TopBanana's 52 - Week 14 'object' now added (on page 5)

I like empty, yes it works and is obvious. Nice highlights on the top of the subject, and excellent overall lighting. I like this type of still life shot against pure white with no shadows but I have yet to try it.

Thanks for the comments. I was surprised how easy a still life with white background is when the subject is this small, so I definitely recommend giving it a go.

Great idea for the 'empty' theme and including a photography subject too. I like how you have managed to take the shot with no shadows. I'm not too sure about the colour though, it looks rather 'gold' ... what did you use for lighting?

As for the white bg, I think you have nailed that one (y)

Only tiny crit, I may have been tempted to remove the camera strap. But I like the bit of dust as it adds to the age :D

Thanks for the feedback Dawn. I agree about the strap, as I was taking the picture it was bothering me so I tried a few with it more prominently in the shot but they didn't work. Unfortunately the way it's attached made me think that I wouldn't be able to get it back on if I took it off so in the end I left it (to the detriment of the photo) :shake:

You're also right about the goldenness, I thought I'd sorted that but now I see it on my work monitor it is still out - think I may need to alter the white balance a bit. :bang:

The set up I used for the shot was 2 pieces of A3 white paper as backdrop (curled at the bottom so as to give a smooth horizontal-to-vertical change). This was on my kitchen worktop as I have some cheap spotlights which are angled on to the surface. I didn't really need to change anything, it was just a case of putting it all in the right place to get the light where I wanted it with minimal shadows. Most probably down to luck rather than real skill - not a pretty win but I'll take it :cool:

Really like your shot for Empty , spot on for the theme , great processing & colors & really envious that you managed to avoid any shadows at all (y)

Thanks a lot!

On theme, in focus, no shadows (y)

Thank you (y)

Love the portrait ...baby sporting a very Kennysarmy type haircut lol
Empty : nice effort agree with above about removing the strap but nice idea for the topic

It's not really a 'hair cut' that she's got, but more of a 'hair not grown' :LOL:
I don't think I would be overly popular if I got the clippers out to shave a 'TP' though!
Thanks for taking the time to look and comment :wave:

Your empty looks interesting, but what is it :LOL:

I was watching Back To The Future the other day and thought 'I could build one of those Deloreans' so I did, and went back in time and found that ye olden photographers used to use these kinds of crazy contraptions! Who'd have thought it! :LOL:

Hi Tim, Some great shot in you thread.

Week 12: lovely portrait with beautiful natural expressions. I really like the use of DOF. For me, the pic is a bit dark - I'd be tempted to try lightening the shadows. You've caught the baby's eyes beautifully, but your wifes eyes would look more natural with a bit more light in them. Great pic(y)

Week 13: great idea for the theme and a good image as well. Lovely crisp white background. Great detail and lighting. Looks to me as though the white balance may be out slightly - looks a bit orange, but maybe it really is that colour. However, that's a minor niggle.

Hi all, Here's my week 14 'object' photo. I chose this as a subject as these are my baby girl's first fancy shoes and we thought it would make a good picture subject (or should that be object :LOL:) to get printed/framed.

I appreciate that most people would want a plain background but my artistic director (aka wife :LOL:) and I quite liked the interest that the uneven background gave.

All C&C welcome.

Week 14 - Object by BigMonka, on Flickr

My photo for 'wrong' will be on its way at some point. I know what I want to do but it'll take a bit of setting up to get it right (not wrong :LOL:) and I haven't got the time for it right now as I'm packing up to move house.

Hiya Tim,

Wow this is a lovely photo and definitely one to add to the memorabilia. Your wife has taste as I think the background works perfectly for this photo.

Oh and the little shoes are so cute and dainty.

Lovely photo, well done!

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thank you both for the kind words, when we've moved house I may get a copy printed.

The shoes are great - they were made for her by a crafty friend of ours.

Hi Tim, your artistic director was right about the background. It certainly give interest and a real feeling to the delicate dainty subject. I like the contrasts provided by the background change of colour against the foreground. Very Very well done :clap:

Martin

your trio image is a great idea i think that would be great on a canvas and well shot,only comment if im honest all you hands look a bit cramped , it would be nice if you could strech it out a bit (y)great shot though

Back