Tripod help...

Name
Josh
Edit My Images
No
Hello forums,

Can I have a few suggestions on tripods?

Here's the deal, I need a tripod thats not too heavy. With only being 5ft 6 an all- I'm no man mountain and I reckon 2.5kg is too much for me to lug around, alongside my food, tent and camera equipment so lets say 2kg is the ceiling height. It's also going to be used at motorsport when the racing season restarts next year.

I know from my old tripod and heads that a 3-way pan and tilt seemed to slow, so I bought a manky ball head, camera flew around the place with no control, if you know what I mean. So I can't really say I've had a good experience form either but I reckon a good ball head is certainly the direction I'm leaning in.

Budget is ideally about £75 but I reckon is time to get quality flashes and tripods now I'm happy with my camera and lenses. Therfore I could jsutify upto £125. But like I said about £75-100 would be nicer.

Oh I almost forgot. I'll be supporting a gripped 450D with a 70-200 f2.8 being my current biggest lens, perhaps a 100-400 will be added by me -Doh, I mean Father Christmas, by the end of the year.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Hmm... Looks a little expensive and heavy perhaps? I suppose it's probably bery nice, but I can't really justify that much on legs.

I probably didn't explain that well yesterday, but I'd like a head and tripod for £75-£125.

Josh

Hmm... Looks a little expensive and heavy perhaps? I suppose it's probably bery nice, but I can't really justify that much on legs.

I probably didn't explain that well yesterday, but I'd like a head and tripod for £75-£125.

Have you looked at Redsnapper? (advertised here). Joe (redsnapper) also offers 10% discount for TP members.

The redsnapper tripod/ballhead is of the excellent quality and it is practically impossible to find the same quality for the same amount of money elsewhere. Their 3 section one + ballhead will cost you just under 100 and support your camera/lens combo.

You'll be the only person at a race track with a tripod!

Unless you have a disabilitiy which means you have to use a tripod, then you'd be much better off with a monopod instead for motorsport photography. Something with a QR head so you can buy an extra plate and have one on both your 70-200 and the 100-400 if/when you get it. A Manfrotto 680 or similar would be fine, and either a ball head such as 484RC2 or their RC2 equipped monopod head.

Redsnapper alloy legs and ball head will be ~2.5kg though. The carbon legs will keep you around your target weight.

If you''re after high quality, low weight and low cost, you're gonna struggle. Pick any two out of the three :(

Yeah, I know most people tend use monopods at the track.

The tripod isn't 'specifially' intended to take to the track, but I guessed it would be better than nothing?

But I'll certainly look at monopods.

Does anyone make a tripod/monopod. You know like tripod with a removable leg that becomes a monopod?

Jim tha's probably true, how much would yo advise spending on a tripod that does all three? And for that matter a monopod that does all three?

Yeah, I know most people tend use monopods at the track.

The tripod isn't 'specifially' intended to take to the track, but I guessed it would be better than nothing?

But I'll certainly look at monopods.

Does anyone make a tripod/monopod. You know like tripod with a removable leg that becomes a monopod?

You could consider a comfy optech neckstrap and handholding. In the last years motorsport I saw one guy use a tripod and about 8 million using monopods. He was the subject of ridicule amongst other photographers...

Nice Idea but not that I know of, I use a monopod most of the time now as it's much quicker to set-up and use than a tripod, obviously it doesn't help much with long exposures and i have a few tripods as backup if I'm going out shooting sunsets or similar

You can pick up top quality monopods from manfrotto for as little as £30

If you want a very sturdy very light tripod for travelling then a carbon fibre one would be ideal, you won't find this within your budget though unless you can source a cheap secondhand one

Jim tha's probably true, how much would yo advise spending on a tripod that does all three? And for that matter a monopod that does all three?

The RedSnappers give pretty good value, lot's of people here rate them highly (I think my alloy legs are great).

Their CF legs (1.6kg) are £140 and the ball head (0.6kg) is £50.

That's probably about the lowest you'll find (I doubt you'll find an equivelant Manfrotto/Giottos combination for that price) so I guess the only way is up from there as far as pricing goes.

I like the monopod idea, after a bit of googling I've got a little shortlist together:

Manfrotto 679/680 - seem more or less the same just one being 3 section the other 4.

Manfrotto 682 - Sounds similar to my idea earlier perhaps ok for lanscapes with short lenses? Anyone use this? Looks a little flimsy, but is supposedly pretty sturdy?

I think thats about it for the actual monopods themselves.

As for heads and whatnot, I'm not sure I get this bit, beause sureleywith a monopod do you need a ball head, since you have much of the movement already?

It looks to me like the 484RC2 and 486RC2 are decent and economical (AKA CHEAP :D) head to use especially because of the Quick Release system - the only likeable feature on my old tripod - it was a hama star I got as a Birthday present.

Or I think they do a 234. Which as far as I can see is a quick release and tilt attachment.

Hmm, comments, experience and suggestions?

I like the monopod idea, after a bit of googling I've got a little shortlist together:

Manfrotto 679/680 - seem more or less the same just one being 3 section the other 4.

Manfrotto 682 - Sounds similar to my idea earlier perhaps ok for lanscapes with short lenses? Anyone use this? Looks a little flimsy, but is supposedly pretty sturdy?

I think thats about it for the actual monopods themselves.

As for heads and whatnot, I'm not sure I get this bit, beause sureleywith a monopod do you need a ball head, since you have much of the movement already?

It looks to me like the 484RC2 and 486RC2 are decent and economical (AKA CHEAP :D) head to use especially because of the Quick Release system - the only likeable feature on my old tripod - it was a hama star I got as a Birthday present.

Or I think they do a 234. Which as far as I can see is a quick release and tilt attachment.

I got the redsnapper monopod and mini ball head.

It lets me use the camera in portrait or landscape or anything else in between if you are on a slope etc..

Screwed straight on would be harder to adjust or keep level etc..

Cheers

MIP

I like the monopod idea, after a bit of googling

Redsnapper also does monopod with smaller ballhead (cost together around 38 quid + 10% discount). I have that one as well and it is the same quality as their tripod - the same leg/joint construction. Very solid. And the miniballhead (despite the sound of it it is not that mini) can hold mu D200+80-200 f/2.8. Mind you for better stability I'd still prefer my Redsnapper CF tripod...

Definitely not flimsy, it's built like a tank, and the retractable feet are a real bonus. (y)

Definitely not flimsy, it's built like a tank, and the retractable feet are a real bonus. (y)

Sounds good. Might be placing an order with amazon later then. Thank for the help guys, really appreciated.

Sounds good. Might be placing an order with amazon later then. Thank for the help guys, really appreciated.

Should just add though that I wouldn't use it as a free standing tripod, just as a monopod with that extra stability. Also very useful with a panning head.

No I think I get it, it's not 30 second exposure stability type thing but, with me having arthritus in my back and hips and what not it should help me take a chunk of the load off me.

What head do you use?

No I think I get it, it's not 30 second exposure stability type thing but, with me having arthritus in my back and hips and what not it should help me take a chunk of the load off me.

What head do you use?

Indeed. I have MS and it's a lot easier for me to move around than a tripod.

I use a 488RC2 ball head

Back