Tripod help

Name
Shak
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Relatively new to TP and to photography in general. need some help in choosing a tripod for my canon 400D with 17-50 lens.

Primarily required for landscapes and needs to be under or around £100 can stretch another £25 if need be. This would therefore have to Inc a head

It's needs to be light (portable) enough to not dent my airline baggage allowance and stable "enough" for my kit. Ideally would like it attached to my rucksack and hence weight is an issue.

With regards to type of head..not sure why I would want 3 way over a ball head and vice versa?

So far been looking at various giottos and noticed they have a "travel range" which is lighter than their other range. Anyone recommend these? Realise that I prob won't be able to afford carbon fibre and I don't mind buying 2nd hand tripod . A mate bought a red snapper and head but his first comments were "it's heavy" which kinda put me off.

Any assistance greatly appreciated, recommendations on what to consider would be even better. Am due to travel in 2 weeks and will be wanting to take plenty of seascapes .

If it helps understand my needs, as a secondary I'd be keen to use it for macro work when I'm not hand holding the camera but this is not the main requirement.

Cheers,

Shak

Any opinions out there? are travel tripods worth getting as a halfway house? Any recommendations?? Anyone????

I have the Giottos Vitruvian, as well as many others. For what its designed for, its great, but its not very stable. The redsnappers are heavy and pretty large. Ive just sold mine as I rarely used it, prefering one of my Gitzo's

Head choice is personal. I use ball heads for the speed of use, many others use 3 ways for the finer adjustment.

I used the Giottos at Brighton in high wind with a 10 stop filter and the shots were pretty sharp with minimal movement. It was good as I could drive the legs down into the pebbles for a little more stability.
The standard small ballhead carries my D700 and 24-70 or 16-35mm without to much complaint.

The bets thing about the Giottos is how small it folds, less than 40cm I think it is, so it actually fits inside my bag, rather than strapping it to it.

The problem is your requirements vs price. Have a look at Benro Travellers and Giottos Vitruvians. Benro A1685F comes close.

Thanks guys, both models suggested were ones I'd not really heard of before, was looking at Giotto mtl before today. The vitruvian looks interesting especially doubling up as a monopod. The benro does come in quite light weight. I'll look into both and do some more research. Thanks for the replies.....

Don't forget - as if we could - it's only a 104 days to Christmas :bonk:

I know from previous years, Manfrotto etc generally run offers over the Christmas period on some of their tripods inc heads - might be worth a wait and look see what's on offer

Lol if I could wait til Xmas I would but have holiday in less than 2 weeks where I will be (hopefully) taking alot of seascapes and trying out my new 10 stop! Hence need summat sooner

Re: red snapper - did have a go but was fairly heavy and that was without the head.

Still not sure of adv/disadv of ball head over 3 way head??????

Ball heads are faster, smaller, lighter.

3-way allows you to adjust planes individially, which can be useful sometimes, but most folks use ball heads. 3-way have handles sticking out all over the place.

Looks like you're heading for that Benro I mentioned. It fits the bill, especially on price, and gives decent support. The included head is surprisingly good considering the size and price.

The redsnapper legs come in a nce case (can fit a ball head in too) with a padded strap so is easy to carry.

Also if they still run the offer you get a free 3 way head when buying the legs, but I upgraded to the ball head shortly after!

Hi
I've just got a Velbon Sherpa 538 & PH157Q Head from LCE for £70, it's got enough weight to feel stable and a removeable/reversible centre column. Good, smooth head and with the cross braced legs it's very quick to set up.

Just an update, the friend with the red snapper has kindly offered to lend it me for my holiday. So I'll be able to give it a once over before I go and splash the cash.

Thank you to all that replied

Back