Today's Water Rail

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Had the opportunity of catching a Water Rail today, a very skittish bird happiest in the reed-beds :)

View attachment 26907

A quick appearance and then a run for the exit

A little more settled feeding time

They are brightly coloured birds gramps, but difficult to see - I've never seen one …… but there should be some out here

Attractive shot

They are brightly coloured birds gramps, but difficult to see - I've never seen one …… but there should be some out here

Attractive shot

They are very secretive and skittish Bill, anything sends them running so can disappear on your approach.

Love that one! They're so difficult to catch and move so fast!

Is it my imagination or are there a lot more of them around now than there used to be?

Compared to the video the still shot looks just a little bit over-bright, maybe?

I believe there are at least three within 200 yards of where I spotted this one, there is a larger one in the same place and another small one that I saw today (dashing for the reeds) in another location nearby.

Brightness varied during the morning, occasional sun and mostly cloudy ... the still and both videos were all taken at different times over around 2 hours but of course there was no processing on the videos. :)

I remember now I did see one last year for about 1 sec - the french guy in the hide said "he is there" (rough translation) - then it had gone

Lovely capture,is the video with the Tamron

They are very secretive and skittish Bill, anything sends them running so can disappear on your approach.

I believe there are at least three within 200 yards of where I spotted this one, there is a larger one in the same place and another small one that I saw today (dashing for the reeds) in another location nearby.

Brightness varied during the morning, occasional sun and mostly cloudy ... the still and both videos were all taken at different times over around 2 hours but of course there was no processing on the videos. :)

They seemed to be everywhere when I visited Leighton Moss recently, although I didn't get a decent photograph of one! At the Teifi Marshes near Cardigan I was there at dawn, and could see four at the same time, though that could have been one family. Photos: ditto. It's just an impression I have that they are more numerous at the moment.

Re the processing: the bird looks just a little bit too colourful. They are stunning birds but in a slightly more subtle way than in your picture, I think.

They seemed to be everywhere when I visited Leighton Moss recently, although I didn't get a decent photograph of one! At the Teifi Marshes near Cardigan I was there at dawn, and could see four at the same time, though that could have been one family. Photos: ditto. It's just an impression I have that they are more numerous at the moment.

Re the processing: the bird looks just a little bit too colourful. They are stunning birds but in a slightly more subtle way than in your picture, I think.

In my location anyone visiting asks the same question, "Have you seen the Water Rail?" ... I'm sure there are at least three within 200 yards but I've never seen more than one at the same time ... many people visit and never see it.

Colour? Maybe, though light varies and affects colour accordingly, here's another with direct sunlight and reflection off of the water ... no 'extra' PP, basically standard tweaks to the RAW in ACR and some sharpening in PS.

View attachment 26949

I much prefer your second image in Reply #9. I like the 'over-the-shoulder' glance but I am finding the background too busy - Unusual for me to say that because I'm not a great fan of very plain backgrounds.

Yes Mike, that was with the Tamron ... 1st time I've done any video :)

Without going into detail some one was asking to see video from it do you mind if i link to it for them.

Without going into detail some one was asking to see video from it do you mind if i link to it for them.

No problem at all Mike, but please let them know that it is my very 1st time at any video, let alone with the Tammy so would hate anyone to judge it on the basis of my 1st offering :)

I much prefer your second image in Reply #9. I like the 'over-the-shoulder' glance but I am finding the background too busy - Unusual for me to say that because I'm not a great fan of very plain backgrounds.

Thanks ... I know what you mean ... on the one side of the water there were crows and a squirrel which seemed to bother him and on the other side there was a rat who seriously spooked him twice so I think he was keeping close to an escape route :D

In my location anyone visiting asks the same question, "Have you seen the Water Rail?" ... I'm sure there are at least three within 200 yards but I've never seen more than one at the same time ... many people visit and never see it.

Colour? Maybe, though light varies and affects colour accordingly, here's another with direct sunlight and reflection off of the water ... no 'extra' PP, basically standard tweaks to the RAW in ACR and some sharpening in PS.

View attachment 26949

Just fantastic light, then...... I'm envious, obviously!

Back