Travel tripods

Edit My Images
Yes
Any recommendations for a good tripod for travelling. I have a Canon 5 mk III so it needs to be reasonably sturdy but light.

Thinking £500 ish. But I was loooing to see what other people had. The Manfrotto befree looks reasonable. Just wondered what other people had

I have a Redged 522k, which is light, compact and sturdy enough to hold my 7d mk2, with a 70-200

Oh dear. Apparently Redged are no more . They have folded, so back to Manfroto then !!

Last edited:
I use a mefoto globetrotter with my gripped 6d, nice light and sturdy :)

Strangely, I was just reviewing the mefoto roadtrip. Its just a tad lighter than the globetrotter ( but more expensive) .but looks pretty funky!!!

I don't have the mefoto myself but have had a look at mrgubby's one it looks a very nice bit of kit to the point of I'll probably be going for one of them myself in the near future having left mine in Rome last week.

Lost it or had it nicked? Bit light fingered in Rome!!

Yup, looking at the mefoto, comparing it to the rest, it does look pretty good. I think the globetrotter is aluminium, the roadtrip is carbon fibre, hence the price.

Yup, looking at the mefoto, comparing it to the rest, it does look pretty good. I think the globetrotter is aluminium, the roadtrip is carbon fibre, hence the price.

No it wasn't nicked, like a dipstick I left it behind at a wedding venue and only noticed when packing for the return flight with no chance to go and get it. :banghead:

Oh dear. Apparently Redged are no more . They have folded, so back to Manfroto then !!

check with Amazon - they still had stock a couple of months ago - I have had the TSC 427K and RNB-2N Head for almost 2 years - take it all the time when I am travelling - and use it with a 300mm f2.8 Nikon

I used a Sirui on safari, was great. If I'm in a city, I just take an ARRI Superclamp with the Sirui ball head on. Always something to clamp to.

I have a Manfrotto carbon tripod that you could have. It hasn't had a lot of use and I doubt I will get to travel much again, unless by motorbike, in which case I wouldn't take one with me.

Picked up a Nest tripod as I needed one to fold down quite small to fit in a motorbike pannier- can't fault it -personally think it's sturdier than the equivalent 3 legged thing and paid about £116 at the photography show- can also convert a leg to a monopod which I use more than I thought I would- seems to be on offer on the nest site
http://www.nest-style.com/traveller-nt6264ak-tripod-kit.html

Was writing my reply when this was posted- you can't beat a free tripod plus it's nice to see a fellow motor biking photographer on here....... Surprising how much gear you can fit on a bike
I have a Manfrotto carbon tripod that you could have. It hasn't had a lot of use and I doubt I will get to travel much again, unless by motorbike, in which case I wouldn't take one with me.

Thinking £500 ish. But I was loooing to see what other people had. The Manfrotto befree looks reasonable. Just wondered what other people had

I have a 5Diii and I just bought Manfrotto befree CF. It's fairly solid with the camera and 24-105 or 16 - 35. I havent tried it with longer lens, but I worked on the basis that I would probably use the above lenses when travelling. The only downside I would say is that it has no hook for added weight.

Thanks but I shall need to do some research then pop up to London to Cameraworld to touch, feel etc. I do get a tad anal !!!

I've got the CF globetrotter, I don't know about the tripod but my wallet is much lighter... :)

Thanks but I shall need to do some research then pop up to London to Cameraworld to touch, feel etc. I do get a tad anal !!!

I can just imagine you cuddling your tripod in the shop now :)
Luckily I bought mine at the Photography show and was able to cuddle the CF and non CF model, quite a difference in weight.
I saw some reports on here saying it wasnt so stable, but I havent found that to be an issue. As i said, I would have liked a weight hook but if really needed I can get around that. It's so light as well, and fits easily into hand luggage

A hook is actually a nuisance - just make a cord loop, and wrap it round the spider to take your camera bag as the weight.

Back