Travelling with just a prime?

Not sure why people are suggesting the likes of an X100/s - that wasn't the question. I traveled with a couple of primes + an X100s last year, but sold the fuji after realising that I much prefered my 35mm on the dslr, even for travel. So I sold it. This year when I traveled, 3 times this year so far - I took a 35 and 85, and felt I didn't ever need anything else. If I had to chose one only, I'd probably opt for the 35.

Not sure why people are suggesting the likes of an X100/s - that wasn't the question. I traveled with a couple of primes + an X100s last year, but sold the fuji after realising that I much prefered my 35mm on the dslr, even for travel. So I sold it. This year when I traveled, 3 times this year so far - I took a 35 and 85, and felt I didn't ever need anything else. If I had to chose one only, I'd probably opt for the 35.

probably due to the OP asking for other peoples experience sand saying things like this

Which is making me think could I use a CSC with just a 35mm for example...

you didn't like it - thats cool. Its an opinion, but that doesn't stop people having opinions that are different. Does it?

In answer to the original post, I personally wouldn't. Been there, done that and wished I'd had longer and shorter options than the 50mm I had back then. Looking forward to the 18-135 XF Fuji being available - I think that should cover most of MY bases. I'll almost certainly take the 10-24 and 55-200 as well when we go back to Crete next month but will try to use just the one lens to see how feasible it is for the future. Of course, modern zooms are better than my old 50mm was but that's 30+ years of progress in design and build technology for you.

I'd say it depends on what you want to take pictures of

I took my RX1r to New York and found it was a great fit for taking street shots and the odd landscape type shot.
That's not to say I didn't miss my SLR's varying lens options at some points, it's just that the trade off of having to cart it all around and faff about swapping lenses etc would have ruined the non-photography side of my trip

I found I took far fewer shots but a much higher % were actually any good so that was another plus point for me, I spent more time actually looking at the places I was in and less trying to get a 'great' shot of something just because it was 'in range'.

I travel with one lens all the time; either an 80mm or 105mm (approximately 45mm or 59mm equivalents, respectively).

I've done several Spanish beach family holidays with just the 5D2, 50/1.4 & a CPL.

It's a bit different for UK Coastal holidays. Then I may take the tripod/17-40L/filters if I know I may get the chance of some coastal/sunrise/sunset shots. I still wouldn't carry them around with me during the day though.

Back