TP Marwell Meet 30/01/2011

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd start a thread for all the people that went to Marwell today...

First off a dozen of the pics I took, was a lovely sunny day for a change and I think the animals appreciated it as much as we did :LOL:

RQ6I8325.jpg

RQ6I8331.jpg

RQ6I8345.jpg

RQ6I8371.jpg

RQ6I8376.jpg

RQ6I8385.jpg

Great set of shots Tony, the stars were the snow leopards for me plus it was good to meet you today too. ;)
Couple of my snowy shots.

5436_46a4534f25_b.jpg

540457_d2abd05028_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One for the birdwatchers... What sort of bird is this? I didn't catch what people were saying when it appeared!

It was a Redwing Tony(y)

Great photos everyone, I think the moorhen in the first shot is my favourite.

Some cracking pictures I really struggled with the backgrounds.
Memorable moments of the day,
overhearing someone say the buffalo in the in the 3rd shot had ears like a Gremlin :eek: and Alby saying the bat eared foxes lookied like Gremln :eek: nice lot weren't they :D

Ok just a few of mine :

Well I couldn't not include one of these

082.jpg

Think this should be OUCH !!!

130.jpg

Grumpy looking Golden Lion Tamarind

gtl.jpg

Suppose someone better start with a crow ;)

072.jpg

Last edited:
I like the bat eared fox. Don't see them around all that often. On several visits I have only managed to catch them asleep in one of their dens.

The colour on the golden lion tamarin looks rather harsh. Quite an expression though.

John

Some nice shots folks, keep them coming ;)
Here are a few of my crow shots and a zebra shot.
P.S. None look like a gremlin BTW. :D

5405_4e79bb55a8_b.jpg

54039_a131017841_b.jpg

54024_5290a8681b_b.jpg

540275_12b4164d56_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely there are more things to photograph at Marwell, other than the crows!!!

Unusual shot of zebras.

John

Surely there are more things to photograph at Marwell, other than the crows!!!

Unusual shot of zebras.

John

Not really John, I thought it was pretty poor. Maybe I've photographed it far to much and find the crows more entertaining as the fences have grown and the animals weren't out due to work going on there. :(

here are my better shots from the day:

5402207628_6730db33c0.jpg

5402912536_00e3a575ef.jpg

5402320229_77ce3420c6.jpg

5402919916_d03913e921.jpg

5402327005_dbbff8f185.jpg

5402324301_f64ba29f7a.jpg

Was a pleasure meeting you fine people.
Def up for another meet some day, good fun.:clap:

Few from me:

Tiger by *SM*, on Flickr

Diving penguin by *SM*, on Flickr

Snow leopard!!! by *SM*, on Flickr

Moody Hartmann's Zebra by *SM*, on Flickr

A very limber Coati by *SM*, on Flickr

Grevy's Zebra grazing by *SM*, on Flickr

Thank you very much to PickleB/Bob who lent me his 70-200 f/2,8 + 1.4x teleconverter to use with my D90. I felt rather inadequate with my Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. Might upload any more good ones once I go through them all.

What do you guys think of this quote on the Marwell Flickr page? I don't really mind as it's a bonus if it happens, but then I think they are trying to get free photos from amateurs when otherwise a pro would have to be employed (an argument I see many places).

The official group for photos from Marwell Wildlife Park, Hampshire. By submitting your photos to this group you are giving permission for them to be shown on our website. All submissions will be screened and those that we approve will appear at www.marwell.org.uk/photos as well as in the group. Thank you for your images.

Last edited:
Some lovely shots everyone and sorry to have not made it. Looks like you were lucky with the weather, but yes there is quite a lot of work going on at the moment as it's out of season and they're trying to get new things sorted before the weather picks up. I look forward to the new Cheetah enclosure which is due to be finished in April... maybe a good time for the next meet!

Sameer - don't forget Marwell are a charity. If they pay a photographer that is money that doesn't then go to the work they are doing here and abroad. There are plenty of us photographers who don't mind letting them use photographs so yes they are giving people that option - it's a sort of way of supporting charity. They're actually selling one of mine as a postcard in the shop :)

Some lovely shots everyone and sorry to have not made it. Looks like you were lucky with the weather, but yes there is quite a lot of work going on at the moment as it's out of season and they're trying to get new things sorted before the weather picks up. I look forward to the new Cheetah enclosure which is due to be finished in April... maybe a good time for the next meet!

Sameer - don't forget Marwell are a charity. If they pay a photographer that is money that doesn't then go to the work they are doing here and abroad. There are plenty of us photographers who don't mind letting them use photographs so yes they are giving people that option - it's a sort of way of supporting charity. They're actually selling one of mine as a postcard in the shop :)

Ah, thanks for the info. I'll join the group then. :)

Uploaded a few more, although not as good as the first lot imo, except for this one:

Pensive leopard by *SM*, on Flickr

I think the big cats have been my favourite; really like the Servals; didn't get that good a picture of them though.

Don't want to hijack the thread but was disappointed that I missed the TP meet.

I agree, Marwell Wildlife is a charity and does a lot of good work. An annual ticket allows access to several other Wildlife Parks, so good value.

Can I also make a plug for Marwell Photographic Group (independent from Marwell Wildlife). A link to their website showing the programme for 2011:

http://www.marwellphotogroup.org.uk/meetings.php

John

Last edited:
Uploaded a few more, although not as good as the first lot imo, except for this one:

Pensive leopard by *SM*, on Flickr

I think the big cats have been my favourite; really like the Servals; didn't get that good a picture of them though.

Not bad Sam, shame the light and shadow fell diagonally across his face. My shots of the leopard were not that great due to the light unfortunately.

Clearly Sameer managed to get the shot with the Fence filter but was caught without a Net filter.

John

Clearly Sameer managed to get the shot with the Fence filter but was caught without a Net filter.

John

Lol.

Here's another, caught rather well if I may say so, not fence or anything! Shame I'm not that good at processing, otherwise I would sort out the shadowed eye. If someone can suggest something, I'll reprocess it. (Using GIMP though)

Staring snow leopard by *SM*, on Flickr

Uploaded a few more to Flickr and still got a handful to get through over the weekend.

Snow leopard having a break by *SM*, on Flickr

Snow leopard pacing in enclosure by *SM*, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back