Trial and error

I think these are really lovely! I'm afraid I can't offer any pointers as I don't know anything about low key photography.

Number 2 for me

I like the shape created by the light on the hand and face.

I think the exposure could be upped a bit though ?

Cheers Phil, i thought that too but never know how much is too much.

How long is a piece of string.

These things are a fine balance at the best of times but on a screen (where it will vary) it's hard to know.

I like them both David, for me #1 definately needs a bit more exposure and #2 not quite as much. They're not far off the target though matey.(y)

George.

errmmmm, think I'm going against the grain here but I'm not a fan of either.

I have looked at these both on Lappy and mobile.

Ok I'll explain as best as I can. Your wife's nose looks odd in #1 with the glowing end think it could be burnt a little more. Though a exposure boost may work to reduce it.

#2 I think the POV needs to be a little round to the right so your not directly facing on to the shoulder.

I like the poses on both and highlights in the eyes really give a viewpoint but as a fan of low key it's not quite there yet, not far off though IMVHO.

Thanks George. I will have another crack at them tonight if I can.

Lee, softbox was about 5-6ft away from them and pointing at them from about 2ft behind if that makes sense? The softbox is a little too big really. Going to pick up a smaller, gridded one soon I think.

Bryn, good crit. The shiny konk annoys me aswell, but dulled down it looked worse to me as it was pretty obvious it had been done. Maybe I need to work on my editing skills or just look at this stuff in camera and position her differently. :LOL:

Thanks dean&gem. :)

Ideally I need a bigger room so I can bring everything away from the background more.

Thanks George. I will have another crack at them tonight if I can.

Lee, softbox was about 5-6ft away from them and pointing at them from about 2ft behind if that makes sense? The softbox is a little too big really. Going to pick up a smaller, gridded one soon I think.

Bryn, good crit. The shiny konk annoys me aswell, but dulled down it looked worse to me as it was pretty obvious it had been done. Maybe I need to work on my editing skills or just look at this stuff in camera and position her differently. :LOL:

Thanks dean&gem. :)

Ideally I need a bigger room so I can bring everything away from the background more.

David I have only just noticed that when looking at large image on flickr #2 is oof but #1 is killer sharp.

#1 needs a little more light and you need to turn her toward the camera a touch more IMO

#2 is the better one but watch the head position in relation to the light, the shadow from her nose is making her mouth look odd, maybe a duck face though ;)

Overall I'd prefer them to be portrait orientation as there is not much going on round them so there is empty space but that's just personal preference.

Nice to see you are trying new techniques and have a couple of willing models, I have to work it all with selfies :( ;)

In my opinion they're too dark. They're just dull and grey. There's a massive amount of room in the histogram at the top. Was this shot so dark or what it a post decision?

Either way, I prefer it with highlights. It doesn't change the feeling of the image IMO, but just makes the image sing a little more.

p3hWf6X.jpg

Back