photos taken came out blurred - the previous weekend all images were clear and no settings were changed on the camera.

even though your daughter's skating would be faster whittyp, in my case with either iether outcome, i'm glad i spent spent the extra for the 18-200 VR lens ;)

Sorry for butting in with my comment about there being no non VR 70 - 200mm F2.8. I can see now that you are doing a Sigma Non VR - Nikon VR comparison.

Back