Trade in and upgrade a car?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
The 2nd hand car market seems to be in ruins.
I've already spent shed loads of money for advertising, but only a couple of scammers were remotely interested :crying:. The cars I am watching on ebay and autotrader have also attracted very little attention. They are Octavias and Superbs in what appear to be a good condition. btw keeping the existing car is not an option - servicing is too expensive and I can't even justify paying a bomb for 17" low profile winter tires - and soon summer ones too.

So if there is no further interest within let's say one more week, shall I look at trading in for that seemingly very unpopular Skoda superb (obviously forcing mechanic inspection)? What are good ways to reduce the losses going this way?

lower the price
or list it as an auction on ebay
trading in will cost you more than a set of tyres and you will always get a better cash deal than trade in deal

Having said that, I just got someone coming to have a look. I may drop the price a bit for them. I thought it was better to start higher as they will eventually haggle it anyway.

I just sold my car on ebay. I didnt get anywhere near what I wanted.
It was listed for 3 weeks on autotrader and ebay as a Classified and only had scammers contact. I lowered the price considerbly and not a bean.

Put it up for auction and got over a grand less than what I was expecting as my very lowestr price to sell.

Saying that, the cars Im looking at buying (Land Rover Discos) are also static at the moment, so hopefully I should get a good deal. Once the snow hits, the prices will sky rocket again.

Many types of car have taken a hit recently, but on the plus side that means there are some bargains to be had

People regularly over value cars. The guides you buy from a newsagent are not that accurate and even the trades Cap or Glasses can be hit and miss. When you trade a car with a dealer, they will normally call a trader to get a value, as the car is only worth what someone will pay.

Many types of car have taken a hit recently, but on the plus side that means there are some bargains to be had

Hopefully :nuts:. It think I may be lucky with the sale - unless she suddenly changes her mind very quickly. Let's think positive.

daugirdas said:
Servicing is too expensive and I can't even justify paying a bomb for 17" low profile winter tires - and soon summer ones too.

are you serious?

How much is the trade in loss and depreciation going to cost you over the next 12 months, a lot more than a service and 4 tyres

It's like depreciation doesn't exist, plus I can 100% guarantee the car your buying won't have winter tyres on so you'll still be buying those

Saying that, the cars Im looking at buying (Land Rover Discos) are also static at the moment, so hopefully I should get a good deal. Once the snow hits, the prices will sky rocket again.

When you're looking at Disco's check behind the OSF wheel, they have a habit of wearing through the power steering pipes just there. It's a design fault & a hassle to fix!

It's like depreciation doesn't exist, plus I can 100% guarantee the car your buying won't have winter tyres on so you'll still be buying those

...plus, don't the decent one's have 17"" wheels?

I first went to get a trade in price on a cat worth £4750 and the dealer offered me £2500, which I wasn't impressed with. Soon realised that trade in prices ate non existent so advertised on pistonheads, £10 for month. Had a fair bit of interest but all from people wanting to do swaps. Dropped the price by £600 and got the same type of interest.

In the end I got £3000 for it against a £4800 Volvo, which I thought 'what the hell' and I went with it. The problem is you always think your car is worth more than anyone will give you and tbh, for the prices your looking at, your never going to get an amazing deal.

BTW, do you really need winter tyres? I drive everywhere in all conditions on medium price regular tyres.... Never have a problem and I have 18"s that only cost £110 or so and they're good for 10,000+ miles if you don't thrape your car.

Also, superb looks a great car. Bit sideboardy inside some models with all that wood but classy and individual nonetheless. :)

Last edited:
Go to one of the big carshop type places on the last day of the month and tell them what you want as a px price. Worked for me when I traded in a VW Bora; I asked for 3k and the guy just looked at me but went away and I got it. I was only trading in against a Focus at 4795 too :D

I first went to get a trade in price on a cat worth £4750 and the dealer offered me £2500, which I wasn't impressed with. Soon realised that trade in prices ate non existent so advertised on pistonheads, £10 for month. Had a fair bit of interest but all from people wanting to do swaps. Dropped the price by £600 and got the same type of interest.

In the end I got £3000 for it against a £4800 Volvo, which I thought 'what the hell' and I went with it. The problem is you always think your car is worth more than anyone will give you and tbh, for the prices your looking at, your never going to get an amazing deal.

BTW, do you really need winter tyres? I drive everywhere in all conditions on medium price regular tyres.... Never have a problem and I have 18"s that only cost £110 or so and they're good for 10,000+ miles if you don't thrape your car.

Also, superb looks a great car. Bit sideboardy inside some models with all that wood but classy and individual nonetheless. :)

17" very LOW PROFILE tires are fairly heavy in price, more like £600 from decent maker - that's just a one example of the costs associated with my current car. If I ever wanted to change anything like a clutch, I'd have to have the engine removed :wacky: - hardly a cheap job (not that it is needed now, but with my luck...). I've already been there once. Anyway, enough of that horror. As long as the prospective buyer pays me and doesn't suddenly back off it is provisionally sold. Hopefully. Trade in could be a backup solution

I suspect we will have a harsh winter this year with plenty of snow and ice. Last year it lasted for a while, and I have been missing out of all the fun. This year I intend to go for it, and make the most of it in the rural Wales, Somerset and Exmoor, where the roads never get cleared of snow.
Winter tires are good for normal driving at +7 or below, and that describes our winters pretty well. In the long run, it saves summer tires, so the overall cost should be the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

I suspect we will have a harsh winter this year with plenty of snow and ice. Last year it lasted for a while, and I have been missing out of all the fun. This year I intend to go for it, and make the most of it in the rural Wales, Somerset and Exmoor, where the roads never get cleared of snow.
Winter tires are good for normal driving at +7 or below, and that describes our winters pretty well. In the long run, it saves summer tires, so the overall cost should be the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

I think you're convincing yourself you need them, last year was a blip, the forecasters can't tell with any accuracy what's happening next week let alone in 3 months, winter tyres aren't a solution to driving in snow, they're better but if you're intending to go off the beaten track they won't be much use in a foot of snow or a drift, the only thing that will work there is a 4x4 with chains on.

I find it amazing that people PX cars, the sound of complaining on here when the prices offered by camera dealers are 30% below what they sell for on ebay is deafening but people regularly buy a car brand new, run it for 3 years, sell it because there's no warranty on it and they don't want a big bill then pay 10K extra for a new one :bonk:

When I look for a car all I put in is a figure I have to spend to see what comes up, don't pay too much and the depreciation is minimal

the car I'm running now is a 07 plate megane, one owner from new, bought with 14,000 miles on at just over 3 years old for £3500

the depreciation on that for the first owner was almost £1 a mile :eek:

BTW what is your current car

Last edited:
I think you're convincing yourself you need them, last year was a blip, the forecasters can't tell with any accuracy what's happening next week let alone in 3 months, winter tyres aren't a solution to driving in snow, they're better but if you're intending to go off the beaten track they won't be much use in a foot of snow or a drift, the only thing that will work there is a 4x4 with chains on.

I find it amazing that people PX cars, the sound of complaining on here when the prices offered by camera dealers are 30% below what they sell for on ebay is deafening but people regularly buy a car brand new, run it for 3 years, sell it because there's no warranty on it and they don't want a big bill then pay 10K extra for a new one :bonk:

When I look for a car all I put in is a figure I have to spend to see what comes up, don't pay too much and the depreciation is minimal

the car I'm running now is a 07 plate megane, one owner from new, bought with 14,000 miles on at just over 3 years old for £3500

the depreciation on that for the first owner was almost £1 a mile :eek:

BTW what is your current car

Did you mean my PREVIOUS car? A-class 1.7cdi. Gone. :D

Now I am car-less, and have little means to shop around for new one. Stop gap petrol Honda Accord or Toyota corolla or diesel Passat 1998 anyone?

I can justify winter tires if I keep the car for 3 years. They are fine for general driving in winter, and I will be getting chains to supplement it.
I am in fact looking forward to seeing plenty of snow - so many great photographic opportunities after miserable summer.

Like I said, widen the search, just put a £ figure in and see what comes up, it's worked well for me, I found some real bargains like that

55 plate Subaru legacy, 2 yrs 10 months old £3600 ran,for 18 months sold it for £3500

The 2nd hand car market seems to be in ruins.

The new car market too - how many 61-plate cars have you seen on the roads?

very unpopular Skoda superb

The diesels aren't unpopular, the taxi boys love 'em

People regularly over value cars. The guides you buy from a newsagent are not that accurate and even the trades Cap or Glasses can be hit and miss. When you trade a car with a dealer, they will normally call a trader to get a value, as the car is only worth what someone will pay.

The guides are just that, guides. Adjust the quoted prices for condition and mileage and even the likes of Parkers (for auction prices, anyway) are pretty accurate.

I first went to get a trade in price on a cat worth £4750 and the dealer offered me £2500,

Yeah, but high mileage slaughters the value of cars, particularly sporty petrol ones like your SEAT, if it had done something like 60k instead of over 100 then the trade value would have been nearly £2k higher.....

I've been trying to sell my 530 Touring for 6 months :(

Bought an M5 thinking it was fairly depreciation proof, and now even they have dropped in value in the last 6 months.

Bloody cars.

When you're looking at Disco's check behind the OSF wheel, they have a habit of wearing through the power steering pipes just there. It's a design fault & a hassle to fix!

Yep, I know all the foibles. The ACE pipes corrode down there too. Chasis off job to replace.. Screw that!

BTW. My wedding car was a Skoda Superb. Very nice it was too.

Now I am car-less, and have little means to shop around for new one. Stop gap petrol Honda Accord or Toyota corolla or diesel Passat 1998 anyone?

I'm driving a 10yr old 1850cc Accord with 77k on the clock. £245RoadTax, Grp8 insurance, 33mpg.

Totally bullet proof with service history passed all MOTs, they can be had for about £1500 and can be serviced with ease and a basic tool kit. If you go for one 98-02 plate, I'll do you a service howto, oil, filter, air filter, sparks, brakes discs&pads, coolant and all torque specs. Join the Honda forum I am on and we get 'x' percent discount and free delivery on Honda OEM parts and fluids.

Here is the What Car Reliability survey for that era

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-reliability-survey/217350#
13105544749.jpg
13105544859.jpg

Last edited:
The new car market too - how many 61-plate cars have you seen on the roads?

Not many if I am honest - but had 2 as hire cars between here and Stratford.

2 Ford foci. Both horrible. :puke:

The petrol one 36mpg. :thumbsdown:

the deviljuice one 55mpg (y)

Both driven in the same way and I don't exactly hang around. ;)

17" very LOW PROFILE tires are fairly heavy in price, more like £600 from decent maker - that's just a one example of the costs associated with my current car. If I ever wanted to change anything like a clutch, I'd have to have the engine removed :wacky: - hardly a cheap job (not that it is needed now, but with my luck...). I've already been there once. Anyway, enough of that horror. As long as the prospective buyer pays me and doesn't suddenly back off it is provisionally sold. Hopefully. Trade in could be a backup solution

Tyres on big rims are not cheap, but they're dropping dramaticaly compared to a few years ago. I can remember paying £160+ per tyre for 18" 225/40 (mid-range Avon or Vredstein) on my Mondeo and when I first got my Seat. Fast forward a year or two and after searching around I was finding the same ones for as low as £120. The tyre bloke said that with more and more cars coming with larger alloys the prices seemed to be dropping in relation. Whether that's ultimately true I don't know, but I know at the end of owning my Seat I was getting Kuhmo whatevers for £80 per tyre and they did just about everything the Pirelli P-Zeroes that came as standard on my Leon did for a fraction of the price. It really is a case of searching around these it seems, as some places are definitely taking the miskey with prices....

I toyed with the idea of winter tyres for driving to the alps (and winters over here) but it meant the additional cost and another set of alloys (or at the least, some steels). In the end, for this country didn't see a point unless I lived in a remote area, although some people did put over convincing arguments for their use. In the end I just adapted my driving when I went off main roads and ventured into the depths of the welsh hills, North Yorks and other remote parts of the UK. I stand by the fact that a good driving style will generally see you better than fitting so-called winter 'assistances', especially when our winters are so lame in general compared to parts of the world where winter tyres and/or chains are a must-have...

Hope you get things sorted - cars, you gotta love 'em!!!! :)

.....Yeah, but high mileage slaughters the value of cars, particularly sporty petrol ones like your SEAT, if it had done something like 60k instead of over 100 then the trade value would have been nearly £2k higher.....

Absolutely, and it's a sobering experience when you realise your pride and joy isn't actually worth anything near what you thought in the real world. Hope the OP's Merc isn't one where he gets a pittance, but I can't help feeling that 99.9% of trade-ins fit into that category :)

EDIT: Just read that he'd got rid... at least he's half way to getting sorted :)

Last edited:
4 years ago I had a 2000 yr lwb transit pickup, one owner from new(me) with 440,000 miles on it, I asked for a px price against a new iveco daily
They contacted a dealer who offered me £1000 for it

I politely declined and put it on eBay for £3000

I got 10 phone calls within 2 hours and sold it in 4 hours, a sign I sold it too cheap but for 3x what the px offer was

I'd never px unless I knew there was something wrong with it, the prices they offer must be assuming they think it's knackered

Back