Tokina back focus problem

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone

I know that in general terms you get what you pay for so this may just be the answer to my query. But, hopefully someone will have another insight.

The issue is that I bought a used Tokina 28-80 f2.8 from eBay and it works really well. That is until I noticed that it has a problem with back focus. It is the first time I have had this issue with a lens so I've no idea if there is anything that can be done. I have tried the AF tune on my D600 and it helps a bit but doesn't clear the problem completely.

Al advice much appreciated.

Thanks

How have you tested it Gareth, I find the moiré type interference patterns the best, there are many ways to incorrectly test a lens for such problems which can lead to false results.
Assuming its still a problem and you don’t want to/can't send it back to Tokina then sell it back on the bay, it may well work perfectly with a different body (you may be able to test this yourself?).

Thanks lads, I've done a few shallow DoF tests picking a focus point and then seeing where the actual sharp area is. It's always behind the assumed focus point. I first noticed it when shooting some portraits but checked along a line of books. I'll try on a friend's camera and see what it turns out like.
Also, I live in Belfast so I'm rarely passing through London.

Cheers.

I know that in general terms you get what you pay for so this may just be the answer to my query

Not really no.. that would be a refernece to quality not usability.. cheap lens may not be the best picture.. but inability to focus on subject is an actual defect .. plenty of advice above what to do.. but if you only bought recent and your not happy then for me it is a reason to send back and refund....it is a defect...

Did you get this sorted in the end? I've just got a brand new one that definitely has same focus issue. I have a d90 which I'm not sure I can recalibrate the focus with. Manual focus is fine, is just auto that's the problem

Back