Trip to Petra

joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
I was lucky enough to enjoy a trip to Jordan n the Middle East last week. Below are some shots I took whilst I was there. The country is really interesting and the people very friendly. The highlight was the drive down the Kings Highway where romans and prophets walked and the visit to Petra. Got there for 6am so there was nobody there and I had the place to myself, at 12pm on the way back there must have been 400 people walking around the treasury, man did I realise how good an idea it was to get up at 5am!

Roman Citadel, Amman
4435250390_e81e9c6df8_o.jpg

The Siq, Petra
4434475661_42ab3c790d_o.jpg

Glimpse of the Treasury, Petra
4435250124_e5a117e1a3_o.jpg

The Treasury
4435250236_a19b8b020e_o.jpg

The Obelisk
4435250660_64991db598_o.jpg

What a fantastic looking place. Really like #2 and #5 (especially the sky). Proves it is always a great idea to get up early for tourist hotspots.

excellent, my kind of holiday.. love the treasury built into the rock.. stunning..

agree the sky on the last shot is great.. hope I come back with shots half as good as these from my trip to egypt!

excellent, my kind of holiday.. love the treasury built into the rock.. stunning..

agree the sky on the last shot is great.. hope I come back with shots half as good as these from my trip to egypt!

what equipment do you plan on taking?

I've seen shots of Petra loads of times, I still want to go. No2 and 3 are crackers.

Hi - lovely shots!

I'm off on a Red Sea cruise this week - hoping to visit Petra and the Pyramids - I was going to ask about gear, what is best to take?

Will I need different lenses and filters, is my monopod a good idea?
Any help and advice is appreciated....i've only had my DSLR two months so I'm still learning! :)

Hi - lovely shots!

I'm off on a Red Sea cruise this week - hoping to visit Petra and the Pyramids - I was going to ask about gear, what is best to take?

Will I need different lenses and filters, is my monopod a good idea?
Any help and advice is appreciated....i've only had my DSLR two months so I'm still learning! :)

I took just two lenses cos I didn't want loads of weight. a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a sigma 10-20. My 7d high iso quality helped so I didn't need a fast prime. I used these lenses for filming as well as stills. Took a circular polariser too but no tripod or monpod.

wouldn't have needed them and although there were a few shots I missed by not having my 70-300 it wasn't worth the extra weight, mostly landscapes i was taking anyway.

if you can get to petra for 6am, do it. by 11am there must have been 400 people in front of the treasury and it completely spoiled it. Being there at 6am and the only people looking at it was an absolute treat

Cool - Thanks

I've got my 18-55 IS so that should do most of what I want...I bought a Tamron 24mm on here last week, hopefully I can figure it out (it's an older lens with Manual Focus etc) - I couldn't afford a 10-20.

I've got a fairly light monopod, I might take it, as for my 75-300 - not sure what to do now...I might ditch the rucksack and just take my little Lowepro 140 to carry a coupla lens and my cleaning kit.

We're on a cruise so I don't think we'll have the option of hitting it at 6am, I think we'll be on one of the large coach parties so I'll just have to photoshop the people out afterwards I suppose...

Thanks for the advice - I'm even more excited after looking at your pics.

You lucky devil. Ever since I studied the Nabateans at university, I've wanted to go to Petra. Lovely pics.

I'm deeply envious! I will definitely get there one day.... Loved your photos too!

Cool - Thanks

I've got my 18-55 IS so that should do most of what I want...I bought a Tamron 24mm on here last week, hopefully I can figure it out (it's an older lens with Manual Focus etc) - I couldn't afford a 10-20.

I've got a fairly light monopod, I might take it, as for my 75-300 - not sure what to do now...I might ditch the rucksack and just take my little Lowepro 140 to carry a coupla lens and my cleaning kit.

We're on a cruise so I don't think we'll have the option of hitting it at 6am, I think we'll be on one of the large coach parties so I'll just have to photoshop the people out afterwards I suppose...

Thanks for the advice - I'm even more excited after looking at your pics.

ok, day trip, ouch. better than nothing though and still worth the visit. it costs about £60 to visit for a day tripper just so you know.

photoshopping people out is a no chance at the treasury, there must have been 400 of them. the rest of the site youll have more luck though as they will be more spread out. they all just congregate at the treasury.

Yeah - thought as much...like you say its better than nothing...
We're going to have our 1 year old too so I'm guessing it won't all be spent looking through my viewfinder, especially seeing as its our honeymoon!

Thanks for the heads up on the cost.

I will try and get some pics posted up here when i get back.

hi,

I have my nikon D3000 and 18-200mm lens.. also have a 35mm prime that I love and would hate to leave... then again am thinking of hiring a sigma 10-20as I know from past experience its hard to get everything in the frame at some temples.. decisions, decisions..

we are doing nile cruise and cairo/luxor - thinking of getting a gorillapod to take as dont want to faff with monopod and bag in the heat.. also have nd 8 and polarising filter which I think i'll need in the bright sun?

hi,

I have my nikon D3000 and 18-200mm lens.. also have a 35mm prime that I love and would hate to leave... then again am thinking of hiring a sigma 10-20as I know from past experience its hard to get everything in the frame at some temples.. decisions, decisions..

we are doing nile cruise and cairo/luxor - thinking of getting a gorillapod to take as dont want to faff with monopod and bag in the heat.. also have nd 8 and polarising filter which I think i'll need in the bright sun?

the sigma is a must, more than half my shots were taken with it. As for the nd8, you'll be shooting landscapes at f10 and above anyway so with a circular polarizer you'll be using shutters of about 100 anyway so I don't think you need the nd8, there aren't a lot of good cloud formations to take advantage of slow shutter speeds, it's either blue sky or very hazy.

Looks good Joe. I'm glad you got there early. It really was the best advice I could give. Less people and also better light. The drive down the Kings Highway is stunning isn't it. If you ever go again, then Jerash in the north is an old Roman city where there are still chariot tracks worn in the cobbled streets from 2000 years ago!

I think the view down the Siq is great and well captured

Looks good Joe. I'm glad you got there early. It really was the best advice I could give. Less people and also better light. The drive down the Kings Highway is stunning isn't it. If you ever go again, then Jerash in the north is an old Roman city where there are still chariot tracks worn in the cobbled streets from 2000 years ago!

I think the view down the Siq is great and well captured

Kings Highway was a great drive, we went back along the dead sea highway and I have to say there was a part of that that was even more impressive than the kings highway.

I saw jerash on the map and the ruins, would like to go back there and explore that and also go to wadi rum for the desert camping

If you go back, then camping round an open fire under the stars in Wadi Rum is highly recommended. Its 13 years since I did that and it still brings a smile to my face...

Back