Travel Tripods

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
A common post I bet, however can't quite find what I'm looking for.
Can anybody recommend me a travel tripod that can fold down to 40cms (or less) and is also less than £50...?

I use a nikon d7000 with an 18-105mm lens.

Thanks

Phil

I started the quest for a travel tripod some time ago, it became quite addictive reading what felt like millions of reviews. However I realised that to get small, light and strong, money came into it. I ended up going for this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00AZTCHDE/ref=mp_s_a_1_57?qid=1422136642&sr=8-57&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

It's perfect for my use, it folds down to about 30cm, has no problem holding my Fuji X-E1 and 55-200mm lens which is quite a weight. He twist opening and tightening is extremely quick once you get used to it as well.

I wish you well on the never ending search for a travel tripod haha.

Adam

I must say I am enjoying doing my research. However I have a time limit on it, head to the U.S. In March so until then. That does look good...stretching the budget but I guess it will always pay off.

Thanks mate

Phil

With tripods I've found that buying cheap means buying twice. You don't have to get to Gitzo price levels but it's worth buying something decent as a flimsy tripod is worse than useless (since you still have to carry it for the rest of the day even after you realise how bad it is).

Thanks mate. I'm currently looking at the manfrotto compact series. They have the action with the handle then the cheaper without. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Phil

I have one of these and it's pretty good, I think they used to be a bit cheaper though. I wouldn't use it at full height, it gets a bit wobbly but is fine for star-trails etc from a lower perspective.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DNZPTA0/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1422258431&sr=1&keywords=hahnel tripod

I would reiterate the point of buying cheap tripods not being worthwhile, especially when travel tripods are concerned as there are too many factors competing for corner cutting.

Have a look at the Manfrotto BeFree, my sister has one and it seems pretty solid for its size.

Have a look at the Velbon Ultra Range, i have the Ultra Maxi-M and i love it as a Travel Tripod, really good size and goes really low too

It's been a while since i bought mine, but i think it was around the £50 mark

http://www.velbon.co.uk/ultra.html

Last edited:
Perhaps 50mm too long at 450mm collapsed but I have a Manfrotto MT293C4 but it ain't less than £50! Being good quality carbon it's both stiffer than aluminium and very comfortable to the touch - Once you have handled carbon you don't really like aluminium.

I too reiterate the 'buy cheap, buy twice' advice but also a tripod which isn't steady is as useful as a chocolate teapot!

Thanks for all the responses. Funds don't really allow me to go much past £50 at the present time. Due to time not being on my side I may have to go cheaper and wait till after my holidays to spend more.

This is what I'm looking at...what do we think?

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/product/0/MKCOMPACTACN-BK/_/Compact_Action_Black

Cheers
Phil

....That's an extremely good deal! I have several Manfrotto products and they are well designed and built.

If the price includes their 'joystick grip' ballhead that's a ridiculously low price! I use a similar one on my carbon Manfrotto compact tripod....

70DManfrotto_00936.jpg

But with a such compact tripods try not to use them with the centre post extended - It's more stable with the legs spread to gain height < :D - Not as in my photo - It was before I learnt this tip!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. Funds don't really allow me to go much past £50 at the present time. Due to time not being on my side I may have to go cheaper and wait till after my holidays to spend more.

This is what I'm looking at...what do we think?

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/product/0/MKCOMPACTACN-BK/_/Compact_Action_Black

Cheers

Phil

Note that this can only hold 1.5kg. Not sure I would use it with a DSLR.

Also the folded length is long that you were looking for at 45cm.

I've been looking for something similar and I am potentially considering this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...X110_SY165&dpPl=1&dpID=31zs2emVHAL&ref=plSrch

Advantages of this are:
Holds up to 6kg
Folds down to 32cm

Disadvantages:
Unknown make and seems to be lack of reviews

....That's an extremely good deal! I have several Manfrotto products and they are well designed and built.

If the price includes their 'joystick grip' ballhead that's a ridiculously low price! I use a similar one on my carbon Manfrotto compact tripod....

70DManfrotto_00936.jpg

But with a such compact tripods try not to use them with the centre post extended - It's more stable with the legs spread to gain height < :D - Not as in my photo - It was before I learnt this tip!
The head is not the same as in your picture it is a much cheaper version.

My camera + lens weighs in at 1.2kg. Is that pushing it with a tripod that's max hold is 1.5kg? I'm never going to go with a bigger lens for travelling.

Phil

For really lightweight travel, I use a Hama compact mini pro travel tripod with both my D7100 and V1. Provided you're careful and its not windy I've had no issues even with long exposures at night. Cost me £19, it weighs next to nothing and comes in a little case. When used with the D7100 i also use a electronic cable release, £1.95 off ebay!

I have been looking at both the Hama compact pro and the mini version. Unsure out of the two. The mini would probably be more convenient.

Thanks for your help

Phil

I had a Hama Traveller Mini Pro tripod that I got from the local Freegle group. It was ok as long as it wasn't used anywhere windy and the ball-head wasn't much use.
I did take it to Venice last year and I managed to get a few night shots with it. I now have a Manfrotto Befree which I purchased on here for a great price. This is much more sturdy and should fit in the hand luggage for our Sorrento trip in May and also be used during our week in Cumbria later in the year.
I ended up giving the Hama to my brother.

I do like the look of the manfrotto however it stretches my budget at the minute. Think I will go for the Hama for now and after the holidays (depending on left over pocket money) I may treat myself. Or even see if they are cheaper in the states.

Thanks for your help.

Phil

LOL :D This is how some photographers end up with 5 tripods!

I gave my first tripod to my daughter and she is very happy with it for shooting her products indoors.

Have a great holiday, Phil :)

Look at the Cullmann Nanomax range. I have the 200T and its a no nonsense little tripod, I did change the ball head to a Manfrotto just to maintain compatibility with the Manfrotto QR. The big factor was a dislike of twist lock legs and the Cullmann has levers. I did have a good look at the Siriu, Castle Cameras in Bournemouth have them and push them heavily, when looking for a Monopod recently and was wholeheartedly underwhelmed, the monopod was shockingly bad and it's twist lock caught even the salesman out but not holding easily. They do look good though and the way the range was being pushed suggests the shop was getting a good margin on them but no. If buying again and could spend more then It'd go for the Manfrotto BeFree but at budget level it'd be another Cullmann.

Might be worth buying in the States though and there is a bit of a saving even when comparing UK and US Amazon prices and you'd save a little bit of outgoing luggage space.

I had a budget tripod and in the end i needed one to take abroad with me so i bit the bullet and got giottos vitruvian which goes into the suit case with ease

Thanks again.

I like the look of the cullmann, however where can I buy one? Amazon don't seem to have any?

Thanks

Phil

Or my other option which looks very similar to the cullmann is the Slik Sprint Mini II GM Tripod.

Any experience with that one?

Phil

Back