Tripod Advice

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Since upgrading my camera and lens the weight of the equipment has shot up and my poor old Velbon tripod does not look sturdy enough.

I have been looking at Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods and ball heads today but the choice is limit-less.

Can anyone recommend a good tripod and ball head please, I was looking at spending between £150 and £200.

Thanks

I have Gitzo legs (GT2540) and can't fault the build quality or stability. However, in my research I found lots of complaints about the Gitzo ball head so went a different, and more expensive, route for that. However, I have heard that there is a company called Benro who make carbon fibre tripods that are remarkably "similar" to Gitzo but at half the price. Worth a google at least?

Hi,

Thanks for that but that looks a bit more money than I wanted to spend. I dont often use a tripod but would like to have a good stable one that I wont worry about my camera and lens falling.

Actually, a heavier camera will make a tripod more stable - as long as it can physically stand the weight.

Steve.

have you had a look at the redsnapper tripods? i have one with a ball head. cant fault it. it can take a kit weighing 8kgs. head+tripod costs £100

Hi,

Thanks, they look alright. I'll have a read

have you had a look at the redsnapper tripods? i have one with a ball head. cant fault it. it can take a kit weighing 8kgs. head+tripod costs £100

Thanks,

They look good, might pop into WHE later today and have a play.

I've got a Manfrotto 055 MF3 (now obsolete) with a 488 RC2 head, nice and stable, it's rated for far more equipment than I have (D90 + Nikon 18-200 VR is the most I've put on it).

No complaints about Manfrotto kit.

Back