Trip to Midlands

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to see relatives in Kidderminster for a week after christmas and although we will be spending a lot of time with them I would like to get some time with just me and the wife.

This seems like a good excuse to do some photography.

Is there anyone here from that area who has any ideas on places to visit at this time of the year. Looking for good places to shoot but with not too much walking (wife is asthmatic)

Much Wenlock, Wenlock edge, Church Stretton, Stretton Mill, Midland Gliding Club, Severn Valley Railway, Ironbridge Gorge, several National Trust places, Wenlock Priory, Clee Hills.
The walks don't need to be too strenuous, there are car parks close to Wenlock edge and to Stretton Mill. You can drive up to the Midland Gliding Club and there are fabulous views over the Welsh Marches. Clee Hill can be a bit strenuous but well worth it. Much Wenlock is a quaint town with a great butchers :thinking: trust me :LOL: and good pubs with black and white buildings.

The whole area is really good for sightseeing and walking.
Kev

Kev has said it all, but be careful about Ironbridge because opening hours may be different this time of year,the SVR though have a full timetable running all over the Christmas period.As you are in Kidderminster if you just want a gentle stroll there are plenty of canal towpaths nearby through some very photogenic countryside and being flat should be ok for the wife.I used them a lot when recovering from my heart attack 7 years ago

Depends what you are after, some good architecture in Birmingham (Selfridges building, law courts) or there's the steam railway which goes from Kidderminster.
You could also head out towards Bewdley, nice town with good cafes.

Thanks for the replies. I will take a look at some of the websites.

Hopefully I will have some shots that I can post on here when I get back

Merry Christmas All

Don't forget the Crooked House pub in Himley. An absolute must if you've not been before. You won't believe your eyes when you see it. Decent grub too.
Ian.

Plenty of photo opps in Kiddy (lived there for 27 years once).
As long as you keep your eyes open there's enough in town to see, Severn Valley Railway as mentioned many times being a prime target. Run down industrial streets, new shopping area (Weavers Wharf). Busy high street, canals, loads of parks, churches, viaduct.... I could go on.
Also as mentioned, Bewdley is very picturesque, very good food in the Mug House by the river and only about 3 miles out of Kiddy.
BTW, if you want to spend a little less than eating in the Mug, the chippy opposite Kiddy railway station (British Rail and Severn Valley share a driveway) made the top 12 chippies in the UK, Captain Cod's.

Back