Traveling Bag Kit

Name
Joseph
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Im lucky enough to have booked quite a few trips for the next few months. I was hoping someone could provide with abit of advice and critique on my approach.
Il be visiting Portugal, New York, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand and Cambodia. Obviously all these places offer a mix photography opportunities. Other than documenting my trip Il be wanting to take some proper shots involving bit of landscape and some street stuff. Including Long exposure and maybe a bit of HDR.

The Kit-

-D7100
- 35mm 1.4
- Tamron 70-200 2.8
- (Possibly) Wide angle Tokina
- Gorillapod (Questionable, but I love them, versatile and light)
- Spare Batteries & Powerbank with USB Charger
- Polaroid & ND screw in filter
- A few hundred GB worth of SD cards

So, thats everything il be taking, obviously won't be carrying that all around all the time. A Major question I was looking for some advice on is a Day sack to carry it in. I was thinking something around 40L. Im not really looking for a camera bag as such. As Il be using it to put other things in as well as photography stuff. So does anyone have any recommendations for a 40L daypack that is hand luggage sized compatible, which is suitable for camera carry and things such as food, clothing, water etc etc? Most likely be carrying bits of clothing in it for the plane journeys etc etc.

Another major worry of mine is keeping the images safe. I plan on using the 2 slots of the D7100 to take a duplicate of every image and storing each SD in two different places to keep two copies of each shot until I back up at home. Anyone have any recommendations on this plan?

In regards to powering the camera, when I'm in Asia there will be a lot of remote trekking, during this time I could be away from electricity for a few days at a time. Any improvements to be made on the power bank idea?

Finally, if anyone has any critiques of anything or any tips, I would really appreciate hearing them. How would you guys approach the situation. Other than NY, all the travel is back to to back.

Thanks Guys,

Joseph.

I always travel with any kit in a bag that just looks like any other bag a local might lug around; something that doesn't shout: "tourist, mug me". I even veer away from backpack type bags and just use an over the shoulder sports type bag, the older and more battered looking the better. Lenses and fragile stuff just keep safe with Domke Wraps. Carry the absolute least amount of stuff you can during the days out and about. Few things will kill your enjoyment more than a heavy sack on your back.

I am about to set off on a trip for the next 6+ months taking in India, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Japan, Indonesia, and Australia.

My kit list consists of the following:
Canon 6D
24-105 F4L
100-300 F5.6L
40mm F2.8 panacake
16mm fisheye
100GB+ of memory cards (max size 16gb)
58mm + 77mm CPL

Like you I wanted a day bag that would take all of the above, but I also wanted it to clip to the front / back of my Kathmandu Gluon bag. In the end I decided to use my 65L Kathmandu pack and day bag. When I am travelling on trains, buses, etc I will put my Lowepro Passport Messenger in my main 65L pack. When out for the day I would either take my messenger bag or put my messenger bag in the 15L day pack.

Finally for photo management I am taking a Dell XPS 13 2015 with an additional battery (15+ hours battery) so I can bin and edit photos on the move or on down days.

Good luck and have fun - maybe we'll bump into each other ! I leave for Goa on Friday.

I always travel with any kit in a bag that just looks like any other bag a local might lug around; something that doesn't shout: "tourist, mug me". I even veer away from backpack type bags and just use an over the shoulder sports type bag, the older and more battered looking the better.

This is good advise that I had forgot to mention as part of my rationale for taking a regular (and not camera) day pack.

I am also keeping silca gel sachets in the camera bag so that it absorbs any moisture and to prevent fungus growth

WingStun Thanks! Traditional non camera bag is a great Idea. Never head of Domnke wraps. Seem very interesting. I think for the sake of carrying clothing stuff to maximise my hand luggage il probably go for a non camera type rucksack. May take a light messenger bag and throw it in the hold luggage for out and about in the day.

Still struggling to find a Pack.

DaveKing he Kathmandu Packs are great! Thats a lot of focal coverage. May I ask what is your approach regarding power for your devices? I was very close to buying an XPS a few months ago, ended up going Mac, which I can't say I regret. Not sure if lugging the mac around will be feasible for me. Have you tried doing it before? I think having the photo management side of things with a laptop which be hugely beneficial for my sanity on long bus journeys also!

Yes maybe we will. Not leaving for a few months yet.

Joseph, for out and about during the day I've traditionally used a Domke F2. It's a well thought of photo bag that was designed by a journalist to not look like a photo bag! Plenty of room in there for the photo kit you're planning to take and still plenty left over for all the other stuff you're likely to use during the day. This is the F2:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...p1013927?mkwid=sfcxvexml_dc&pcrid=89741408339

Quite by coincidence, I have one of my Domke F2s up for sale at the moment:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/domke-f2-original-ballistic-black.611979/

As it's a used one it would serve you better than a brand spanking new one and save you some money in the process. Just a thought and please don't think I'm pitching my bag! :)

I'm lucky as there are two of us going (me and the wife), so the wife will be taking the laptop and a couple of the smaller bits. The fisheye and 40mm fit in a pocket, the only thing I feel I'm missing and still may order tomorrow (thank god for amazon prime) is a flash.

Power for camera will be via spare batterys and a single charger. I bought the Dell with one of these that will also charge phones etc. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfo&sku=451-bblz
The intention for the Dell is also to be able to watch movies on etc so it essential we get at least 10 hours battery life

I would like to take a look WingTsun, but unfortunately I don't have enough account privileges yet to view to classifieds.

Ah DaveKing seems as if you aren't carrying that much kit being the two of you then. Yes I'm sure when your in some where like Krong Siem Reap a bit of distraction will be nice.

Have any of you have any other Traveling Recommendations for great photography spots? (bit of an open question I know, but trying to get some serious traveling miles done in the next few years).

I would like to take a look WingTsun, but unfortunately I don't have enough account privileges yet to view to classifieds.

Ah DaveKing seems as if you aren't carrying that much kit being the two of you then. Yes I'm sure when your in some where like Krong Siem Reap a bit of distraction will be nice.

Have any of you have any other Traveling Recommendations for great photography spots? (bit of an open question I know, but trying to get some serious traveling miles done in the next few years).
Having been to a fair few places in the last few years I would rate Iceland in winter number 1 photography great light and amazing scenery!

Thanks a1ex2001,

Iceland, Finland and Norway are a trio I would really like to spend a few weeks doing.

I have heard that out of city travel is a pain. Especially in places like the Faroe islands.

May I ask how you moved around Iceland?

Another option is a F Stop internal Camera Unit ICU. They do various sizes and you could put it in any traditional backpack if you wanted to. You could also pick up a F Stop bag later when you are home to make it easier to use at a later date. If your traditional back bag is too large for airport carry on, take the ICU out as carry on and put the folded bag in your hold bag.

Thanks a1ex2001,

Iceland, Finland and Norway are a trio I would really like to spend a few weeks doing.

I have heard that out of city travel is a pain. Especially in places like the Faroe islands.

May I ask how you moved around Iceland?

Finland and Norway are easy enough, as anywhere else. In Iceland rent a 4x4.

Back