Tree reflections

ancient_mariner

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Last week I had to drive from Oxford to Fleet in Hampshire a couple of times. The first day it was absolutely pouring and the roads were sometimes covered in water & I had no time or opportunity to stop. However the second day was sunny and, having dropped off a piece of kit, I could take a little 'lunch time' break and go for a wander in the woods between Hartney Wintney and Reading. The place where I'd stopped had a lot of standing water forming woodland pools, and I could have spent hours there instead of the 25min I allowed myself.

I've processed these in both colour & mono, and while the colour images are pleasing, I feel like the mono strips away a lot of the clutter and distraction in what could be slightly busy scenes.

The meeting pool 6 Twins by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

The meeting pool 7 The Fallen by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

The meeting pool 1 Reflection by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

The meeting pool 9 Alone by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

C&C welcome

Last edited:
The silver birch in the 4th shot just glows, nice work.

These are not shots I would take, or process this way, but I can appreciate the style you have achieved here.

The silver birch in the 4th shot just glows, nice work.

These are not shots I would take, or process this way, but I can appreciate the style you have achieved here.

Thank you Craig, I really appreciate that. For me, there's a sense of the life in the trees that I'm trying to bring out, and that somewhat directs the processing as well as the taking.

I like these; they have sufficient structure to work well (especially the third). Interesting use of limited depth of field to reduce distant detail and clutter .

Thanks John. I find it difficult to isolate subjects in woodland shots without limiting depth of field because there's usually just so much cruft in the background. A longer focal length than the 85mm I used here would probably help with separating subject from surroundings even more.

Last edited:
Back