travel camera.

Name
sam
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys, going to lazerote soon, don't want to take my dslr and various lenses.
i hear some bridge or mirror less cameras are good , somebody i was with there last year had one of these with a x50 zoom,
don't know what make it was, so can anybody recommend a decent travel camera with out breaking the bank, thanks sam.

Personally I've an RX100IV that is excellent. Fits in the pocket, great IQ, HSS for fill flash on sunny days, great video too. However, not got a lot of reach. So if you want something with a longer reach, I'd be looking at the Sony RX10. The latest is the III but is quite expensive!

i hear some bridge or mirror less cameras are good , somebody i was with there last year had one of these with a x50 zoom,
don't know what make it was, so can anybody recommend a decent travel camera with out breaking the bank, thanks sam.

There are a few decent compact cameras out but depends on your budget, what is your upper limit?

Are you happy to buy SH?

The RX100 seems to be well recommended, I am looking for one myself.
The Canon G7X is another option, or even the G9x if you don't need the bigger sensor.

The compact range will be a compromise between cost, zoom and sensor size.

The Panasonic TZ70 or the Sony HX90 have everything most people want and don't break the bank. Both are pocketable and both have eye level finders for sunny days. Image quality is good for such small sensors and both have 30X zooms starting at 24mm equivalent wide angle. The Sony has a flip up screen but the Panasonic just edges ahead on image quality.

24645508333_66413e6056_b.jpg

The Panasonic TZ70 or the Sony HX90 have everything most people want and don't break the bank. Both are pocketable and both have eye level finders for sunny days. Image quality is good for such small sensors and both have 30X zooms starting at 24mm equivalent wide angle. The Sony has a flip up screen but the Panasonic just edges ahead on image quality.

24645508333_66413e6056_b.jpg

+1 for the Panasonic TZ70,have one myself great camera!

I spent ages trying to work out what best to do here, in the end i went for the RX100m3 and have no regrets at all!

Looked and played with all sorts and came to the conclusion the cheaper compacts are not that much better that camera phones so i be as well stick with a phone, i didn't want to carry the D7100 and multiple lens but i did want the image quality which is exactly what i get from the RX100.

Just on the general point of some mirrorless cameras being good as the sensors range in size from smaller than MFT through MFT and APS-C and on to FF image quality is comparable or better to what you'd get from an APS-C or FF DSLR.

In good light the better modern compact cameras are pretty good unless you want to start pixel peeping but some have slowish lenses that could cause issues in lower light.

When off on hols I normally take a nice quality camera with a prime for when I want the best results and for low light use and a compact for the wider or longer good light stuff and for occasions when the other camera is a bit too much. So for me that's my Sony A7 or Panasonic MFT camera and a prime and also my Panasonic LF1 which produces nice enough pictures in good light as long as I don't pixel peep.

Get a Sony A7 and a 28mm prime. Good combo

I asked a similar question a while back and ended up buying a Lumix GX7 MFT (which cost me £299 new with the kit lens). I'm really happy with it. I've got the 14-42mm kit lens, and a 20mm f/1.7 pancake. The 20mm is brilliant (and the kit lens is decent too).

One thing I would definitely consider, given you're likely to be using it in bright conditions, is whether you need a viewfinder. The tiltable screen on my GX7 is great, but there are lots of occasions where I'm thankful for the EVF due to reflections obscuring the screen.

Last edited:
Back