tripod heads adapter?

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
Feel a bit silly actually...bought a red-snapper ball-head from the for-sale forum. Assumed that these things were all a standard size. of course not.

turns out my tripod has a 3/8 inch screw, and the head has a 1/2 inch socket.

thinking there must be a (cheap) adapter plate or something out there that will work for this... ?

ignore this..i feel even more silly now....

(the rs head 1/2 inch socket is removable, which reveals a bigger 3/8 socket.

doh !

On some tripods, the 3/8 thread can be pressed down, reveailing a 1/4" thread. On others, the 3/8" thread is unscrewable, again, revealing a 1/4" thread. There may even be an adapter screwed into the bottom of the Red Snapper head.

Failing the above, you need something like THIS which can be made quite easily by anyone reasonably proficient with a lathe if the price tag is too steep.

Hi, likewise I've come across this issue. Just assumed the threads are all standard the same as those on the camera.

Got a Manfrotto 676b monopod and just bought a Manfrotto 484rc2 ball head, but they don't fit!

Socket on the head is too big and the thread on the monopod is too small. I can't see any way of pushing things down or unscrewing things. The instructions for the head mentions their tripod plates should come with "three set screws", well mine didn't. But then it's a monopod not a tripod (and a cheap one)

I'm thinking these just won't fit. My pan & tilt Velbon from my Velbon tripod fits it fine. You'd think Manfrotto + Manfrotto would be fine :(.

Edit: Hmm, I've got in my head now the image of a plate that screws on the top that may have had a bigger thread. Did I imagine it, or not and if not did I throw it away? Damn.

Back