Travel Camera

Name
barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone suggest a good mid-range travel camera?

Love my Canon but just gets too heavy when out strolling

Sony RX100 Mk3 or upwards if you don't need interchangeable lenses. From Mk3 there is a viewfinder which is indispensable in bright outdoor light IME.
Olympus E-M10II if you want to be able to change lenses.
The Panasonic GM5 is also very small and light (same size as the RX100 in fact) but I prefer the E-M10II.
When travelling I usually bring all 3 of the above.

Got myself an RX100 iv a few weeks ago and I am mightily impressed with it. The image quality is stunning for something so small and the lens is really sharp.

Sony RX100 Mk3 or upwards if you don't need interchangeable lenses. From Mk3 there is a viewfinder which is indispensable in bright outdoor light IME.
Olympus E-M10II if you want to be able to change lenses.
The Panasonic GM5 is also very small and light (same size as the RX100 in fact) but I prefer the E-M10II.
When travelling I usually bring all 3 of the above.

Another option could be to grab one of the remaining GF7 kits that come with the 12-32 (24-64) lens... compact like controls and size, but you could add a tele-zoom or a prime. See how you like the system and maybe think about one of the larger bodies later.

Interchangeable lens system or fixed lens? Bridge or compact (if fixed lens) and fixed FL or zoom?
For ^, Fuji X-T 1.............................Not sure on ^, Fuji X30 for ^..............or X100 for ^ - X30 is ^.

I've had a lot of success with the Panasonic TZ series. This was grabbed with a TZ40 (without an eye level finder) and the models with EVFs are even better.

16268000966_1b98e49a9f_b.jpg

We have a Sony RX100 mk3. As others have said, the image quality is excellent given the sensor size. Video quality, too. The other principal reason for buying was the viewfinder - indispensable in bright sunlight.

Can anyone suggest a good mid-range travel camera?

Love my Canon but just gets too heavy when out strolling

It depends... on how large a camera you'll accept, if you want to change lenses or not and your budget.

There are some fixed lens compact cameras that look really good but I've always been nervous about spending a lot of money on one of these as I'm paranoid about getting something on the sensor which is then pretty much impossible to clean. I do appreciate that fixed lens cameras are much less likely to get stuff on the sensor but it's just a maybe irrational fear I have.

If you want something that is truly pocketable I suppose that'll mean a compact camera but if you will carry a small bag I'd recommend something like the Panasonic GX80 with the 14-42mm Mega OIS kit lens and a small prime. Actually that kit lens is the size of a small prime and it's useable wide open. That two lens set up will fit in a small bag and would cover most of my needs but cost could well be a factor too.

I think you'll have to decide what your budget is and what your priorities are and once you know these things the choice will be easier. Good luck choosing.

So many variables in this, as have been pointed out.

I use a Panasonic TZ60 (or is it TZ80? Can't remember) for most of my holidays primarily because it fits in the pocket of my shorts. I took my Fuji XT-10 last time as well and just didn't use it as we spent most of our time on the beach / by the pool. It was also cheap and my family don't get confused when using it!

For days out, and slightly more active holidays, the XT-10 with an 18mm or 27mm pancake lens will just about fit in my coat pocket and gets a lot of use.

I used to take my 5D3 everywhere, in fact, but got a Fuji X-Pro 1 as my travel camera and the next trip I might take both and see how they flare.

In Sweden.

PH6fXbP.jpg

This was the view when I was almost frozen.

2CUlLwb.jpg

Hong Kong Skyline.

PsUk68k.png

BaaAAf9.jpg

I am curious to see if I could get the same shots with my Fuji vs 5D4.....

I bought a Fuji x70 as a travel camera, as I was not really getting my DSLR packed and with me on trips.... but I do regret the purchase a bit, I didn't think lack of viewfinder would be too much of an issue as I'm so used to snapping pictures using the LCD screen of my cameraphone.... but glare from the sun doesn't make it ideal.

I don't use it for fast moving subjects, but it seems pretty fast & it's certainly very good in low light, also fast to focus

I don't use it for fast moving subjects, but it seems pretty fast & it's certainly very good in low light, also fast to focus
Thanks for the info. Do you have any images?

I really like the fact that it has a hotshoe and an articulating screen which the RX100 doesn't have but I'm concerned about image quality.

Back